Provincetown, Ma. A very (very) long pictorial

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Alanroseman, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Originally settled by the Nauset tribe, who had a settlement known as Meeshawn, Provincetown was incorporated by English settlers in 1727 after harboring ships for more than a century. Bartholomew Gosnold named Cape Cod in Provincetown Harbor in 1602. In 1620, the Pilgrims signed the Mayflower Compact when they arrived at the harbor. They agreed to settle and build a self-governing community, and then came ashore in the West End. Though the Pilgrims chose to settle across the bay in Plymouth, Provincetown enjoyed an early reputation for its fishing grounds. The "Province Lands" were first formally recognized by the union of Plymouth colony and Massachusetts Bay colony in 1692, and its first municipal government was established in 1714. The population of Provincetown remained small through most of the 18th century.

Following the American Revolution, however, Provincetown grew rapidly as a fishing and whaling center. The population was bolstered by a number of Portuguese sailors, many of whom were from the Azores, and came to live in Provincetown after being hired to work on US ships. By the 1890s, Provincetown was booming, and began to develop a resident population of writers and artists, as well as a summer tourist industry. After the 1898 Portland Gale severely damaged the town's fishing industry, members of the town's art community took over many of the abandoned buildings. By the early decades of the 20th century, the town had acquired an international reputation for its artistic and literary output.

GF1 / 20mm / Aperture 3 / NIK software

No better way to begin a tour, than with a tour bus

A_Tour_Bus.

Details, details, details

B_Tour_Bus_close.

P-Town is a colorful experience in every way. Puzzle me This Store.

C_Purple_Cow.

Being a destination for alternative lifestyles offer some very creative theater.

D_Naked_Boys.

Details and color are everywhere

E_Lamps.

Quaint, colorful and fun...

F_Hocus_Pocus.

Ocean front dining at the docks. On the right, a bouquet of lobster pot bouys.

H_Dining.

Fishing continues to be a mainstay in P-Town. The Donna Marie.

I_Donna_Marie.

Michelle shoots faces on the dock house. (She loves the little DMC-ZS3 we bought from Kevin)

J_Shooting_the_Face_Dock.

As New England as it gets. Summer makes the winter worth living through.

K_Dock.

Locals amuse the tourists by jumping from the piers

Local_Jumpers.

Famous eatery, famous entrée

L_Lobster_Pot.

Shop Therapy, the outlandish is their hallmark

M_Shop_Therapy.

The Local Scenery is Quite Excellent...

N_Blonde.

A New England Passion, Ice Cream & Gelato

O_Purple_Feather.

Gelato, a true field of dreams.

P_Gellato.

Colorful Characters abound, it's a street shooters paradise!

Q_Parrot_Man.

When the statue moves, everyone jumps

R_Statue.

Sand flags, a tourists delight

S_Sand_Flags.

• Like Like x 12
  2. There's that colour you were alluding to. Great series. Looks like a fun place.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Alan,

Been there many times myself, so I recognized all of those places. PUzzle-Me-This is one of my all-time favorite stores. Great shots!

OTOH, colors seemed very off to me . . . too blue or purple in many cases. If that was an effect were you trying to produce, I apologize.

• Like Like x 1
  4. danxk

danxk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 4, 2010
    Spain
    Nice set, Alan.
    It brings back very fond memories of the summers I spent in New Hampshire in my youth, and my university days in Boston - with many escapes to the Cape, mostly in winter time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Mellow,

Sunday was white hot. Nearly 95f, even out on the Cape. Most of the images were made at mid day, the absolute worst possible time.

I finished most of this set in PP with additional saturation, until it was pleasing to me, providing the warm deep colors of summer which often aren't present in the mid day sun..

Do you mind if I ask what monitor you're viewing with? and the color temperature you're set at?

Alan

6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Alan,

I'm using a calibrated ASUS monitor.

To each his own on the colors. I too often add saturation in PP, but my biggest issue isn't the saturation, but the color cast, which is rather blue to my eyes. Still, others (you!) may like it and that's all that matters.

I wonder if some of them would even look good in black and white--especially to those of us who remember the old Cape from back when we were kids (me!)

