Published!

John M Flores

Super Moderator
If you want to see what a still from a 4K video looks like, head on down to your local Barnes & Noble (or other store with a good magazine rack) and check out the Dec 2017 issue of RoadRUNNER Magazine. My second George A Wyman story is there and it was shot with a pair of GX85s. I was delighted that they chose my image for the cover and had no issue with the quality of a still pulled from 4k video.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2017-12 RoadRUNNER Cover by John Flores, on Flickr

2017-12 RoadRUNNER Magazine Cover by John Flores, on Flickr

2017-12-Wyman Spread by John Flores, on Flickr

After years of using crash cameras with intervalometers, 4K is a game changer for me.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
@John M Flores Great photos. Is that a medium shallow ICU you're using to transport everything?
Thanks. Yup, that's a Medium Shallow ICU, although I wish that I had the Medium Slope to so that I can stand the GX85 on its side. The width of the GX85 from one camera strap hook to the other is deeper than the Medium Shallow.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
x-posted in Clouds over Your Country.

I'm totally chuffed that RoadRUNNER Magazine chose this photo for the opening spread of my latest story!

Lonesome Wyoming by John Flores, on Flickr

Shot with the GX85 and the 35-100 Vario collapsing zoom lens, a mighty little combination!

c64

Mu-43 Regular
Posting photos online can offer some good opportunities to sell photos. (if you're lucky ;-)

Let me tell you my best experience:
I posted this photos of Marseille on my Flickr page in 2010. It was just a quick snap from the porthole of a commercial flight.

View attachment 600815

5 years later I've been contacted to sell my photo for a film poster with Jean Dujardin !
View attachment 600816
It paid me 2 flights from France to Rio de Janeiro with my wife, and now my coworkers think I'm an excellent photographer (who i'm not) :)

Orbmiser

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Posting photos online can offer some good opportunities to sell photos. (if you're lucky ;-)

I posted this photos of Marseille on my Flickr page in 2010. It was just a quick snap from the porthole of a commercial flight.

View attachment 600815

5 years later I've been contacted to sell my photo for a film poster with Jean Dujardin !
View attachment 600816
It paid me 2 flights from France to Rio de Janeiro with my wife, and now my coworkers think I'm an excellent photographer (who i'm not) :)
Yep generally contact by buyer thru flickr. Even Getty contacted me thru flickr.
Some images I just Meh and scratch my head. Like 1st sale from Getty.
To
Feb. 15th 2012 - 1st Sale for Stock on Getty to GJ Wirtschaftsmedien AG & Co. Germany.
Premium Access Time Limited $33.98 ($6.40)

Go figure. Had one also didn't think that good.
Sold to Eaton Fine Arts in Tx. for Sheraton hotels at $240 a copy.

And consider myself an average photographer.
No where near those WoW Pro's works I see and aspire to.

John M Flores

Super Moderator

View attachment 600815

View attachment 600816

This is an awesome story! Well done!

John M Flores

Super Moderator
The last 2 spreads of my 5-part cross-country series for RoadRUNNER Magazine, both shot with the GX85 + G Vario 12-32 kit zoom

2018-04 Wyman 04 800 Miles of Corn by John Flores, on Flickr

2018-06 Wyman 05 In the Tire Tracks of a Pioneer by John Flores, on Flickr

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago

Jason Stamper

Mu-43 Veteran
I've had quite a few picture published on an online magazine called The Trackside Photographer. One of the articles got picked up by a model railroading magazine in the UK and was printed over two issues. I was pretty amazed that all that happened, as I consider myself to be still learning. Here's a link to that article on the Trackside article, and all shots were with my original E-M1.

A Steam Powered Time Machine - The Trackside Photographer

This was one of my favorites from the article. The Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad in Chama, NM.

Jason Stamper

Mu-43 Veteran
I've actually had several articles published in the Trackside Photographer, this one is from my article on the Doe River Gorge. It was part of the original East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad in Hampton, TN.

The Doe River Gorge - The Trackside Photographer

Jason Stamper

Mu-43 Veteran
Finally, another oddity, which is a norm for me lol. I dabble a bit in model railroading. I had an article printed in a book called the NTrack Steam annual. It was about some customization that I did for a pair of N scale steam locomotives. I shot lots of pictures for the article, and the printed book looks very nice. I used the in camera stacking for these images to get enough DOF.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I've got TWO stories in the Oct 2018 issue of RoadRUNNER Magazine

2018-10-RoadRUNNER Totally Eclipsed by John Flores, on Flickr

Shot with the Lumix GX85 + Olympus 12mm F2.0. 10 sec exposure at ISO1600. Took about 30 minutes to get the shot, from initial setup, tests, and multiple takes with light painting the bike with a headlamp. Then I slept here:

It's hard to find two trees for a hammock at the Alcova Reservoir in Wyoming by John Flores, on Flickr

This was the money shot from the trip, ended up full page in the story:

The Great American Eclipse from Mackay, ID by John Flores, on Flickr

Lumix 12-32 Vario at 18mm/F4.2. Quarter second at ISO 200. Triggered remotely via WiFi and the Lumix app. I pushed the file pretty hard in post (+.7 exposure plus other settings) to get it to here. The 16 megapickle sensor in the GX85 is pretty malleable in post.

I had 2 minutes 17 seconds to get that shot and this one, taken with the Pentax Q with the 55-300 K-mount zoom.

Total Eclipse from Mackay, ID by John Flores, on Flickr

It was a touch stressful but totally worth it, and I did manage to take a good amount of that time just looking up and marveling at the total eclipse.

"And then someone flicked the cosmic light switch and morning became dusk in the blink of an eye. A collective gasp escaped everyone’s lips. I took the solar glasses off and witnessed tendrils of light curling into the cosmos from an inky black hole. And the air suddenly cooled my skin. Nearly noon and it’s night. My rational mind knew exactly what was happening but I was speechless. The total eclipse of 2017 in the highlands of Mackay, ID, was one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen. And I’ve seen things.

And just as quickly as it started, it ended. Two-thousand miles for two minutes and 17 seconds. Oh well. It was worth every single mile and nanosecond."

Shot with the Lumix GX85 + 35-100mm F2.8 Vario on a moving boat in choppy seas. Image stabilization helped me nail this shot.

2018-10-RoadRUNNER Cry of the Guanaco by John Flores, on Flickr

"Write it down, write it all down before you forget! Write about the bikes, the people, the roads, the plains, the mountains, the lakes, the rivers, the glaciers, and the guanaco. Don’t forget the guanaco …"

This is a handheld 5 shot panoramic with the GX85 + 14mm/F2.5 that ended up spread over two pages in the magazine.

Parque Nacional Torres del Paine, Chile by John Flores, on Flickr

We're on the move through the national park so I'm trying to be quick and efficient with shooting. I've got the GX85 with 14mm hanging around my neck so when we stopped, I shot with what I had available. Lightroom does a good job stitching and gives you a DNG final (if the source files are DNG). Just give it plenty of overlap to work with and mind your horizon and levels while shooting.

Lot of great shots taken during this once-in-a-lifetime trip. Click through to see more. Or got to Barnes & Noble and pick up a copy.

Last edited:

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
Just sold again. I have a strong attachment to this shot as it's the youngest of my five sons and was shot with a Hasselblad 24 yrs ago and self developed/printed and years later the print was scanned (I lost the neg) on arrival of digital into the market. Knowing what I know now about PP I would have sorted out those blown highlights but what the heck! It sells anyway!

Bathtime In a Cornish Kitchen by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Well done John. Are you a secret owner of this magazine?:biggrin:
Ha ha! I've been writing and photographing for them for over 12 years now. When I started, I was the new guy with no experience and I made it my goal to become their go-to guy. I'm nearly there and have been in nearly every single issue the past couple of years.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom