Pros/Cons of these 3 purchase scenarios, please!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by JStheoriginal, Mar 10, 2013.

1. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    so...I'm taking the OM-D E-M5 plunge soon and am trying to figure out the best first lens config to get.

Scenario 1
    • Body + 12-50mm kit lens (price $1150)
    • 17mm/f1.8 lens (price $350 after $150 MIR)
    Total $1,500

Scenario 2
    • Body + 12-50mm kit lens (price $1150)
    • 45mm/f1.8 lens (price $250 after $150 MIR)
    Total $1,400

Scenario 3
    • Body only (price $950)
    • 17mm/f1.8 lens (price $350 after $150 MIR)
    • 45mm/f1.8 lens (price $250 after $150 MIR)
    Total $1,550

I mainly enjoy taking street pics and indoor photos of family/friends/pets.
    Which of these 3 scenarios above will put me in the best position to start?

Note that I do also own these other lenses from my E-620 that I could get the adapter for if it's worth it...otherwise I was going to sell them:
    • 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 (kit lens)
    • 40-150mm f/4-5.6 (kit lens)
    • 50mm f/2.0 1:2 macro
    • 9-18mm f/4-5.6

I love the 50mm lens I have (100mm equivalent) if only for the fact that it's a lower f-stop and I can take great pictures in low light at night and indoors and get good bokeh. I get annoyed that it's too zoomed in though...

Any suggestions would really make my day. :2thumbs:

If you have a suggestion I didn't list above, feel free to share!

2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    May I suggest if you love the 50mm FOV. just get body only and the P25. It is an awesome combo!.

• Like Like x 2
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

^^ what he said.

All the scenarios only differ by choice of focal lengths.. a pure personal preference which you and only you can answer. Oh and you already did... You said you love 50mm! Why not stick to it with the P25 (which interestingly enough wasn't even listed).

• Like Like x 1
  4. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    sorry...i clarified my comment about the 50mm...I meant the 50mm macro lens i have. But i don't love the FOV since it's too zoomed.

How's the P25 do with video ont eh E-M5? Can you hear it focusing in the audio at all?

5. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Also, do you guys really think it's worth paying $600 for the P25 when I could get two other Oly lenses for the same to $150 less???

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't own the P25 so I can't comment. I do know its a wonderful lens given the feedback and samples here. I have 12, 20, 45 as my set of primes. I am also not into video.

Let me also point out that a G5 body + 12-35mm f/2.8 is within the same budget.

7. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    The P25 is $500 now :smile:

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK deep breath

I am a omd owner and I have a 510 and a shelf of 4/3 lenses... none of which focus fast and well on the OMD with autofocus. at the moment .. You are lucky ... you have the kit zooms... they cost you way less than the 12-60 and 50-200 I have:)

the 50 is still a stellar macro lens.. and as most macro work is done manually should still be a keeper

the 9-18 is a trickier question.. not tried it on the OMD.. but focus is less critica on wider lenses

sadly selling the two kit zooms is unlikely raise enough funds for a lens cap :)

If you could sell on everything except the 50 macro, then I would go for omd and kit lens plus 17 and 45... or maybe pana 20 and oly 45?

K

9. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Guys, if his current camera is the Olympus E-620 that's a 4/3 model so the 50mm macro equivalent would be more like the m4/3 PL45 macro or Oly 45...not the 25mm. (edit - I see the previous poster caught this as well)

I'd vote for scenario 1 to get your general range covered and have an excellent low-light and street lens. Second choice is scenario 3 if you want two excellent primes and can do most of your shooting and those focal lengths. Maybe take a look at your existing photos and see what you've shot the most?

10. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    the P25 is very very good... its worth 600 dollar to me... but the 17 and 45 are pretty damn good.. and at that price are a steal... If you cant get good shots with themI suggest you take up knitting :)

K

11. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    If you consider video. then from what i heard, you want the GH3 and not the OMD. I dont do video at all. so for me the OMD is a "still" camera. cant speak about video. but from what ive heard and you will read a lot in this forum is that basically narrows down to

OMD / Stills
    GH3 / Video

not saying that the OMD cant do video, just saying is not its strength compared to the GH3

12. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    If you don't do video...haven't done video... than keep quiet about video.

the OP has decided on the OMD... you and I have no idea of his expectations of the video side.. and you apparently have no clue about the subject at all

from what I have heard on forums there are nazi bases in antarctica with flying saucers... and we never went to the moon

:)
    K

• Like Like x 1
  13. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    In terms of video, all I have now is my iPhone, which i don't use to take videos often, so it would be more of a bonus.

P.S. I hlready know how to knit a little ;)

14. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    As others have said, it really comes down to the focal lengths you want.

I also shoot with a 12-20-45 trio of primes (not to say the 17 isn't great; i haven't shot with it and bought the 20 before either the 17 or the 25 was released). Since I got them, I very rarely take out my kit lens. If you're not planning on adding anything, I'd get the kit. If you like primes, you can use your 4/3 9-18 as a wide angle for now, skip the kit, and save up for a Panny 14 or the Oly 12 (my absolute favorite lens).

Anyway, that's my opinion!

• Like Like x 1
  15. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    noise from a lens trying to autofocus can be annoying....two solutions that pros use is not to autofocus and not use the internal mics.

there are so many levels to 'shooting video'... the key thing to remember is that every TV show and movie you have ever seen has been shot by the bare minimum of two people... one for pictures and one for sound... and they all have been edited to remove the crap stuff

:)

K

16. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I think getting the Oly 17mm and 45mm for $600 total is worth doing. It won't happen again unless you buy another body in the future. So I'd suggest a buying scenario that includes that. You could also consider the 14-42 II, which is usually a $50 option on the OMD instead of the 12-50. You will have macro and WA covered with the 4/3 lenses if you get the adapter.

The MMF3 is weather proofed. The MMF2 and Panasonic DMW-MA1 do the same thing but will leak, as will the third party AST adapter on amazon. Let weather and price factor into your decision, but with any of these adapters, I think you will get good use out of your four 4/3 lenses.
    -40-150 zoom will be the fastest focus but still take about 1 second.
    -50 f2 might take 4 seconds to spin thru its full focus throw before settling in. My 35mm f3.5 does that.
    -14-42 kit will also take 1-2 seconds to focus.
    -9-18 4/3 version is much bigger than the micro4/3 version but said to have better sharpness. Probably focuses slow though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Since there's the $150 mail in rebate per extra lens...I guess I could try and see how I like things...then sell later if I change my mind?

I do need to sell some of my old gear though to help pay for the new gear.

18. sge998

sge998 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    If i had to choose, I will sell all the 4/3 lenses except for the 9-18 (or maybe all if you don't shoot wide that often), then get the 17mm and 45mm. The 17mm will be a great walk around lens, and 45mm will be comparable to the 50 macro albeit shorter and brighter.

19. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    It really comes down to what you prefer. Do you want a weather sealed zoom? Are you happy shooting all primes and forgo weather sealing? This is the way I see it:

option 1
    -if you want a weather sealed zoom, and want a general low-light prime

option 2
    -if you want a weather sealed general zoom, and want a prime for portraits and shallower DOF. Also works for low light, but might be a more limited focal length for indoors and tight spaces.

option 3
    -if your happy without weather sealing, and happy to use primes only. Will probably get sharper images than 12-50 as well.

Or let me throw in option 4
    -If you have the capital; buy 12-50, 17mm 1.8, 45 1.8 . sell what you don't want. You probably won't make a huge loss and more likely to make a small profit if you resell the 17mm 1.8.

You can probably resell the 45mm for ~$300, so with delivery and paypal fees you might be slightly ahead
    You can probably resell the 17mm 1.8 ~$450, so you'll probably be slightly ahead.
    Not sure what the 12-50 is reselling for... you might make a small loss or break even selling this one.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Well, as others have said, it all depends on which focal lengths you prefer and your preference of zooms or primes. I happen to like both primes and zooms and find myself with a camera when one but not the other is the correct choice. I would suggest starting with your scenario number #1. I really enjoy the O17 and having a zoom is often important. Then I would suggest adding the O45 when you can. I know that it is one more lens than you asked for but the 12 - 50, O17 & O45 is nice a three lens kit that appears to speak to your shooting preferences.

• Like Like x 1