Proud owner of both.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Mike Wingate, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    image.jpg image.jpg I have been shooting with my GX80 for 13 months. Very pleased with it and the lenses I have bought. Recently bought an FZ82 for my daughter, then bought one for myself. Bad weather, so an indoor shoot and test today between the 2 cameras. The GX80 has the Olympus 60mm macro. Tripod shot, same lighting and in camera photostacking. No pp. One set up cost 3 times as much.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Thanks for the comparison. It's amazing what they get out of that small sensor.
    I have been considering something like the FZ80 primarily in place of buying a long mu43 lens. I know that there will be a loss of quality but I just don't shoot enough on the long end to justify a really good long lens. I have the PL 35-100 that fills the need for most telephoto work. It might be nice to have a FZ80 though for the really long shots.
    Let us know how your FZ82 integrates into your shooting and how often you pick it up in place of MU43.

3. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    Thanks. The 82 is really easy to use. It does miss out on some features, but...it will be my walking camera and possibly foreign holiday camera. Fed up emptying my bag of camera body, batteries and lenses each time I go through customs. 5 internal flights in China was a pain. I have taken some moon shots that are amazing. 2400mm on Ai, almost frame filling. So the extremities of the lens are great when on a tripod.

4. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    CBE601E4-C981-48DC-94BE-D35334108B9A.jpeg
    Moon, on tripod at 2400mm

• Wow Wow x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    Cheaper than the new PL200. Lighter than my P100-300. The resolution will not be as good, but how good does it need to be. Then there is the price per picture consideration. So far so good.

6. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    Moon at 7:45 this cold and frosty day. F5.5. Speed 1/125 sec. -2/3 exp comp. ISO100. 2400mm. On tripod. Portrait mode. image.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    The main problem with the small sensors is often the people who buy them, when in the hands of a knowledgeable photographer like you the results can be very good.I am a fan of the superzooms and was very tempted with the 82 at the price currys had but regret selling my P900 so waiting to see if Nikon ever launch a updated one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    The double cashback plus extra battery and free case seemed a good buy at Jessops, then came an extra £20 off. It is not a bad camera. I realise that the GX80 is a better equiped camera. But this FZ82 is growing on me. It has its uses.

9. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    I think it also depends on what you do with your images, mine are all for online forum and Flickr postings.

10. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I have not printed anything from either camera. Some shots have been shown on a digital projector(changing colour intensity) as DPI's for photo competitions at local clubs. Mainly viewed on a 21" Dell monitor, iPads and iPhones, forums and Flickr as you mentioned. I must get some printed.

11. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    image.jpg Medium distance shots seem fine.

• Like Like x 2
  12. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    I guess this is a stupid question since no one else asked, but which image was taken with which camera? (there's no exif on either one). Seems hard to compare without knowing this.

13. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    The larger shot is taken with the FZ82. Not much difference when viewed on a large monitor. Not many artifacts in either shots when using in camera photostacking in this instance.

14. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I have just been researching And watching videos of the DMW-LT55 telephoto attachment in use on the FZ82. 100X zoom, if you can hold it steady. Use a tripod mount on the tube to attatch to a tripod.

15. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Now I know you're playing with my head! At least in my browser, both are the same size. When I click on each one, each expands to be the same size (it seems to be a function of the width of the browser window, I guess). OK, is the top one the FZ82 or the bottom one? (Next thing I know, they'll switch positions too! ;) )

16. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    The top photo is the FZ82.
    The photo in which the orchid is larger is the FZ82.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Look at the 2 lower corners. Left side looks good, right side? Not so much.

18. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I shall go back tomorrow and shoot it again, maybe taking both my cameras and a few lense. I did want a shot lower to the ground to emphasise the height of the trees and the small relative size of the snowdrops. Nothing is perfect.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.