Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Just sold for "permanent exhibition in one location." My cut $99

MNFR2A.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

foxtail1

Science geek & photo nut
Real Name
Kristi
I seem to do better at published than I do at paid. I've had a few images used in books and magazines, and one image in particular (cargo containers on a ship in Seattle) pirated all over the internet. But I did have some interesting exposure earlier this year. I heard that an otter had been seen in a pond on the Virginia Tech campus, so I dashed over there, camera in hand. He/she was fortunately as curious about me as I was about him, and I got a few decent shots, though nothing high quality. Several weeks later, I was contacted by the social media director for the university, asking if she could use the photos on VT social media, and I said sure. When it hit (initially with the pic below), it got thousands of hits, comments, and shares on IG, FB, and Twitter. I was in Ireland on vacation and my phone blew up with requests from media outlets to use the pictures. I just this week found my image in the university magazine (no credit there, but it was credited in their online version: https://www.vtmag.vt.edu/sum19/drillfield-otter.php).

46327524245_5bad65a102_h.jpg

Otter by Kristi, on Flickr

The kicker is that by the time the image was published and shared all over, and people were flocking to the pond to try to spot the otter, I'm pretty sure it had been gone for some time.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
So... One of the most famous pole dance artists (Henriikka Roo) in Finland asked me - once again - to come and shoot her act. This time the venue was something different though: The yearly sports gala for atheletes in Häme (a region in Finland). So I suited up, grabbed my gear and headed out.

Jump forward a few weeks. The sports association who held the gala event also publish a magazine that comes out 4 times a year and they decided to use one of my photos for the cover of this year's first issue. I didn't get paid for it but I didn't mind since it was my first "cover shot". :)

hämeen_sportti.jpg

PS. This happened months ago but I just noticed this thread again yesterday and thought I'd share this with you guys too.

Last edited:

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Issue 8 of Brick Fanatics Magazine.

Unpaid - a friend did a collaboration with the city library network (my wife used to be a librarian) to promote astronomy week around the same time that New Horizons was turning up at Pluto. He made some bespoke Lego models that were displayed in the libraries, and I took photos that were used in posters.

I just got sent a copy of the UK magazine that featured his model, and my photo:

1564648499106.png

Yes, I did set out to replicate that shot of Buzz. I used an off camera speedlight as key, plus another as fill. The 'moon' is carpet, carefully lit to control spill at the 'horizon', plus a little bit of Photoshop to really make the background dark.

Last edited:

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Didn't think this stood much chance of selling. It had been raining and the sky was pretty grey but then the sun broke through creating flare top right. Anyways, it just sold to a travel marketing company

FKNNJ1.jpg

Mike Peters

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Peters
081219_9159_Route 46 Billboard Ad.jpg

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
I have around 40 lorikeet pictures at stock but this is the only one with the additional tag of "love" and "friendship" so I'm guessing one of these tags just sold it. It's not even a good one showing detail as the birds are rain sodden. I guess it's because of what they represent.

FT16C2.jpg

John M Flores

Super Moderator
@Harvey Melvin Richards teased me about being the owner of RoadRUNNER Magazine where I get many of my photos published. I'm not, just a longtime contributor.

But maybe you were predicting my future, Harvey, as I'm now editor in chief of On The Level, the official magazine of the BMW Riders Association, one of the largest BMW motorcycle clubs in the United States. Here are some of the photos that I've taken for the magazine. All taken with the Lumix G9 and a variety of lenses.

49062115467_8d6e980d03_b.jpg

BMW Riders Association "On the Level" Magazine, July-August 2019 by John Flores, on Flickr

49062109722_72e1e01d77_b.jpg

"Come on In" lede photo by John Flores, on Flickr

49062093212_49e4975c72_b.jpg

BMW Riders Association "On the Level" Magazine, Nov-Dec 2019 by John Flores, on Flickr

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
@Harvey Melvin Richards teased me about being the owner of RoadRUNNER Magazine where I get many of my photos published. I'm not, just a longtime contributor.

