1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Protecting the camera

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by playak47, Nov 16, 2010.

1. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    How does everyone protect their camera during use? Do u have leather covers? I have lowepro bag that I have been using while traveling. But my two month old E-Pl1 is starting to get scratches. It has to be during use but I am not really that rough with it. :confused: 

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Look at scratches as a badge of honor - they mean you are using your camera :thumbup:

I am usually more worried about the glass than the body - filters and lens caps are high on my list. As for the body a good half-case can add some handling protection - they are popular with some photographers and I have a few I have used over the years. They have protected my cameras from accidental bags and knocks on many occasions.

Screen protectors are becoming popular - I have one. And a nice scratch on the LCD on the second body that does not have one.

3. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Well I would like badge of honor to last me long time. I thought about the half case or the bag option and I ended up with the bag. I guess a lot of you have both?

Does the screen protector affect the shot taking ability if I only take shots using the screen? The screen protector on my cellphone makes the screen a little blurry. I figured screen protector on my camera might make it harder to manual focus using the lcd. What do you think?

4. briandforever

briandforever Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2010
    im also thinking to protect the body from scratches... but the half skin case seems too expensive to me, im thinking stiker like aki-asahi

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2010
    The screen protector I have is actually thin glass and it is said to cut light by less than 10%. Does not make image blurry at all to my eye. It was recommended on this forum. Link: GGS Hard Glass 2.7" LCD Screen Protector for Olympus - eBay (item 220600226411 end time Nov-30-10 06:51:06 PST)

As for scratches on the body, if you are planning to keep the camera long-term I wouldn't worry much about it. Scratches don't impact performance. Your camera bag should prevent any major damage when you are transporting your gear. I looked at the half case, but I don't want to make my camera any larger, and frankly it seems like it would be a pain at times. And, as you point out, it is not cheap.

6. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.