Here's a quick & dirty color 'correction'; it's not by any means satisfactory, but it's close to what 'reality' might look like to me:

K_Dock-corr-1.

ADDED LATER: Also looks more like that 95 degree summer day!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks for sharing Alan. Was there last Spring. Great place and wish I could have spent more time enjoying it. The rain was a downer too.

I ate the best lobster roll there at this Portuguese place. It was a curry lobster roll. I generally don't like curry, but it worked REALLY well with the lobster.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nice series

A great series, but I also thought the color was a bit shifted towards pink / purple. Story, well told. Thanks for sharing

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    OK, I had a look and I'm sorry but I have to mention : everything's got a funny shine to it and I don't like it.

Now I'll go and read the other comments ...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Mellow,

Curious on the monitor and color schema.. I have several here, just moved a few images over to the second position and I agree to the blue cast..

The saturation however was intentional for this set..

I did several others in other threads, some B&W, some standard PP in color. May be more appealing to your eye..

I'm not always feeling so blue....

https://www.mu-43.com/f56/flats-brewster-ma-cape-cod-long-photo-set-14294/

https://www.mu-43.com/f57/real-street-thread-2798/index46.html#post128633

Cheers, Alan

11. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Alan,
    Thanks, I'd seen those and loved them! No cast whatsoever on my monitor, so I think it was your PP on the set you posted in this thread.

"Sand Waves" was my favorite . . . what a great capture.

-Tom

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Mellow,

Thanks, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again...

I think my PP on the P-Town set might have been a little over aggressive / exaggerated. And I'm certainly hearing about it..:smile:

Thanks for taking the time..

Alan

13. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Here's the shot with NO post processing. Right from the Camera RAW, into Aperture, and exported for this post.

Dock_No_PP.

14. simonz

simonz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    New England
    Photo Realists vs Impressionists

Who says that photography has to be realistic? I grew up in an art colony on the New England coast and the artists then exaggerated the colors for expressive purposes. Often times they had a purple bias. I do prefer the impressionistic colors in the PP photos to the realistic ones.

15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Alan,

That's so interesting--to my eyes, the OOC Jpgs are very purple--too much so. I much prefer the 'adjusted' version. (By the way, the only adjustment I made was to white balance; I used the eye-dropper tool in Lightroom on one of the boats).

A couple of thoughts:

(a) Did you adjust any of the color settings ('vivid') in your camera? I know my camera can produce all sorts of weird colors, for example if I let my daughter play with the settings.

(b) I shoot with both an Oly E-PL1 and Panasonic G-1, and I've noticed a difference in the OOC colors from each. I prefer the Oly colors, whatever they are, because sometimes the G1 produces exactly what you got, albeit not as extreme--colder, perhaps some would say more 'realistic' colors.

(c) Did you shoot just jpg or RAW too? If so, I'd be interested to see what the RAW file looks like; you can open it using Faststone Image Viewer (a fabulous freeware program) if you don't use Lightroom or Aperture or another PP program.

16. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Mellow,

I shoot RAW, just RAW, to the best of my knowledge the settings for dynamic etc. don't mean a thing to the RAW capture. Those settings relate to the cameras JPEG engine and its processing of the RAW file.

As you see it was just that kind of day. An Azure colored sky, high sun. I did saturate in post, heavily, especially on that particular image. But the image did begin its journey through post with the blue of the sky and water being predominant.

While I enjoy your take on the image, IMHO it leans much more toward Fall colors in New England. Those warm tones are created by the delineation of the sun as Fall turns to winter. It would also be achieved in the very late afternoon hours as evidenced by the Brewster Flat set, shot the same day... in the late afternoon.

I'll say this, nothing goes unnoticed here at MU-43, get creative in post, and lookout! it's awesome really :smile:

I'm glad folks took the time to comment.

Cheers, Alan

17. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Ulfric,

That funny shine is a little smear applied in post...

looks like it wasn't very popular..:smile:

Ah the creative process....

18. The RAWs won't be affected by any in-camera jpeg engine settings, but they will be influenced by whatever the white balance setting the camera chose (assuming they were shot with AWB and left as is). I actually thought the purplishness may have been part of the creative process along with the smear :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Smear.

"Smear" sounds nasty.

"Shine" is positively complimentary compared to smear. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010