purchase an e-pl2?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by joesanphoto, Mar 21, 2011.

1. joesanphoto

joesanphoto New to Mu-43

Nov 21, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I just picked up an e-pl1 from adorama for $450, I notice they now have a $50 rebate on teh e-pl2. I am about to return the pl1 and pick up the pl2..

Can any one here comment on whether or not its worth the extra $100?

Some seem to say the lens makes it focus faster, others are telling me the cam its self focuses faster.. That is a concern of mine..

Thanks in advance!
  2. Paul=Beverley uk

Paul=Beverley uk New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2010
    thats a good question. im a lazy semi pro who fancies the epl2 just for the dramatic tone filter as that suites the way i shoot.
  3. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Only from what I read, and if I had those 100$ to spend, I would return the e-pl1 and get the e-pl2. I think the mkII kit zoom alone is worth it. Not that the mkI is bad, but consider the mkII is movie and still rated (silent), faster to focus, sturdier (one less collapsing element), and compatible with the new extensions (cheap way to increase the wide or tele side without paying for a full dedicated lens). There is no way to get it cheaper right now.

Consider too the processing abilities of the e-pl2 are much stronger and faster in-camera - you can now mix some art filters, add borders to pictures, and previous art-filters have now some tweaking parameters to somewhat soften their effect (less obvious can be better). But what's more important, I have read the faster processor has an impact on the shoot-to-shoot delay too, which is now reduced.

I think overall, the e-pl2 is a much better camera overall, well worth the slight extra. To some extent, it steps well into the e-p2 territory : same top speed, better AA filter, better processor, same styling cues (way less generic looking that the e-pl1), embedded flash (FL-14 still a 100$ extra for the e-p2, and less capable), new hot shoe accessories. What little edge remains to the e-p2 is metal body and one knob...

Just my opinion.

4. joesanphoto

joesanphoto New to Mu-43

Nov 21, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Thank Mauve. Much apprecaited!