1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Public asking questions

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by mowog6000, Jan 27, 2013.

1. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I have been out and about with my EPL-5 lately and have been stopped by people wanting to know what kind of camera it is, at the coast an elderly man
    was interested because he can't handle a big DSLR anymore I think I sold him on the Pen after letting him handle it and see the quality. At the museum on Friday I was stopped twice by men asking me about it I was walking around with a Minolta MD lens on it and one guy got very excited when he learned he could use all his old legacy glass on the Pen ,he even took a phone picture of the camera The other one was impressed by the flipup EVF.
    When walking around with legacy glass I get asked "Is that a film camera" and most are surprised it is a digital camera. I have seen the latest Oly ad on the new Pens and think they are missing the mark by making them hip They should be showing the legacy glass aspect of these cameras IMO.
    Another thing is the on going argument I'm having with my son regarding DSLRs he insists that they are the best but complains about the size when he wants to go bike riding and is looking into getting a NEX. When I go to meetups almost all of them are lugging around a ton of DSLR gear while I have one or two lenses stuck in a pocket!

• Like Like x 1
  2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I had the same last week. I went with some nature photographer to count Black Kite at their sleeping area. Most of them asked, what is the small camera I am holding, and teased me if it can shot birds. Some of them carried large Canon and Nikon zoom which were slower. After shooting with the G5 and the P45-200 and seeing the speed difference, they changed their mind regarding the :43:, starting to ask questions regarding costs and picture quality. I am sure that after we get a fast telephoto in our lens arsenal we will see another wave of shooters joining the :43: crowd.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have retired my FF cameras for µ4/3. While there are differences between the images of the two systems, for me those differences are insignificant. So when your son argues ... just smile.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  4. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    While it is a selling point, I don't think Olympus would ever highlight it in advertising.There is simply no money in it for them.They would rather we buy their lenses.And, in fact,while old lenses are a kick to use once in a while,as M4/3 lens choices have expanded,there is less need to use the legacy lenses.Legacy focal length is pretty much restricted to 100mm and up.How many of us have all but quit using our old glass as our native arsenal has expanded?not that there aren't wonderful examples of photography on display here with infinite lens/camera combos.

• Like Like x 1
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I shoot weddings. I get asked about the Silver EM5 at every wedding. But the black one, not so much.

Gordon

6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I get asked by non-photographers about my Canon gear when I have the 70-200 on it. Never been asked anything about my EMP1. But it doesn't look as old school as the other pens to me.

7. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    Maybe so,but the ability to use legacy lenses was the selling point for me when I bought my EPL-1 and 2 people in the last week were really jazzed about being able to do that. Also not all of us have the bucks to lay out for prime lenses and we can still get great results with legacy lenses. I was shooting in the Museum with a 28mm f2.8 Minolta MD lens giving me an effective 56mm f 2.8 that I paid $40 for, how much would a equivalent prime lens cost?

• Like Like x 1
  8. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Yeah- legacy lens use was a bug selling point for me with µ4/3, soooo many old MF lenses laying around.

I've only ever seen one other µ4/3 camera user out in the wild ever though :frown: It was a G1 with a kit zoom lens. I was super excited to talk to the owner, but then realized the person was using it as an upgrade from a point and shoot and only owned the one lens and didn't know much about cameras. Heh- I was ready to babble on and on about µ4/3 with them too, I was kinda bummed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I use my old 35mm Zuiko f2.8 quite a bit. The 70mm EFL is one I like a lot at times and there is no fixed m4/3 equivalent. Even if there were, I find focusing manually slows me down and makes me think more about my shots. I'd venture that a lot of us use legacy glass not just because we don't have or can't afford native lenses with the same POV, but because we like the process of manually focusing when we shoot.

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I just attended a party and had no less than four people ask me about my G5 throughout the evening. "What kind of camera is that?!"

They were mostly enthusiasts and one was a former pro. None of them have even heard of Lumix. They were all Nikon and Canon shooters. I explain it's a micro four thirds camera followed by blank looks. It's a mirrorless, more blank looks. After explaining further, one asked why I would choose m4/3 if it has smaller sensor. I said my personal reason was it provided the best sweet spot of compact size and image quality. I love that I can take it everywhere with me. Then I asked where his D7000 was. Sitting at home. :tongue::rolleyes:

I posted the party photos up this morning on facebook and everyone was pretty impressed. Already got an offer to shoot a party. :rofl:

11. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I was taking a group portrait at a party last year with my E-P3 when one of the women in the group said, "Wow! It's so nice to see a photographer who still shoots with an old film camera." I thought she was being sarcastic until I realized she honestly thought the E-P3 was an old film camera.

