Protection filter - redux

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Jfrader, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

My friend is a staff photographer on a medium large city newspaper. He just finished taking some great photos of a metal-worker/artist for a feature story, including an amazing shot of a shower of sparks coming from a grinding wheel being used to finish a piece. This is the UV filter that was on his rather pricey 20mm f/1.8 during the shoot.

UV_filter.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    <sarcasm> The quality of the shots was probably lower because of the filter ruining the lenses performance </sarcasm>

Some of the damage looks almost like the filter has melted, or is it oil/rust? Either way it's done an admirable job.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. weeman

weeman Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2013
    Looks like the filter is burnt by the red hot metal (sparks) hitting the surface, this saved the lens!

4. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I can't post the actual image he got as it is copyright by the newspaper. Take my word that it is quite spectacular, right inside the spark shower. I did find this cell phone photo which was shot from a safe distance by the accompanying reporter and shows John at work, getting the actual image. I misstated the action in my OP. It wasn't a grinder, it was a plasma cutter.

The reporter thinks all us photographers are nuts. :dance3:

photo-500x333.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.