1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Providing supporting information

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, May 29, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I notice in a lot of post where photos are attached, that often there is no information regarding what camera, lens and other accessories (if appropriate) and techniques were used to get the photo. Personally, I'm always interested in how a photo was taken, especially if it's very good, as that informs me of potential new and innovative techniques, capability of cameras and lenses etc and adds to my knowledge base. It's a habit that I try to maintain whenever I post a photo, but refrain from asking each time I see a photo with no information, for if it's not part of the photo, then it's likely to get lost. What are other people's thoughts? Should we encourage posting how the shots were taken when photos are posted?

• Like Like x 5
  2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    I will try to remember to note what camera/lens was used whenever I post another photo. It is easy most of the time with digital cameras with the EXIF data. I do have a few images taken with adapted lenses that I did not record which lens was used.

Mike

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I notice a lot of the images posted here have no EXIF data (I have a browser plugin to show EXIF); maybe those are mostly linked to Flickr, Picasa, etc.

But yes, I would like to see more info posted.

Barry

4. gprana

gprana Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    IMHO you should just ask :smile: The person uploading the photo might simply feel that it's unnecessary to include such information in the post. Even if some details are really not recorded, the photographer might still remember something about location, approximate time, and some of the settings / accessories (e.g. filter) used.

5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Saving for web in Photoshop strips the EXIF, and I sure there are other packages that do the same.
    There's a good chance the poster doesn't realize the EXIF is missing.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The problem is, I would be asking very frequently, that's why I'm asking it here, so as to cover as much ground as possible in one hit. By giving some information, even as little as camera/lens combination would help people better appreciate what certain gear can achieve. If a photograph is memorable enough to post on the forum, I suspect that the shooting parameters etc should be reasonably easy to remember. I certainly try to remember/document what I've shot, for if something is very successful, I would like to be able to repeat it in the future.

But I'm not trying to enforce anything, just suggesting that a lot of people would find it interesting and informative. If you're not interested in providing additional information, that's a personal choice.

7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Someone mentioned this a year or two ago, which is a nice idea. and I love to see the info too, I just often forgot to include them, will try to do so. Thanks Ray.

8. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    This is why I recently started to use belt and suspender, so to say. I use Better Rename -application in MacOSX to rename files and include EXIF data to filename itself. Reduce risk to accidentally loose valuable info of the EXIF data.

9. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I dont always include my exif data, but I recently have made an effort to do so. I think it is a great idea for us to share not only our images but our technique as well. Seems like most of us just got used to sharing images. I will definitely make an effort to share exif data when sharing images if appropriate. Thanks for bringing this up OzRay.

10. Lodos

Lodos Mu-43 Regular

Ray, this is a great idea,

as a newbie, for countless times I have wondered about the lens and other settings in pictures posted in this group or flickr. Especially in manual glass, focal length, lens and aperture info usually not recorded in exif file either.. (I wish there was a way to manually enter it in the camera). In my pentax K-x when I was entering lens focal length for IBIS (as done in olympus) it was recording in lens focal length in the exif mm section.. I wish my pm2 could do the same..

anyway, thanks for bringing this up, I hope with your encouragement, it will be more practiced..

11. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Is there not a way to read that information into the forum automagically? I've seen forums where photos posted automatically appended a 5 or so line description from any available EXIF info stored in the jpeg.

There's also a plug-in out there for some browsers, when you hover over an image on a webpage, it will pop-up the exif info - but I haven't seen that one in ages - it was for Firefox.

12. jamesgehrt

jamesgehrt Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2014
    Easthampton, Massachusetts
    James Gehrt
    I have been pulling my images from my flickr stream. When I click on the image I go to download / view all sizes, I copy the url. After posting that, I just copy the basic EXIF info from the flickr layout and paste it under the photo url in the reply box. It is very quick and convenient. I too enjoy seeing the information.

13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    This one works, but you have to right-click on an image, and then choose FXIF (no hover):
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fxif/

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  14. karma

karma Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Peter
    As a novice photographer, I would love to see more info posted with photos. It really helps me learn what lenses/bodies are capable of doing.

15. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I like the idea. Learning from others is the reason I joined this forum in the first place. At a minimum, the camera / lens combination used could be provided with very little effort. This topic came up a year or two ago, and some argued that they shouldn't have to add that information, because it's in the EXIF if someone wants it. That's not really the point. The point is to learn and help others learn. As someone just mentioned, adapted lenses don't appear in EXIF info. When I'm in the market for a new lens, being able to see what a lens can do and how it renders is very important to me. I realize it would take more effort to include details about a technique used, extra equipment or special processing, but I think it would interest many. I do regularly include camera / lens info, but I'll try to be better about including any other details that I think might be helpful.

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I think it's very useful in cases where you're troubleshooting, or trying to demonstrate a particular technique. But for many (most?) of the images that get posted, is that data really all that illuminating? For your typical landscape or portrait at web resolution, the only shooting parameter that makes a visible impact is the focal length and maybe the aperture, and even there, there's not that much variety.

17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I think the main additions would camera, lens and focal length if using a zoom. That gives people an idea of what they can expect from a particular camera/lens combination. Additional information can be handy such as whether the unit was hand held or on a tripod/monopod and if any other accessory was used. I don't really see a need for shutter speed, ISO, aperture etc, unless it's germane to what you're demonstrating. For example, when I posted an image taken with the 90-250mm indoors and hand held, the information was relevant to the photo.