Pubs.

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
^^^^^
That's really well captured Peter.
I've tried on a few occasions and it's very difficult because of the light in the narrow street and the covered archway you shot it through.
Well done sir.

Thanks Brian. What I found most challenging was the amount of pedestrian traffic. I had to wait patiently for my window of opportunity, otherwise it would have been a portrait of a stranger with a pub in the background.

I found these little archways around Shrewsbury to be fascinating. Just small openings within the housing terraces which opened up to a much bigger location than you could imagine. Concealed communities, pretty courtyards and in this case, an entire street. It's a shame that many of the archways are used for storage or a residence for waste bins because it really detracts from their charm.

I only had a couple of hours in Shrewsbury and that really wasn't enough to fully explore the town, so hopefully we'll go back one day when time isn't in such short supply.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Yes, it's a fascinating place with lots of hidden gems.
While my other half goes shopping I usually go exploring them and have a happy couple of hours with my camera.
Here's another couple of pub shots from the town.
1607-59 The Hole in the Wall.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
1712-52GX.jpg
1712-56GX.jpg

betamax

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan
P9120012ar.jpg

mcgillro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Martinborough Hotel - the "Marty". This was an old run down building when I was a child, but had huge make over a few years ago and now has boutique suites upstairs, but it is still the local downstairs for a few.

37181605594_9eb00563ad_h.jpg
IMG_2696_7_8 Martinborough the Marty by Rose McGillicuddy, on Flickr

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
Once upon a time I tended to go to "dive bars." Did it for years...
had collection of pic of dive bar bathrooms from Wisconsin, USA trips but lost it.

Someone once said to me all WI bars are dive bars...not so, but many country taverns are "loose."

This thread brought memories up.... will search for some pics maybe make a new Dive Bar thread...depends....in the meantime...here is Cal's 400 Bar or Liquors, depending on where you were standing, Corner of Wells/VanBuren, Chicago s'west Loop. Defined "Dive Bars." Had it all, and didn't...was decase to the max. Only time one did not want to be around is when the unpotty received its annual cleaning...high pressure hose, shot too-fragrant Pinesol, Lysol, Clorox mix into it and "debrowned" it...
CalsWellsVanburen.jpg

Attachments

• Calinside1.jpg
    Calinside1.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Seahawk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Medieval pub in Rothenburg, Germany.
1600272215135.jpeg

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
The city I live in has a population of 40,000 to 50,000, and it has 3 bars. The first photo is also a brew pub, and before it was a pub, it was where Alcoholic Anonymous would meet.

50269515882_e27eb755b1_o.jpg
EM122021-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

50269341076_8f8ed6e285_o.jpg
EM122309-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

50227330302_752d7c2665_o.jpg
EM122022-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
The city I live in has a population of 40,000 to 50,000, and it has 3 bars. The first photo is also a brew pub, and before it was a pub, it was where Alcoholic Anonymous would meet.

View attachment 847330 EM122021-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

View attachment 847331 EM122309-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

View attachment 847332 EM122022-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr
Not like the old days, when you needed to buy a club membership to soak up some suds! Better hurry, though, before temperance makes a comeback.

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
Not like the old days, when you needed to buy a club membership to soak up some suds! Better hurry, though, before temperance makes a comeback.
Utah even has medicinal marijuana now, but the nearest state dispensary is 200 miles away. Also very few Dr's that are willing to prescribe it. Utah did however make the state run liquor stores an essential service during their minimal Covid shut down. I think it was mostly essential due to the revenue that it generates though.

@WhidbeyLVR , are you a former resident, or a frequent visitor?

Last edited:

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
Utah even has medicinal marijuana now, but the nearest state dispensary is 200 miles away. Also very few Dr's that are willing to prescribe it. Utah did however make the state run liquor stores an essential service during their minimal Covid shut down. I think it was mostly essential due to the revenue that it generates though.

@WhidbeyLVR , are you a former resident, or a frequent visitor?
Infrequent visitor. Parks and monuments: Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, etc.

