Propper Office Chair .. (before I die)

nueces snapper

Mu-43 All-Pro
My chair is killing me. Probably literally. Lately info has surfaced that sitting for hours at a time may be one of the most health damaging things we can do.

And all of us internet junkies and post processing mavens spend a lot of time sitting. If we are going to do it ... perhaps doing it right might help.

I've always wanted and needed a really good desk chair. What seems like the decent ones or really good ones go as high as 2500 clams. (ouch) Then again some that claim to be really good are around 1000. Surely China can make a good knock off for 500 or so. :wink:

Any recommendations?

Mu-43 Legend
I work from home on the phone a lot, so I broke down and went to a real office furniture store, not Staples, Best Buy or one of those places. A real one. Just make sure the chair has every adjustment possible. I have the seat of the chair actually tilt forward, so it doesn't cut into my legs and create those clots, etc. It was like $300-400, but I worked with a salesman, tried out a bunch and paid up for a good one. I've had it for like 6 years now, and it's as good as a chair can be, and the fabric hasn't fallen apart, etc.

Now sure a brand name would help, but that's just my two cents.

Mu-43 Legend
I worked in a high-tech company with Aerons (listed in that article). One of my issue with these "ergo" chairs are the hard, front edges (the Aeron has one). While the back, etc. are all held up well, the front edge cuts into the underside of your legs, which to my unmedically-trained mind, is a potential threat to blood clots.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, though...

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One thing to consider is that if you are tall, short or heavy you may need some kind of custom chair (especially if you have any physical issues to begin with). I'm close to breaking down and spending some cash on a nice chair. Looking at BodyBilt chairs, but I could also spend that cash on a G3, a 45/1.8, a 14-42X, and have change left over.

I know it makes sense to invest in a good chair (I'm in it 8 - 10 hours many days), but for some reason it's hard to convince myself to spend more than a few hundred dollars on one.

SamoyedPapa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
After experiencing lower back pain, I bought a Herman Miller Aeron chair with armrest and used it in my home office for about 5 years before handing it down to my daughter who has spine issues. I continue to use an Aeron at the office, and have also bought one for my father to use at home. They are indeed very good chairs with plenty of adjustability. The breath-through mesh fabric is another big plus in the summer time, or if you tend to sweat. As others have mentioned, the hard front edge of the seat cushion frame can pinch circulation to the legs, and the hard mesh fabric can wear away clothing.

A few years ago, I replaced my home Aeron chair with the Humanscale Freedom chair with arm and headrest. These chairs are very supportive, yet recline with ease, all the while maintaining support of the entire back, neck and head regardless of the position. The cushions are very good. If you spend a lot of time in front of the computer, I think it is worth every penny. The only downside, as with most chairs that don't use mesh, has been the tendency to get warm and sweaty during hot days.

Price-wise, neither are cheap, nor do I consider them expensive if you factor in the cost of chiropractor visits or the value of being free from aches and pains. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. To use a photographic analogy, you can keep buying cheap tripods (chairs) or buy the good stuff once and be set for life.

An alternative to buying new is to scour your local area for used office equipment. After the Great Recession, many businesses downsized (or went bust) and there was a sudden flood of available high-end office furniture and these chairs in great condition were available for less than a third of the cost of new ones.

Mu-43 Legend
I did that for a while. It certainly has an appeal, and you are more likely to sit upright, too.

Tecpatl4

Mu-43 Veteran
I work for a bank, and after many years of crappy office chairs, they finally started buying Aeron's. There are thirteen thousand people in our building, and about 2,000 have these. Chair thievery is a problem so there is a dedicated real estate person who hunts them down.

But it is a nice chair.

Latest threads

Top Bottom