Pubs.

A pair of pubs, sat on either side of a T junction in Morgan, South Australia. The good dog was there with her people.
2021_0506_19023600-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
2021_0506_19030600-01.jpeg

2021_0506_19312500-01.jpeg

The Bon Accord at Burra, an historic mining town in South Australia. Buy a meal and you can camp for free out the back.
2021_0507_18463600-01.jpeg

The historic Overland Corner Hotel between Waikerie and Barmera, on the River Murray.
2021_0506_13344200-01.jpeg

Once upon a time, the handsome Black Rock Gallery was a hotel. You have to drive off the bitumen down a dirt side road to see it.
2021_0508_17120900-01.jpeg

Two lovely old pubs Melanie.
Just read some history of Black Rock.
Interesting, and I suspect typical of the outback areas being developed in those times.
Keep them coming.
Absolutely typical - after a flush of good years, settlers pushed past the Goyder Line into country which couldn't sustain them, and the wealth of stone ruins throughout much of South Australia is testament to their heartbreak. Stay tuned for the Johnburgh Hotel, up the road aways...

As promised: the former Johnburgh Hotel, set on a lonely road northeast of Orroroo, and off the main road to more popular tourist areas. It didn't appear too badly vandalised, but there were signs of various animal visitations.
2021_0509_14011700(2)-01.jpeg
2021_0509_14053900-01.jpeg
2021_0509_14123200-01.jpeg
2021_0509_14224800-01.jpeg
2021_0509_14331700-01.jpeg

Vermont3133

We Both Love M43
Love those pics Melanie!
SA sure has an abundance 'photogenic' ruins heading north.
A couple of years ago we drove from Melbourne to Parachilna [stopping at Burra on the way...a little town with lots of character...including of course the famous 'Midnight Oil House']

Love those pics Melanie!
SA sure has an abundance 'photogenic' ruins heading north.
A couple of years ago we drove from Melbourne to Parachilna [stopping at Burra on the way...a little town with lots of character...including of course the famous 'Midnight Oil House']
Ah yes...it's a funny thing, I don't think I was even aware of the Midnight Oil House until recent years, probably as it's been actually put on local maps as a tourist attraction, and given its own car parking lot.

Apologies for going off topic, but this is that famous ruin, used for the cover of Aussie rock band Midnight Oil's album Diesel and Dust:
2021_0508_15102100-01.jpeg

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
Ah yes...it's a funny thing, I don't think I was even aware of the Midnight Oil House until recent years, probably as it's been actually put on local maps as a tourist attraction, and given its own car parking lot.

Apologies for going off topic, but this is that famous ruin, used for the cover of Aussie rock band Midnight Oil's album Diesel and Dust:
View attachment 890181
Wo, thanks to both of you for enlightening me about this.
One of my very favourite bands and albums of all time, loved here in old South Wales.
Now sadly deaf, so can't listen to music but I've already got some of their toons playing in my head again. :2thumbs:

Vermont3133

We Both Love M43

View attachment 890181

My apologies for continuing the OT direction but here is the Burra house in greener times!

SA 1.jpg

Vermont3133

We Both Love M43
And back on topic [if not platform].
The Prairie Hotel at Parachilna. This Pub is perched on the edge of the desert in South Australia and provides a sophisticated stop for the thirsty and hungry. The hotel specializes in serving 'feral' food [with the assurances they don't use roadkill 😅 ]. So its the place to try Kanga, Emu, Camel etc. [Fortunately they don't serve things like Koala Casserole or Butterflied Budgie]
It's also famous for it's collection of outside metal sculpture including the famous Stockman...see inserted.

SA 2.jpg
SA 3.jpg

Last edited:
As promised: the former Johnburgh Hotel, set on a lonely road northeast of Orroroo, and off the main road to more popular tourist areas. It didn't appear too badly vandalised, but there were signs of various animal visitations.
View attachment 890134 View attachment 890135 View attachment 890136 View attachment 890137 View attachment 890138
Beautiful series Melanie.
Lovely old but sadly decaying building.
It is so dry there! Ouch!
That wretched prickly pear doesn't suffer though :(

Good to see thanks, plus others that have chipped in.

I loved our meanders through outback SA many eons ago

And back on topic [if not platform].
The Prairie Hotel at Parachilna. This Pub is perched on the edge of the desert in South Australia and provides a sophisticated stop for the thirsty and hungry. The hotel specializes in serving 'feral' food [with the assurances they don't use roadkill 😅 ]. So its the place to try Kanga, Emu, Camel etc. [Fortunately they don't serve things like Koala Casserole or Butterflied Budgie]
It's also famous for it's collection of outside metal sculpture including the famous Stockman...see inserted.

View attachment 890259 View attachment 890260
The Prairie Hotel was closed for renovations when we pulled in, famished, so I had to rustle up something at camp in the gorge.

Funny thing: our local publican, here in western Victoria (I've shared photos of its magpies earlier in the thread), has a house in Parachilna, and previous cooks here have also worked at The Prairie, plus another distant relation also cooked there.

The owners have a station further north, Nilpena, renowned for the important discovery of Ediacaran fossils @John King mentioned on my visual diary travel post. It's a remarkable part of the world, probably too harsh for the likes of me to inhabit!

Beautiful series Melanie.
Lovely old but sadly decaying building.
It is so dry there! Ouch!
That wretched prickly pear doesn't suffer though :(

Good to see thanks, plus others that have chipped in.

I loved our meanders through outback SA many eons ago
It was painfully dry, but I have a little secret: I much prefer to photograph ruins after the grass has dried off (or disappeared entirely!), so that worked for me 😉

Haworth, Yorkshire
51218353498_fb3e5cd04e_o.jpg

Cradock Hotel, between Orroroo and Hawker, has been taken over and renovated by a local farmer to ensure he has a "watering hole" in his district! It has apparently been very successful, serving the passing tourists.
2021_0509_16342500-01.jpeg
2021_0509_16331200-01.jpeg

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
51215261635_517b1bfc95_h.jpg

Meekatharra Hotel by Andrew Priest, on Flickr

The rather colourful Meekatharra Hotel on the main street of Meekatharra. You can currently get a motel room for $99 a night if you are so inclined. One curiosity is that the hotel is not apparently heritage listed. There is one listed in town but not this one.

Gascoyne Murchison Outback Pathway Exploration July-August 2020 - #GMOPE 48.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom