1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

PSA: Beware of Focus Camera

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by ScottinPollock, Oct 9, 2018.

1. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    This might be of interest to you - New App Lets You 'Sue Anyone By Pressing a Button'

The tl;dr from the article is, "DoNotPay is a free app that is designed to help normal people fight big corporations in small claims court". It doesn't try to circumvent the system in any way, rather it educates people about the rights they already have and helps them navigate through all the red tape. I haven't used it so I can't really speak to whether it's helpful or not, but it might be worth a look depending on how much you lost. Good luck.

2. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

I was recently contacted by the manager of Focus Camera customer service regarding my posting of this experience on Yelp. She has apologized for my experience with their company and has issued me a refund of $150.00 ($70 more than their initial valuation).

She also remarked that there would be some "conversations" with upper-management of the Used Department so this kind of thing will not happen going forward.

I had planned to also send a certified letter to the CEO of Focus Camera recanting my first experience with their company. Would that have received the same result as the Yelp review? Possibly... I know I have achieved similar results in the past.

It's unfortunate that corporate America hasn't learned from Jeff Bezos about empowering the people in the trenches to look after the customer, and that this kind of escalation is all too often required.

In any event, I wanted you all to know that my escalation of this issue has resulted in Focus Camera doing more than what was right in the end.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Not to mention that they wait until they have your camera in hand before low balling you. I bet when people refuse the new lower offer the next step it to inform the customer that it is a fee to ship YOUR equipment back to you.

Note also that in the story they were very careful to only talk actual numbers over the phone. With no follow up emails or other evidence it makes it much harder to prove the verbal contract that was agreed upon.

Glad to hear it worked out well. I had an issue somewhat like this with Samsung over a trade in phone. After making my case for why they couldn't deny the original value of my trade in, I filed a complaint with the BBB. Magically within a week or so they about faced and refunded the disputed amount. I feel trade in are often a lot like mail in rebates, insurance claims, & recalls. Those companies initially deny everything and then make you work to get what you should have got to begin with and they do it hoping most people give up and accept it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

When I was a kid I worked in a number of retail entities selling stuff I was interested in (HiFi, Computers, Software). The larger the entity, the more you were evaluated on not only sales, but more importantly items per customer, and even more importantly lack of returns.

This kind of catch 22 where you're expected to sell the customer not only what they came in for, but to load them up with everything you can think of, but penalize you for anything they might return, is just wrong.

I am sure there are similar policies for used departments to maximize profits that have employees trying to pull this kind of crap. And unfortunately CSRs don't have the authorization to reverse these kinds of antics. So escalation to the top is the only answer.

Samsung tried to screw me over on a $3500 TV, and it took a certified letter to the CEO of Samsung America with threat of pursuing legal action under California's consumer protection statutes to get anywhere. And sure enough... a week later they were scheduling to have a new TV delivered.

5. Apollo T.

Apollo T. Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2016
    Northern New Jersey
    Seems like other folks have had a problem, too.
    Best thing you con do, for all of us, is to file a complaint.

Contact NYS bureau of consiumer affairs. I beleive NYC has one also.
    BTW, need a lawyer’s opinion on this, wouldn’t this qualify as wire fraud? Postal fraud?
    Post your experience on as many sites as possible- with the links below.
    Be very public about your complaint.

Ripoff Report | Focus Camera Inc. Complaint Review BrooklynInternet, New York

Focus Camera is rated "Great" with 7.1 / 10 on Trustpilot

Focus Camera, LLC | Better Business Bureau® Profile

Please post follow-up.
    GL

6. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 16, 2017
    Focus and the other co.s above sound like "Two Uncle Problems"

When you have a problem like this you need at least one, and maybe two uncles....

Uncle #1 is a lawyer

Uncle #2 is "connected"

... for Int'l readers that means connected to the Mafia

7. pigiron

pigiron Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Oregon
    It was you who accepted their lower price when you didn't have to. Your whining about it is getting old.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  8. PakkyT

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    To be fair he accepted the lower price after being told that the camera's resale value was now much lower. But then later saw his camera being sold used on their site for the ORIGINAL resale price he was quoted. So yes, he accepted the offer only to find out it was based on an outright lie to get him to take the lower price. I imagine if he saw the camera being sold at a lower resale price backing up what he was told, he wouldn't have been pissed off. It would appear we was swindled.

So take your victim blaming somewhere else if this thread bothers you. You don't have to follow what is going on since this is a stand along thread (you don't need to come back to keep up with other discussions in it).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Nothing else after this should matter. This is not a case of beware of Focus Camera - but a case of knowing what is being negotiated, what is acceptable, and what the terms are. If $375 was not acceptable, you should never had accepted it.

I think you're lucky that Focus Camera is concerned enough about their reputation that they saw a post, responded, and provided more value than their initial estimate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. PakkyT

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Sure, if Focus camera was negotiating in good faith you might have a point. But they weren't. So yes it is exactly a case of beware of Focus Camera.

You mean once Focus Camera double crossed someone who how to raise a public stink and wasn't going to just let it go like past victims about their practices, they were concerned that everyone else would be on to them as well and they would be out of the fleecing business?

• Sad Sad x 1
  11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If he was not knowledgeable about what the camera might sell for, well... I think trust but verify works here.
    He was neither fleeced nor double crossed - he received what he agreed to.

It's called the art of negotiation - and even then the OP poster didn't seem to bothered until what he saw he believed be his former camera for sale at a higher price than he apparently thought. A simple check of eBay shows the camera going for $500-$720, all he had to do was negotiate for more or have them return the camera.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tool Crazy

Tool Crazy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2018
    In all fairness, the original "quote" is not a quote at all, it is an ESTIMATE. In fact, it's a range based on the description of the product that you provide.

The actual quote is after they receive the camera, inspect and evaluate. That is the first quote.

Anyone that has ever received quotes from them could verify this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Tool Crazy

Tool Crazy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2018
    This is from my emails with focus camera regarding the same camera, also a g85 or in my case a g80:

"Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to selling your used equipment.

The value of your equipment is in the range of up to $650 pending the condition and accessories included.

We usually pay up to 70% of the value. If its pristine condition we pay more."

As you can see, the initial number is not an actual quote. Noticed the words, "up to" and "pending" the condition.

The words "up to" does not imply that is what you are guaranteed to receive. You also have to take into consideration the 70% of whatever they value the camera at.

• Winner Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.