I haven't heard anyone make a comment like that while I've been shooting with my silver OM-D E-M5, but it's probably only a matter of time since I think my E-M5 looks like the old 70's era 35mm film SLRs I used to shoot with.

Although I still have DSLR gear, I'd say 99 percent of what I shoot now is done with either my Pen and OM-D cameras or my Fujifilm X10.

12. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    Funny that the 35mm camera was considered a "compact" camera when Leica came out with it and compared to the FF cameras of the day it was considered a toy. The same can be said today with the 35mm format FF and our M4/3 a less than professional "toy"
    As more of us get out in public or show up in clubs showing people the strengths and merits of M4/3 big clunky FF cameras will go the way of the 4X5 press format.

13. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

based on the recent sigma sales ( and I think they match the focal length) about $ 90. It maybe twice the price (and twice as ugly) but it's auto-focus. It's not the only affordable option. The panny 14 prime goes from beteen 125 to 160, and the oly 17 goes for about 150. You don't have to buy the expensive ones.

I agree with the other comment though, no money in it for oly. The number of old-glass owners compared to the number of main-stream-hipsters... well apple is an example of what mainstream hipness can do for your revenues.

14. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    i've just ordered my first 4/3, an Olympus OM-D. Coincidently, I was out photographing birds and such this morning with my wife, using a Canon 5d MK2 and a 300mm f2.8. Ran into a guy shooting with a Sony NEX CL, and started to talk with him, and he told me he has the same heavy duty FF's and Medium format gear I have, but had been feeling very liberated going out with the Sony gear. I'm looking forward to getting my system and working with it a bit this week.

15. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    All i could find was a Sigma 30mm F2.8 for $199 new to $160 used, still 4 to 5 times the Minolta cost. Sometimes you can find a jewel at Goodwill,I got a tamron 70~210mm lens for $29 last year and used it an air show. There are a lot of old 35mm shooters out there that haven't been happy with big DSLRs and expensive lenses or little P&S cameras that will buy a Pen if they know about it. it looks like I effectively sold 2 this week! Oly should give me a commission.

16. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Haha I've heard something along that line twice already toward my silver E-M5. Once was from a guy looking to buy a DSLR (we were both at the same seminar) talking to a group of us holding our cameras. At first he thought I was shooting with a vintage 'something', but he changed his mind as soon as he saw the back side of the E-M5 (colorful tilt screen, EVF, all the buttons).

He was pretty floored with IBIS and the quality of the pictures (had my 12-35mm that day), but unfortunately it's over his budget...

17. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Similar stories. I was photographing an outdoor event months ago poolside. EP1 and EPM1 with primes and flashes. Many people with DSLRs were joking about the vintage looks of the pen. I would discuss their cameras and mine.

I would ask them how they are using pop up flashes in bright daylight when their shutter speeds are flashing in the viewfinder readout. Were they happy with the results? They did not understand the concept of sync speed and flash limitations. They had big cameras though.

One guy who I know had just purchased the new Sony RX100 and was bragging about it. He admitted that he was totally confused by the menu structure of the Sony. He had not even read the manual.

Ironically, a Pro at the same event was great to talk with and after 2 hours of lugging around FF gear I saw him using an iPhone to snap a few pics. I asked him why. He did not have to think and just framed the shot and pressed the button. Whatever works was the philosophy.

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Great story BUT....
    IMHO, Olympus wants you (the consumer) to purchase their new glass. Not any legacy glass & even moreso, legacy glass made by someone else other than Olympus....

• Like Like x 1
  19. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

The recent sales were both their primes for the price of 1, so 199 for 2 lenses.

Yes it's still more expensive, but given the fact that some one just spent about 500 on a body... you gotta consider your cash allocation when buying equipment,, what percent goes to lens, flash, tripod, bag, filters, batteries, flash cards, and body... if you just budget for the body and nothing else... you will find yourself slightly short.

20. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    I bought the 12~50 Oly from Cameta and I love it but it is nice to have a lot of flexibility for not a lot more.