Pulled the trigger on a GX7 this morning.....

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by silver92b, Dec 23, 2013.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    So, I've been shooting with an OMD EM5 and loving it. However, I've been thinking of adding a second body to simplify lens changes. I thought about getting a PM2 but I thought I might be downgrading too much, then the EP5 was awfully tempting but for the price... I found today a GX7 body for $728 shipped and went ahead and purchased it. Since the last few days, I've read conflicting reviews on this camera. Some praise it and others criticize it. By some accounts it compares quite favorably to the M5.... I wonder what I am likely to find?
    BTW, I have several PL lenses with the Mega O.I.S. including the 100-300 and 12-140. And the PL25mm f1.4 I also have several Oly lenses including the 12-50 kit lens, the 40-150 and my latest favorite, the 17mmf1.7, along with those, I have a number of legacy lenses: Canon, Konica and Olympus OM.

I think I need to pare down my collection of lenses and perhaps sell the M5... I will find out how well I like the GX7 in the next few days... What do you think?

Thanks!

2. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    Weeel, what I really think is why have you bought the GX7? You say you wanted a second body to simplify lens changes but then go on to ponder selling the E-M5, a camera you love shooting with. What was wrong with the E-M5 that you thought you could rectify by spending over $700 on something else? Until you have a long hard look at why you bought the GX7 and report back the conclusion it's difficult to suggest what your next steps could be.

Michael

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

3. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, like I said, I wanted a second body, but the GX7 sounds like a possible upgrade to the M5. I've also thought that maybe I have complicated my (picture taking) life with too many lenses..... Perhaps I can sell the M5 (if I like the GX7 better) along with some of my lenses and replace them with fewer, better lenses. Maybe get the new Pro zoom 12-35 f2.8 along with maybe the 17.5 Voigtlander f.095 and the Oly 50-200 f2.8-3.5 Zuiko ED. Maybe that would simplify my equipment so I wont need to change lenses so much and get by with the one body....

4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I have the E-M5 since early this year. I added the GX-7 in October for several reasons :

- I really like the ergonomics per the pre-release reviews - buttons and programability, tilt EVF, etc.
    - I wanted the smallest body I could find with a great EVF.
    - I had always been tempted by the thought of two bodies but never quite got there (the closest was a Nikon D7000 and V1)
    - GAS

I'm very happy having both. The GX7 is what I carry around, usually with a small lens (prime or kit zoom). The E-M5 has the RRS L-bracket/grip, so is set up for tripod work. When I bring both, I'll put a stabilized Panny lens like the 12-35 on the GX7, and a non-stabilized lens on the E-M5.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I pulled the trigger on a GX7 yesterday. $728 at Samy's. My GX1 and LX7 will be going soon. The GM1 will be next in my sights. I've had my eye on the E-M5 for a while. But now I think I can wait until the price of the E-M1 comes down. Unless I see a new E-M5 with 12-50mm lens for an absolutely insanely low price.

• Like Like x 1
  6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    The E-M5 is a great camera, that's for sure. It's just that I got the bug and now I'm like with my old roadsters and just keep wanting more toys :wink: I might keep both for a while until I see some significant price drops of the E P5 and the E-M1... The full frame format is awfully appealing, but the cameras/lenses are just too much bigger than the M4/3 cameras... Even the Sony offerings (which have a paucity of lenses). Leica is nice, but who can afford them?

7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, Sony's new full-frame cameras look like they're terrific. But I just don't see myself hauling around FF gear. I'm still trying to decide what to do with my Pentax APS-C kit. My DA Limited primes alone have been reason to keep my Pentax gear. We'll see if the GX7 changes that.

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The Sony A7(r) is actually ridiculously small, especially coupled to the 35/2.8. I would say that all the high end MFT bodies are much better all-round cameras for the money as well as in terms of features (ibis, better AF, better glass lineup - though the quality on the two FE primes is astounding). It's definitely a second system for me, because I knew its 'limitations' going in. MFT and the A7r make for a nicely balanced pair in terms of both physical and sensor size.

9. leftnose

leftnose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    A7r + Zeiss 55/1.8 = $3,300

EM1 + PanLeica 25 = $1,900

GX7 + Panasonic 20/1.7 = $1,150

I have no doubts that the A7r combo above offers the best IQ. Is it worth 3x the price of the GX7 kit, though? Not to me, at least. For me, mirrorless is still a second system, no matter the exact format, and I'm not going to spend so much that I could buy a second 5DIII instead.

I love my GX7/20mm/45mm kit. I may swap the 20 for the upcoming Leica 15 but that will depend on the reviews and price. I'm also interested in a GM1 as a truly pocketable camera but I want a black one and they're not officially available in the US so I may keep the 20 for that as a combo with the kit zoom.

It would be interesting to see the numbers but I bet most people in the US who buy high end mirrorless systems are using them, at least initially, as second systems to compliment DSLR set-ups. I think it may take a few more generations and a few price drops before the A7(r) is truly accepted.

10. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I went from a Nikon D60 to the OM-D E-M5, of course, if I had the high end FF Nikon or Canon systems, I don't know if I would have ended up with the MFT. Knowing what I know now, I think the mirrorless FF cameras will be very popular once the lens choices become more plentiful. Frankly, I never thought much about the bulk factor of the big DSLRs before, but now I know that I would not like lugging around those huge, heavy bodies and lenses.

I have the E-M5 with the grip and extra battery holder, plus the various lenses and all, and one of the reasons I ordered the GX7 was to go back to the small, portable, easy to carry camera. The form factor of the MFT is now very appealing to me. Also, I find that I take a lot more photos than I ever did before with the P&S cameras I had and the D60.

11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I still think it is a mistake to think that mirrorless 44mm sensor cameras are going to compete with ยต4/3 in terms of lens size and weight.

12. thach

thach Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 14, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Also pulled the trigger on a GX7 from Adorama this morning. Decent deal for $728 with 16gb class 10.

Packed up and shipped out Nikon D7000 today as well. Will miss it for the great subject isolation and continuous autofocus, but will not miss the size and weight of it all.

13. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    (carves one more notch in his GX7 grip, tip of his tongue sticking out from one side of his mouth)

14. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Leftnose, agreed! The GX7/20mm combo is a great buy, even down under it can be purchased at pretty good prices and the benefit is c-tick compliant cam and charger, and local warranty. I used it with the 20 for all the Xmas pics, I have the 25mm as well but the 20 provided the required FOV.

I got a Joby Ultra Slim strap for xmas, the GX7 hangs off it nicely, its a really clever design with very high quality CNC machining on the mount and very tough GRP molded parts. Hopefully I get some time soon to try it out walking round, with it unlocked soon as you lift the camera the strap autoslides and its like you dont have a strap on, lower the cam back and pull the front ring up with left hand at same time and its back on your side at whatever height you desire. So far I am impressed!