Pulling focus on the new GH4?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jeff77789, May 4, 2014.

1. Jeff77789

Jeff77789 New to Mu-43

May 4, 2014
    So I got the new GH4 with the Lumix 20mm f1.7 pancake lens and i don't seem to understand how to pull focus with this setup.

the lens focus ring is "focus by wire" and from ~5ft to infinity is a relatively small turn on the focus ring but from 5in to 5ft is a couple full turns of the focus ring.. is there any way to speed up the focusing speed?

the pancake lens is also very short and i do not have a follow-focus or a shoulder rig so 1. when i move the focus ring with my hand it hits the camera (which can be fixed with a follow focus) but more importantly:

2. without a tripod (and even with a tripod) there is some camera shakiness induced by turning the focus ring..is there any way to avoid this?

with the peaking feature and manual focusing on a canon camera, i have a good idea of how to turn the focus ring for the distances but it seems like these small logistical issues are bigger problems for me

thanks in advance
  2. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    I think you can just "point" on the rear touch screen at the next item you you want to focus on, and "pull focus" this way. Focus by wire isn't, as you've seen, very easy.
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Pulling focus - for video? The 20mm would suck for that.

The focus by touch method Ranger Rick mentioned might work{I don't own a camera that has that feature}.

To pull focus smoothly and quickly you really need a true manual focus lens{and geared follow focus helps a lot too}.

I have never had an issue with the 20mm being shaky but the AF motor is noisy and can be felt while holding the camera, it also suffers from focus breathing.