My recently departed father-in-law was a WWII vet, navigator in the 388th Bombardment Group (B-17s). The current successor group to that unit is the 388th Fighter Wing at Hill AFB. The vet group held a few reunions there over the years, and I attended two. I became a "club member" at several local eateries during those visits and remember it as being an odd and humorous end-around on temperance blue laws. Most of the vets saved their bucks and did their drinking at the reunion conference room in the hotel, where they had a "free" self-service bar set up for the 5 days of the reunion. Then they raffled off the remnants at the end. :laugh:

Last visit was 2014, I think. I really need to go back.

fishtug

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Monty
This was my 'local' for years -Got my first bartending job there and that was the start of a nearly 35 year career - Sadly the place has been torn down and the area was condo-ized!
Green Hornet Sign ♠ 115.JPG
Green Hornet ♠ 116.JPG

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

View attachment 847330 EM122021-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

View attachment 847331 EM122309-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

View attachment 847332 EM122022-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr
Hey Harvey, I found it simply impossible that a city of that size could only have 3 bars - in Australia, that'd be severely under-catering for the population! So I did a sneaky search online to find the location, then looked for bars there in Google Maps, which thinks there are a few more matches. Not that I'm actually doubting you, it just surprised me. Is this a 'normal' number of bars per capita in Utah?

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson
Hey Harvey, I found it simply impossible that a city of that size could only have 3 bars - in Australia, that'd be severely under-catering for the population! So I did a sneaky search online to find the location, then looked for bars there in Google Maps, which thinks there are a few more matches. Not that I'm actually doubting you, it just surprised me. Is this a 'normal' number of bars per capita in Utah?
Interesting,....La Crosse, WI, USA, has pop of 40 - 50K and plays in 70 or so taverns, depending on what day you count.
Winona, MN, pop 26K has about 49 taverns
But C-19 has closed many of them...
Swill rules.

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
Utah is about 50% Latter Day Saints, who are not “suppose“ to consume alcohol, while the state legislature is probably 90% LDS. There are lots of just over the border towns that cater to Utahns looking for something else.

When I was in college I was in a town of 15,000 that had over 30 bars and the drinking age was 19. Eight miles to the west was a University with a student population of 15,000 and a drinking age of 21. The road between the towns was very busy in the evenings. Everything is 21 now, so I’m sure a lot of bars dried up.

jederick

Mu-43 All-Pro
Utah is about 50% Latter Day Saints, who are not “suppose“ to consume alcohol, while the state legislature is probably 90% LDS. There are lots of just over the border towns that cater to Utahns looking for something else.

When I was in college I was in a town of 15,000 that had over 30 bars and the drinking age was 19. Eight miles to the west was a University with a student population of 15,000 and a drinking age of 21. The road between the towns was very busy in the evenings. Everything is 21 now, so I’m sure a lot of bars dried up.
Was this in Utah? Trying to think where there was a drinking age of 19...

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ah, thank you, that does make more sense now! The legal drinking age in Oz is 18, but we have far fewer pubs than we did in the early settlement era - our village, population 100, once had 3 pubs, and the population wouldn't have been hugely greater.

BobBill

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Bob Hively-Johnson

I now never deal with Utah.
Stopped there once, during Oct playoffs on way to Southern CA. Small town...went to place had a bar, which had closed the bar but restaurant was open with TV. So, sat for a bit and waited for service...after 10 min maid came, ordered a Bud and asked for a menu. Ten minutes later was told, no Bud. And one needed to have food with bars service. Ordered crackers and came with the Bud. Felt the "prejudice." But was not indignant but remained polite and accommodating.
Easy to drive from SLC to bypass Utah. Will never return to this state...
My lowly country town in MN is 26K+ pop with 60 taverns...no one frowns...(before C-19 altered life). Some selfish locals are maskless...like the dingers in Utah...

And I know what "outsider" means....never again. Dingers.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom