Proud of Girlfriend! Nikon lenses tested

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shnitz, Sep 10, 2011.

1. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I took my G2 out on a shoot last month, but I didn't touch the camera. The original reason that I got into m4/3 is because I wanted a smaller supplementary camera body than the Nikon D80, but I wanted something relatively serious so that I could teach family and friends how to use an SLR. We walked along Ladybird Lake in Austin so that my girlfriend could practice using MF lenses. I'm pretty proud of the shots she got. Feel free to critique the photos if you'd like, but I already told her my thoughts on them (mainly the pink flowers and the swan are mis-focused).

The lenses that went out with us were all non-Ai (rabbit ears) versions:
    Nikkor-N 24mm f/2.8
    Nikkor PC 55mm Micro
    Nikkor-Q 135mm f/3.5

First, a shot of the 55mm on the camera. Pretty solid setup, I think. The body is a nice size, so it stays out of her way, and is comfortable to use. The automatic viewfinder is nice.:
    24mm_Safari-1.

This photo is uncropped, unedited, etc. Default settings RAW file, just converted to jped through lightroom. Taken with the 55mm, I think:
    24mm_Safari-2.

Taken with the 55mm. Focus is back a little to far, I think there's some softness on the very front flowers, but she's learning! She's previously shot with my Olympus OM-1, so she knows the basics of composing.
    24mm_Safari-3.

She really like the cactuses. New shooters always love the macro :smile: There wasn't a ton to REALLY go out and shoot, one day we'll need to hit up the botanic gardens or the zoo, when it gets cool enough that the animals will actually be active.

Unedited
    24mm_Safari-4.

Lightly developed in LR:
    24mm_Safari-5.
    24mm_Safari-6.
    24mm_Safari-7.

Taken with the 135mm. This is a pretty long focal length, I told her to do her best and make sure that the shutter speed stayed high. I think she's focused a tiny bit too far forward:
    24mm_Safari-9.

Taken with the 24mm, and edited for contrast. If you'll notice, the city of Austin has a spelling error on their park sign!
    24mm_Safari-8.

I'll be taking the G2 with these lenses to shoot the ACL music festival, plus a recently acquired 14-42, and I may pick up a 20mm f/1.7 and an extra battery. I can't wait to see what this camera can really do! Overall, I'm very happy with it. I did some slight peeping, and I believe that I could print at max size on my Epson R1800 and be happy with the photos.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    hey im just up in round rock! was just down there the other day!
    nice shots.. the swan woulda been real nice in focus
    she could do some crazy heavy pp and make it overly arty still tho :)

3. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Very nice photos! I appreciate the fact that they are un-edited as i dont edit my photos either. I also agree with Bokeaji, the swan looks stunning in the level and angle it was shot at but it would be nice if it was a little more in focus unless that was the look you were going for, unfortunatly i cannot critque focus as my glass is as sharp as Ben Franklin's bifocals

4. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Very nice- I just got a Nikon 50mm 1.8 AIS and I have Nikon 28mm 2.8 on it's way.

Nice lenses from decades ago.. but plenty sharp.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I like the first one best ;)

6. Jorge Ledesma

Jorge Ledesma Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2011
    Miami
    Excellent images. I'm in the boat as you, well a bit different because I decided to sell my D80 and move into the :43: world because I believe it suits my style better.

Lovely colors from the nikkors, very nice. :smile:

7. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    Very nice photos! It's always nice to bring other people into your hobbies.

I didn't see any typo on the sign. What they meant was that they don't issue permits to unauthorized vehicles. Surely that makes sense? :p

Acercanto

• Like Like x 1
  8. Check the last word on the sign

• Like Like x 1
  9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    There are SO many spell checkers at your disposal. Type each word independently into Google. Type the phrase, as written, into a Microsoft Word document. Heck, type it into a reply box on this site! :rofl: