1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pros who made the switch to mu43 from DSLR

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jonkobeck, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    Ok, i though it would be fun to start a thread with a list of any known pros who have made the switch from a DSLR to mu4/3.

I'll start it with Canadian wedding photographer Hara Bell. Apparently Panny chose one of her inferred images for an ad for the G1.

Have a look:

My Photo Ramblings: Panasonic Lumix G1 & Infrared

2. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    He's actually been using the Ricoh's for a few years on the street. It's changed the way he works. He's looser now and getting a better relationship between himself and his subjects.

4. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    I like his work very much. I think for street photographer, the mu43 is perfect. Very often images are out of focus and grainy, so iq is not as critical, IMO. Although I owned a GR3 last year and sold it. I do miss the small pocketable size. But I really do think the G1 has better IQ then the Ricoh line.

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    GR3, great camera. Of course like you stated, it's no match for IQ to the m43.
    I am waiting for the LX5 and will probably give that a try. I think it's a great improvement over the LX3 that I liked....
    we'll see.....

6. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
    Depends on what you sell, regarding how good of image quality you need. Artsy stuff can be pretty bad IQ if you're talking about pixel peeping. If you're selling stock photos, generally you'll get most photos refused from point and shoot cameras and others that can't stand up to very close scrutiny. So, it depends on exactly what line of photography a pro is in as to whether or not they can sell photos from point and shoot and other smaller cameras. Also, lighting is a big factor too. Even if a bride doesn't notice or care about 'grain' (noise) in photos, at some point smaller cameras will run out of usable ISO when compared to say a Nikon D3s. Once you run out of ISO in a dark environment and you can't use flash, you're left with ghostly motion blur photos :) And I doubt the bride wants all her pictures blurred beyond recognition. So, just depends on the type of photos and type of work the pro does. Sure, there's lots of room for small cameras for pro usage though.

7. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    My involvement is in fine art photography, not commercial work. I also shoot with $30.00 plastic toy cameras. So for me, it's more about what I want the final photograph to say. Don't get me wrong, iq is important to me. I often print very large. Some projects require tack sharp images and others are better blurry and out of focus.

8. Hi Everyone,

Before any of you start assuming what I do and what kind of cameras I use, I would like to clear up some confusion.

I am a working shooter for over 11 years. Mostly commercial stuff and I am known with my glamour and artistic nudes. I shoot some weddings, but it isn't my primary income source.

I shoot with a Canon SLR for all my paying commercial jobs. I have been a Canon shooter all my life. Even back during the film era. I have never shot a wedding with my G1.

I use my G1 for my travel photography and personal art shoots. This being said, some of the work I have shot with my G1, has been enlarged as wall art up to 20"x30" and sits on the walls of collectors. And it has been licenced.

I hope this clears out the confusion. Thanks to Jon, now I joined your group.

Cheers,

Hera

9. m43_user

m43_user Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2010
  10. The funny thing with the G1, it isn't meant to do studio work. I have to attach a hot shoe then my studio flash trigger dangles from it as I shoot with the camera.

Over the last two years I have done an interesting project. I shot 3D Infrared shots with my Lumix G1. And now they are coming out with a proper lens to shoot 3D with micro thirds...

hahaha...

11. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    Hera, sorry about the confusion. I'm glad you found this discussion and joined us! Google is a wonderful thing isn't it :)

12. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    Great image! She looks a little like Liza!

13. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    Hera why didn't you shoot that image with your Canon DSLR? I ask because since you were already in the studio I assume you had your choice of gear, and given that i would have guessed you would have used the DSLR.
    was there any particular reason you choose to use the G1?

14. She performs as a tribute artist as Lisa, in Las Vegas, Berlin all over the world. She sings and dances like her. I have photographed her total transformation. Wait till we are finished with the AV.

They are attending a fund raiser today at a Hotel's roof top pool. Over 200 people will attend. They will perform. One of my prints signed by them (16"x20") will be autioned off. Not this one.

It will be entertaining.

15. I have a commitment to shoot for a while all my personal (non commercial) work with a G1.

This one was under that category.

• Like Like x 1