But maybe you were predicting my future, Harvey, as I'm now editor in chief of On The Level, the official magazine of the BMW Riders Association, one of the largest BMW motorcycle clubs in the United States. Here are some of the photos that I've taken for the magazine. All taken with the Lumix G9 and a variety of lenses.

View attachment 785954 BMW Riders Association "On the Level" Magazine, July-August 2019 by John Flores, on Flickr

View attachment 785955 "Come on In" lede photo by John Flores, on Flickr

View attachment 785956 BMW Riders Association "On the Level" Magazine, Nov-Dec 2019 by John Flores, on Flickr
Fantastic work. I also had a GX85 previously and am now using a G9. Now I just need to have dozens of pictures published! :D

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I've had a couple of photos from this thread published both online and in paper. A few newspaper ads and at least one review of the show in a printed paper. The online ones have been reviews of the show. Too bad that the papers won't be paying anything to me but at least my name has been published everywhere (though I had to contact one site to get my name visible). And I did get paid by the comedy theater.

I heard a couple of days ago that the client would be interested in my services in the future too. :)

PS. Congratz, @John M Flores !

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Thanks everyone! Micro Four-Thirds is great for the kind of work that I do.

Congratulations, John!

Coincidentally, I just bought a BMW(R Nine T Scrambler) a couple of weeks ago. However, even though I’ve owned several BMW motorcycles, I don’t belong to the BMWRA, or the BMWMOA.

Enjoy the R Nine T Scrambler. Fun bike!

31496176923_8f67f6a7a8_b.jpg

BMW R nineT Scrambler on the shores of Cayuga Lake by John Flores, on Flickr

I hear that the editor of the BMWRA magazine shoots with Micro Four-Thirds ?

Isetta? I've never been inside one... Nice shot.

And congratulations on the new position!

Yup, Isetta!

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Thanks everyone! Micro Four-Thirds is great for the kind of work that I do.

Enjoy the R Nine T Scrambler. Fun bike!

View attachment 786009
BMW R nineT Scrambler on the shores of Cayuga Lake by John Flores, on Flickr

I hear that the editor of the BMWRA magazine shoots with Micro Four-Thirds ?

Yup, Isetta!
It does seem like the right form factor for your work, as you probably want to travel as light as you can. I bet the G9 felt like a hefty upgrade in that case—it’s a very solid body with some weight to it, especially versus the relatively tiny GX85.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Legend
Nice start to the New Year. The lorikeets above have sold again to the same publisher strangely enough? Wonder why they bought "one time use" first time around?

This one netted me $95 at 700 x 525. I wonder what it would have netted at full res? :)

RXJ7EW.jpg

And this one sold yet again but forgive me as it isn't m43. It's a scan of my son taken with my old Hasselblad 25yrs ago which I show merely to advise that anything can sell if tagged properly. The baby has motion blur and burned highlights.

FM8TTD.jpg

richardp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Just noticed this thread, well done to everyone who has been published.

This shot of mine was published in Amateur Photographer in September 2018. I took it with my Oly e-pl3 and Jupiter 11 a few months before that and sent it to them, they ran it as part of an article on second hand gear. (You'll also find it on the Adapted Lens image thread on this site.)
P4132612.JPG

richardp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
This one was published in Italia magazine in September 2019 - it was a runner up in their monthly photo competition. The location is Lago Trasimeno in central Italy.
Taken with the Oly E-pl3 and a Pentax Auto110 50mm lens, again it was in the Adapted Lens image thread on this site.
P8053431.JPG

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Does this count as published???

Olympus UK featured one of my photos in their main Instagram feed today

242E639D-B89F-4A4B-9A40-C357E8D57838.jpeg

http://instagr.am/p/CL06jGWoadG/

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
One of my photos made the local printed paper this week
1618583340007.png

Here is the original...
P4060076.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom