Published!

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Share photos taken with Micro Four-Thirds cameras that have been published! Newspapers, magazines, billboards, websites!

John M Flores

Super Moderator

@Michael

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Michael Janke
I have a few....

This one got picked up by Boston Review's monthly magazine for an education related article:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Schoolhouse by Michael Janke, on Flickr

It got printed really small in the corner of the page. :)

This one and a couple more made it on to a national news broadcast (PBS Newshour, IIRC) for about 4 seconds:
Window by Michael Janke, on Flickr

This one was supposed to have been used by the National Park Service on signage at Indiana Dunes Lakeshore. They showed me a mockup of the sign. Not sure if they ever put up the signage or not:

Fly, Dragon by Michael Janke, on Flickr

Mine are mostly licensed Creative Commons, so they get used on low-buck web sites on occasion.

--Mike

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Last edited:

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro

@Michael

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Michael Janke

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
A contents page backgrounder (double A4 pages) for a national fishing magazine from my first outing with my E-M5 and 12-40 Pro.

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
And more recently I got my picture on the cover (but not of The Rolling Stones) of a magazine:

Two similar shots were posted on a thread here a while ago - so I must have a good editorial eye ...o_O

John M Flores

Super Moderator
"I stand at the intersection of Market and Kearny Streets in San Francisco. Tall buildings block the sun and reflect the noise of the city back onto the pavement while tourists and businesspeople scurry about until the little red hand icon tells them to stop, whereupon they stand at the curb and stare at their phones. I am invisible to the preoccupied masses as I admire Lotta’s Fountain, a 24-foot-tall cast iron relic from the 19th century. This fountain has born witness to plenty of history, from soldiers returning home from war to athletes celebrating championships. And in 1903, a 26-year-old fellow by the name of George A. Wyman mounted his newfangled motor bicycle and left Lotta’s Fountain with the idea of riding across the country."

In 2016 I crossed the country on an electric motorcycle, following the route of George A. Wyman, who, in 1903, became the first person to cross the country with a motorized vehicle. The first of five stories about the trip appears in the October 2017 issue of RoadRUNNER Magazine.

RoadRUNNER is available at Barnes & Noble and other booksellers. A preview of the story can be found here: RoadRUNNER Magazine | California and Nevada: In the Tire Tracks of a Pioneer

In the Tire Tracks of a Pioneer by John Flores, on Flickr

2017-10-Wyman 1_RoadRUNNER Oct17_Flores-98-99 by John Flores, on Flickr

The adventure was documented with Lumix, a pair of GX85s along with a GM1 that was always hanging from my neck, even on the motorcycle. To save space, I used the 12-32mm and 35-100mm Vario zooms with the collapsing design, along with an array for primes (Panny 8mm Fisheye and 20mm F1.7, Olympus 12mm F2.0 and 45mm F1.8). I used 49mm step up rings so that I could share lens caps and ND/polarizing filters. Quality was more than sufficient for the magazine, although there were some evenings where I wish I had an extra stop or two of performance. At 100% you can see noise as low as ISO400 but it has no appreciable impact on the final product.

Interestingly, I used 4k video mode and extracted magazine worthy 8 megapickle stills. Quality is like a good JPG; get it right in camera to minimize post. All the action selfies in the story were taken this way.

Tools of the Trade by John Flores, on Flickr

John M Flores

Super Moderator
You know, I never actually thought of hanging the camera around my neck under my jacket on the bike. That would certainly make it much quicker to pull out and take a shot.
I actually keep the camera outside my jacket with the lens cap off for even faster access. That helps me get shots like this.

Locomotive by John Flores, on Flickr

wolfie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ye ha - one of my recent photos won a weekly photo competition in the local magazine (and another restaurant voucher - yum!)

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
The Dr Who shoot I did in June was published in a tourist magazine in July - the sort that ends up in hotels and holiday parks with listings of what to do in the area. Three of the six published images were mine, shot on the EM-1. It's hardly big time but it's nice to be published!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom