Pulling the Trigger on Lumix 14-140! ??

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MrDoug, Jan 11, 2012.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Need your thoughts again.. will I need a assistant to help me carry this Big and Bulky lens around? (14-140)... I will use it on G3 and EPL3? I would like to have the various FOV of the 14-140 to carry around for a multiple purpose lens.. will I regret it? I will probably get flak for asking this question, but, "ask no questions, get no answers" .. the dumbest question is no question.. LOL :smile:
  2. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Also.. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.. :smile::rofl:
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    YMMV, but....

I love the 14-140. It's amazingly sharp, not just for a 10X zoom. Tests I've seen indicate it's as sharp or sharper than the 14-45, and it covers a remarkably useful range. For outdoor use, it's fast enough, and for indoor use it's really no worse than the 14-42 or 14-45 lenses, which many people use. It might interfere with the pop-up flash, though, because of it's length and diameter.

Is it too big? I guess that all depends on your point of view. I'm using mine on a GH2, and it balances quite well and is easy to hand hold. The G3 lacks the grip of the GH2, though, so I can't really speak to how it handles on that camera. What is your basis of comparison? I came to m43 from an EOS 50D, and compared to that body and the lenses I used with it the GH2 and 14-140 is still small. But compared to a P&S camera it's going to be huge.

I know I haven't really answered your question, but hopefully given you some useful things to help you decide.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes, I appreciate your comments.. I think I will give it a shot.. No pun intended.. LOL.. I have heard all good. plus on G3 it has OIS which is a plus...
    thanks for your input..
  5. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010

I agree with the previous poster. The 14-140 is a great lens (my favorite MFT lens in fact). I use mine with a GF1 and an E-P2 and am very happy with the results.

I too come from the dSLR world and am used to working with big cameras (EOS 1dMIIn, Olympus E-5 with power grip), so the 14-140 doesn't seem all that big to me either.
  6. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I have had the the 14-140 for a year, and use it with a GF1. It was my only zoom lens for most of that time (I've recently added a Oly 9-18).

It's big and heavy for a m4/3 lens. I carry the GF1 by the lens when it is attached, and the weight can get to be a pain in the wrist after a few hours.

And it's really an f/5.x lens for most of its range (it reaches f/5.6 quickly).

Unlike the above posters, I don't find it to be all that sharp. Then again I pixel-peep and mostly use prime lenses, so my expectations might be higher. I do find it is a little sharper if I turn OIS off, as long as the shutter speed is high enough. So the OIS switch on the body of the lens is useful.

I do find it to be wonderful for capturing video outdoors (where there is enough light).
  7. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    14-140 love/hate

I bought this lens two years ago, sold it a year ago, and then bought it again a few months ago, when I found that no other lens could replace it.

On the plus side, it has super stabilization and is optically very, very good.

On the minus side, it is a good bit heavier than the Oly 14-150, though not really bulkier by much. It feels much the same as the 45-200, is much more flexible, but a bit slower though most of its range.

Recently, I started carrying it on a PM1 body in a zipped winter jacket pocket - a dense package, but incredibly practical.

For stills where stabilization is required, you could get away with a 14-150 if you use it appropriately on an Oly body with IBIS.

If you use a Panny body and you need the range, it is a must-have.

If you do video at all with a Panny or Oly body, this is a must have.
  8. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks all for the input.. I will give it a shot... :smile:
  9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    In a nutshell, I liked it, then I didn't like it, then I thought about selling it, then the sun came out, then I liked it again.

What Blog is this?: 14-140
    • Like Like x 1
  10. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    It's not sharp at the long end where I used it. Sold it and now I'm happy with that toy-a-like Olympus 40-150. It's a lot sharper.
  11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I've basically been hearing nothing but good things about the Panny 14-140, except for slow aperture in low light - but the lens isn't made for low light. It's a travel and video lens.

But I'm not prepared to pay what the 14-140 costs right now. So I've been considering picking up a smaller and lighter Oly 14-150. No, it won't have IS on a Panasonc body. So that means I would have to fall back on the old shutter speed/focal length formula.

I have a feeling it wouldn't kill me.
  12. brnmatsumoto

brnmatsumoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Go for it. It has such a width of focal lengths it is the only lens I have on the camera body. Also, if you capture video with your camera and you are using the camera's built-in microphone, this lens will provide a "silent" operation so when it changes focus or aperture, your camera will not record the noise of the focusing motor. It is heavier than most of the kit lenses that come with the G3, but subjectively, its weight is not objectionable. My wife hates heavy cameras, but she uses this on her GH2 since she likes working at 50 mm to 140 mm.