Proper Setup for weddings?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Tothepetercopter, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Tothepetercopter

Tothepetercopter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2012
    I'm wondering what the best lens choices are for wedding and event photography on my EP3.

I currently only have a panny 25mm 1.4 and had to turn down a job due to my lack of proper lenses.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The next ideal lens to pair up with that would probably be the m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 except that it's not quite out yet. ;) So the next best would be the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 to get you a little into the short telephoto range.

Then I would add the Zuiko 150mm f/2 or Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 for a more serious telephoto lens. If you're shooting weddings then shallow DOF is "the rage", and the Zuiko 150mm f/2 will probably deliver the best. The Zuiko 35-100mm f/2 is many wedding photographer's dream lens, but I think it's too ungainly on an E-P3. You're better off to use native primes for the shorter focal lengths, and save the large lenses for the telephotos.

The Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II is also a good standard zoom lens. If you're comfortable with primes you will probably get better performance however out of the native ones like your Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux and the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8. However, if you feel you need a zoom in that range then this one is the best option so far (until we see the Lumix X 35-100mm f/2.8 and Lumix X 12-35mm f/2.8 later this year).

If you're finding you need something a little wider, then the m.Zuiko 12mm f/2 would be a very useful lens to you. I doubt you'll need any wider than that for weddings or events. I also doubt you'll need any longer than the 200mm telephoto range I mentioned earlier as well. That might depend on what kind of events we're talking about though ;)
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    "I currently only have a panny 25mm 1.4 and had to turn down a job due to my lack of proper lenses."
    You shouldn't have done so. This lens is quite capable. Quite.
    I have shot two weddings with just a Nikon D3 and a 50mm, 1/4; the equivalent FL-wise of the Panny 25mm, f/1/4.

"...shallow DOF is 'the rage.'"

It's more than that. It's de rigueur for wedding photogaphy.
  4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    The best lens will match the way you see the world. Personally I carry everything from a 12mm to 400mm (35mm equiv), but shoot over 80% of the day with a 50mm. Second most popular is a 21mm. But that's me. Every one is different.