1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Protecting the camera

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by playak47, Nov 16, 2010.

1. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    How does everyone protect their camera during use? Do u have leather covers? I have lowepro bag that I have been using while traveling. But my two month old E-Pl1 is starting to get scratches. It has to be during use but I am not really that rough with it. :confused:

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Look at scratches as a badge of honor - they mean you are using your camera :thumbup:

I am usually more worried about the glass than the body - filters and lens caps are high on my list. As for the body a good half-case can add some handling protection - they are popular with some photographers and I have a few I have used over the years. They have protected my cameras from accidental bags and knocks on many occasions.

Screen protectors are becoming popular - I have one. And a nice scratch on the LCD on the second body that does not have one.

3. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Well I would like badge of honor to last me long time. I thought about the half case or the bag option and I ended up with the bag. I guess a lot of you have both?

Does the screen protector affect the shot taking ability if I only take shots using the screen? The screen protector on my cellphone makes the screen a little blurry. I figured screen protector on my camera might make it harder to manual focus using the lcd. What do you think?

4. briandforever

briandforever Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2010
    im also thinking to protect the body from scratches... but the half skin case seems too expensive to me, im thinking stiker like aki-asahi

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The screen protector I have is actually thin glass and it is said to cut light by less than 10%. Does not make image blurry at all to my eye. It was recommended on this forum. Link: GGS Hard Glass 2.7" LCD Screen Protector for Olympus - eBay (item 220600226411 end time Nov-30-10 06:51:06 PST)

As for scratches on the body, if you are planning to keep the camera long-term I wouldn't worry much about it. Scratches don't impact performance. Your camera bag should prevent any major damage when you are transporting your gear. I looked at the half case, but I don't want to make my camera any larger, and frankly it seems like it would be a pain at times. And, as you point out, it is not cheap.

6. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010