1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pulled the trigger on Sigma DP2M :) What to expect ?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Bhupinder2002, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys:smile:
    I love MFT but wanted a camera to in my glove box. I tried Fuji X100 few times n still love it want it . But I was always keen on trying Sigma and few threads here and there plus a Price of AUD739 shipped made me pull the trigger on Sigma DP2M today. I am quite positive about this camera and best thing is that I am not a fan of high ISO shooting . I love to shoot at lowest ISO possible and that's where Foveon shines. My only concern is Mac and Sigma compatibity . I am wondering if some one else uses Mac with Sigma software . Is there any IPad all which can edit Sigma files ?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hope it's faster focusing than my DP2 :biggrin:
    Seriously though, the pixel density is really nice on Foveon images :smile:

3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks RTP:thumbup:
    You guys are such a bad influence :mad: .I am planning shoot landscapes and captures Melbourne with this little beast . I think I cam live with focusing and especially when you know it's. gonna be slow . I shot a film with Ricoh and gonna give it for developing today.
    Cheers

4. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Congrats on the purchase, you're gonna love it! I can't help with Mac questions as I'm a win pc user. As for focusing, set your camera to AF Limit mode "ON" for the fastest AF. This reduces close focus distance and works great for street shooting or landscape. You can always turn it off for close up work. The comments that the AF is slow is a myth left over from the early foven incarnations. I shot a train approaching at 40mph this afternoon with no AF difficulty. I am enjoying the simplicity and superb IQ of this camera. Its a low iso shooters dream. If you could buy the 30mm lens separately it would sell for $800, it's that good. So you basically got a lens with a free body plus an excellent sensor!

For best results shoot raw and use Sigma Photo Pro for the initial tweaks. The X3 fill light adjustment in photo pro is quite a treat. Overall the software is super slow and quite underwhelming. Once you've done the initial tweaks save the image as a 16bit tif and import into lightroom or photoshop or your other favorite software for final adjustments. My personal preference with all my cameras is to shoot raw with neutral camera settings and do any specific adjustments with software. That said, even the jpgs are quite nice straight from the DP2M

https://www.mu-43.com/f76/stuck-rr-xing-48056/

You might want to take a look at this Sigma forum:

http://www.seriouscompacts.com/f55/

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If you thought Fuji's were slow focusing...(just a warning) :tongue:
    That being said, I would imagine that Sigma has improved things since my DP2 :smile:

6. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

From the reviews I have read and seen, above ISO800(may have been a bit lower), it isn't that good, i.e. not the best for low light situations. But, on the other hand the pictures I have seen has some great resolution.

7. lawa222

lawa222 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 3, 2013
    I use a DP1M fairly frequently. I can say that, when well exposed, it's the highest IQ digital camera I've ever seen. I haven't worked with many D800E, Leica M, or medium-format back images though.

One thing you'll notice is that you need to work at high shutter speeds or use a tripod. Small body, ISO 100-200 range, no IBIS, and super, super high sharpness makes it brutal to handhold in marginal light, not unlike how a D800 needs superb glass and a tripod. You'll still get solid images for web but won't get the humongous prints that you buy a Merrill for. Also, Foveon highlights seem to dim worse than Foveon darks lighten (and Foveon in general has less PP latitude than E-M5), so you need to nail exposure.

Other than that and the other bazillion quirks, it's a wicked good sensor-lens combo.

8. lapiz

lapiz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 21, 2010
    Hi Bhupinder

The Sigma software runs fine on the Mac but lets just say its a little 'antique'.

I import from raws and batch export the 16 bit tiffs to a folder where they can be imported to Aperture (or Lightroom). The files are big so this can easily take an hour.

Because the files are so big I ruthlessly reject anything I'm not happy with. Aperture handles them well but I do as little as possible there and then get them into Nik software to finish them off.

As ivoire says the fill light function in Silkypix is definitely good but it means the Tiffs have to be individually processed and this takes too long for me - I can get a fill light in Color Efex Pro (Nik) if I want one.

I transfer chosen pics to the iPad for viewing but woudn't contemplate processing them there.

Hope this helps

9. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I was under the impression that the Sigma 19 and 30mm interchangeable lenses were based on the designs used in the DP1 and 2 cameras? Maybe not!

10. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    No idea on this. I have the Sigma 30mm for mft and like it a lot. Size wise it is much larger than the lens on the DP2 and there is a difference in edge to edge sharpness (to my eyes). Every mft shooter should own a Sigma 30mm

11. When I first got my SD14 about five years ago it's raw files could be processed with Picasa if my memory is correct. The camera has been replaced by lighter EP-2 and now OMD. Other than a rare Sigma software freeze I do not recall any specific problem. Here we are talking of Macs with their operating systems of five years ago.

12. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Well done Bhupinder,

I used to own a DP1 a few years ago and despite having painfully slow AF and write times, the images from that Foveon sensor were amazing.

I am considering changing my X100 at the end of this year and the mix so far for a replacement includes in perceived order of preference:

X100s
    Ricoh GR
    Sigma DP3 Merrill

Love to hear your impressions of it and enjoy the journey.

13. I did a small analysis recently on my E-M5, a camera that I am more likely to use at higher ISOs than any other, and a full 75% were taken at the base ISO. I think I could see myself using a DP2M at some point :smile:

14. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    From what I've read you should try to stay at base ISO -- and amen to the gorgeousness of the images from that Foveon sensor.

15. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Yeah, it should be a great camera if you do landscape.

I too can see myself using a DP1 or DP2(less the DP3 as I have less use for that focal length), but the fact you have use it at base or near base ISO is a bit of a no.

16. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Interesting, thanks for the info on that!

Agree 100%, I have it too and really really like it.

17. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I second this. I love my Sigma 30! It is sharp and renders beautifully.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    That's pretty much what I do with my DP2. I'm always at ISO 50 & maybe once in a blue moon, I'll go to 100 :smile:

19. ivoire

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Some say the base is iso 200 on the DP2 Merrill but i almost always shoot at 100iso.

20. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I seriously considered one of the fixed-lens Merrills (probably the DP1M) as a companion to my OMD for use when I could work slowly on a tripod and wanted to print really large. I thought it might fill a role similar to my large format cameras back in the film & darkroom days (my OMD produces quality similar to medium format during that era).

After lots of reading and numbers running, however, I concluded that the DP1M would allow me to print only about 20-25% bigger than the OMD (e.g, 18.5x24 vs. 15x20) with equal quality. That's not nothing, but I didn't think it justified a new camera.

I'd be interested to know whether anyone who owns both these cameras thinks those numbers are off.