Proud new owner GX1 (jpeg question)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bridgemix, Jan 27, 2012.

1. bridgemix

bridgemix Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    Sweden
    Hey all,

I´m a brand new m4/3 user (sold my "big" DLSR).
    I´m now a proud owner of a GX1 with 14-42 X and a 25mm f/1.4.

Ivé seen threads where people share the jpeg settings for G3, GF3 etc. My question is, are these also appliable for the GX1?

If not, what are your favorite jpeg settings on the GX1

Cheers :drinks:

Edit: other setting that may be good to know/have are very welcome

2. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    Why not shoot RAW and make your own settings in LR/CS5/etc? :D

3. bridgemix

bridgemix Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    Sweden
    Oh, by the way...
    I don´t want to shoot raw, unless it´s "once in a lifetime" pictures.

But, a little off topic.. is there any cheap or free raw converters that handle RAW from GX1?

4. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    IMO; Even snapshots look better with correct exposure & WB and I love how easily you can correct WB & exposure with RAW.

You could try UFRaw

5. bridgemix

bridgemix Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 9, 2012
    Sweden
    What tool do you use, LR?

I maybe have to give it another try then

6. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    I have never gotten the hang of LR... I use Adobe Camera Raw w/CS5 -- I normally click on a neutral area of the photo with the WB dropper then manually adjust the sliders until the color looks natural. This is especially useful when shooting indoors with multiple light sources because the camera often picks an incorrect AWB and the WB dropper in PP is much faster than creating a custom WB in camera.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think the GX1 and G3 are very similar in jpeg output, so recommendations for the G3 would probably be a good starting point for the GX1. Take lots of test shots and tweak to your taste.

As far as the image editing controls go, LR and ACR are almost identical. The major difference is the way LR catalogs your images, which some people like and some don't. Note that while LR forces you to import your images so it can manage them, it doesn't force you to really use that catalog nor to organize them in any particular way. You can put your images into whatever folder structure you're happy with today.

I find LR to be a great tool. It's very easy to use, and very effective, once you learn how it works. But it's not terribly intuitive. If you want to make effective use out of it, spend some time with the many online video tutorials or get a good book. The open beta of LR4 is out now, and there are no books for it yet, so online vids are the only option for that one.

As far as free, doesn't the GX1 come with Silkypix? SP does a very good job with raw conversions, but it's even less intuitive than LR. There are a few decent tutorials that have been posted and linked on DPR. I'll see if I can find them and, if so, post them here.

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The G3 and GX1 share the same sensor. But I read somewhere that the JPG engine was improved on the GX1. So using the same settings may result in different outputs.

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Or you could not half-@$$ the exposure process and get it right in camera and save yourself the PP trouble ... Just a thought.

10. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    So... You were just in the kitchen trying to photogaph your kids first steps, exposure & WB set for the 1/125@2.8 florescents in the kitchen, when she crawls to the 1/60@2.8 tungstun-lit living room and pulls up on the couch to walk across the living room.

I got the shot and fixed the WB/exposure in PP; you missed it because you were too busy f'ing with a new custom white balance and asjusting your exposure to get it right in camera.

Not every shot will last long enough for you to get it exactly right in-camera... :thumbup:

Just a thought....

Keep in mind... the "snapshots" I mentioned are often those that don't tend to stay put while you adjust for changing lighting conditions.

No one gets every shot right, every time... RAW is perfect for those times when exposure or WB is little off...

• Like Like x 3
  11. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    While there are apparently differences in processing, based on the images I've seen they're more similar than either are to prior Panasonic cameras. And I did say "adjust to taste." Anyone else's settings should just be a starting point.

12. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Agreed. One option for those who prefer jpeg is to shoot raw+jpeg. You can always delete the raws if you don't need them, but if you do screw up WB or exposure you've got the raw there to help recover.

And yes, you can adjust WB and exposure in a jpeg, but not over as wide a range, and since jpegs are only 8 bit files artifacts start to show up a lot sooner when you do post process. If nothing else, raw files are a very good safety net.

• Like Like x 3
  13. bigrig

bigrig Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2012
    I second (or third?) raw. It is nice to choose your WB, noise reduction, saturation, tweak exposure, etc. It's actually kind of fun, getting "hands on" with the process! I use lightroom, it goes pretty fast once you get used to it.

And hard drives just keep getting cheaper!

Matt

• Like Like x 2
  14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    True, but then i dont place any priority on being sure i caugh the absolute first step. IMHO, the photograph exists to help me preserve the memory itself, not BE the memory.

In the situation you describe, first, AWB would probably get it right, or at least close enough, and even if you didnt trust it, it's not that hard or time consuming to hit the WB button, over arrow a couple and set. Your daughter ain't that fast.

The use of RAW as an excuse for poor photography skills is becoming far too commonplace, and needs to end.

15. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    So... you shoot JPEG only and always nail every shot in camera? Must be nice.... I guess you don't even have to worry with RAW converters or ACR profiles, right?

https://www.mu-43.com/f43/gf1-acr-profile-9045/

RAW isn't an excuse for bad photography... It does however, allow much more flexibility.

Post-processing has been around a very long time even predating digital... Post processing is not an excuse for poor photography skills either... If you think so, you're probably doing it wrong or looking at too many other badly over-processed pictures.

16. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. How sad.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Blue Esprit

Blue Esprit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2012
    London, England
    The use of RAW as an excuse for poor photography skills is becoming far too commonplace, and needs to end.

Interesting thought:smile:

If jpegs off the camera are working for you it does save a lot of time. But of the many Pro photographers I know everyone shoots raw. But then again they probably have the time and software to produce exactly what they want from the original images.

Howard

18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    One thing are Pro photographers and another amateur.

The Pro have to adjust their pics to meet the tastes of the committments and often the result is absolutely not real, amateurs, I guess, need to have photos that are same as what they see most of the times. I'm thinking about photos of a trip where one, or at least I, want to remember things like I saw them and not do artistry photos.
    But again I suppose thats subjective

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

20. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Funny how this thread started off as a question about jpeg settings and now it's turned into a dinosaur. Try and keep it on track.

• Like Like x 2