Protective filter for 20mm pancake

jhob

Mu-43 Veteran
I am looking for a 46mm filter to pop on my 20mm pancake. On my other lenses I have always used kenko (identical to hoya, just cheaper!) PRO 1D digital multi-coated filters but it seems that the smallest filter size that these come in is 49mm.

I do like the extra-thin filters and found this on ebay, but I have never heard of JYC and am unsure of the quality. Looks like a hoya/kenko rip-off to me. Has anyone used them?

Do the rest of you use a protective filter on your lenses? If so what do you go for and what would you recommend?

scon4061

Mu-43 Rookie
I have a HOYA HMC SKYLIGHT (1B). It was only £16.00 from a local supplier. B&W make a 46mm filter as well but that was double the price.

C

ccmsosse

Tiffen 46 UV for protection - all my lenses except for the Lumix 7-14 (none would fit) have filters for protection

flyby

Mu-43 Regular
Hi I just purchased the 20mm lens and ordered a 46mm filter to protect lens from here
[URL="http://www.filterhouse.com They have a good selection of Hoya and other filters at very reasonable prices. They were out of one of the filters I ordered and after asking sent me a $30 more lens..much better than original order for same price. Fast ship too.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I am a believer in protecting the front lens element with a good quality filter. Cheap insurance.

Technically, I'm sure it's possible that IQ may be degraded by using a filter, but after doing a few with- and without- side-by-side tests, I haven't been able to see any difference in IQ, so I'm quite comfortable protecting my front lens elements with a high quality filter.

On my 20mm f/1.7, like Bullfrog, I use a Nikon L37, which I happened to have left over from my "pre-Canon" days thirty years ago. (yikes!) If I didn't have that already, I'd pick up a Hoya HMC UV-O and call it good. I have Hoyas on all of my Canon and Mamiya RZ67 lenses.

jhob

Mu-43 Veteran
I ended up ordering a kenko filter, couldn't find any of the thin ones that I use for the rest of kit.

I'd much rather have a filter as first point of contact in case of any bumps than an expensive front element on a lens!

I've only ever had problems with one filter that put a herring bone pattern across the image, not sure what make that was but it was a film filter on my first DSLR, a nikon D70 for a lens that I no longer own. As a result of that experience I always buy digital filters for digital cameras. There may well be no advantage there but it gives me peace of mind!

jhob

Mu-43 Veteran
Having tested the kenko filter out today I'm not impressed - it flares horribly when photographing contre-jour. I will be removing for now and using the lens naked until I find something better.

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Honestly folks, after years of testing filters extensively I can ONLY recommend you consider either the Hoya HMC or better (multi coated) or the B+W and Heliopan (German Schott glass quality) multicoated (MRC) models, otherwise pass. They WILL degrade the IQ somewhat unless you go this route. With circular polarizers they are already coated so no worries. Avoid Tiffen like the plague, they suck big time and are NOT multicoated to avoid flare.

Warren T.

Mu-43 Veteran
i just ordered a Vivitar labeled multi-coated 46mm from Ebay for $12.99 shipped. Do a search for "VIVITAR 46mm UV Multi-Coated" if you're interested in seeing it there. We'll see how it works out, since my 20mm is still in the mail somewhere.

--Warren

Razer

Mu-43 Regular
I don't bother with UV filters never have, mainly due Digital Camera's don't need them.

Best lens protection is a lens hood. :)

squeegee

Mu-43 Veteran
... kenko (identical to hoya, just cheaper!) PRO 1D digital multi-coated filters ...

just wondering, what's the basis for kenko and hoya being the same?

are they coming out of the same factory or did one of the companies buy the other or something?

To my knowledge.. pentax currently owns hoya right?

squeegee

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't bother with UV filters never have, mainly due Digital Camera's don't need them.

Best lens protection is a lens hood. :)

well it's not entirely for the UV, it's for the protection, it's that UV is often as close as you can get to a clear filter (I managed to get a hoya hmc clear filter for my 17mm though).

As for lens hoods... it depends on how / what you're protecting from. A hood can sometimes make things much worst. it can channeling and deflecting MORE stuff at at lens and not less. Let me describe and example... put a camera mount on the hood of your car, now drive around on the highway at 100km/h....

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use the purpose made high quality Panasonic filters, MC and ND4, and also the Hoya 46MM PL and others. I have a little folding satchel that I slip into a pocket containing filters JUST for this lens.

Bokeh D

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I have found that the 20mm lens is more prone to flare than it should be.

Add any filter and it is worse. I have a great (and expensive) B+W filter for my 20mm lens but never use it now.

Now I usually have either a lens hood or Cokin filter holder fitted to my lens which provides adequate protection for the lens. If not, I just take more care.

Latest threads

Top Bottom