Protection filter - redux

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Jfrader, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

My friend is a staff photographer on a medium large city newspaper. He just finished taking some great photos of a metal-worker/artist for a feature story, including an amazing shot of a shower of sparks coming from a grinding wheel being used to finish a piece. This is the UV filter that was on his rather pricey 20mm f/1.8 during the shoot.

• Like Like x 2
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    <sarcasm> The quality of the shots was probably lower because of the filter ruining the lenses performance </sarcasm>

Some of the damage looks almost like the filter has melted, or is it oil/rust? Either way it's done an admirable job.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. weeman

weeman Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2013
    Looks like the filter is burnt by the red hot metal (sparks) hitting the surface, this saved the lens!
  4. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I can't post the actual image he got as it is copyright by the newspaper. Take my word that it is quite spectacular, right inside the spark shower. I did find this cell phone photo which was shot from a safe distance by the accompanying reporter and shows John at work, getting the actual image. I misstated the action in my OP. It wasn't a grinder, it was a plasma cutter.

The reporter thinks all us photographers are nuts. :dance3:

• Like Like x 2