1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Proper Setup for weddings?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Tothepetercopter, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Tothepetercopter

Tothepetercopter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2012
    Indiana
    I'm wondering what the best lens choices are for wedding and event photography on my EP3.

I currently only have a panny 25mm 1.4 and had to turn down a job due to my lack of proper lenses.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The next ideal lens to pair up with that would probably be the m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 except that it's not quite out yet. ;)  So the next best would be the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 to get you a little into the short telephoto range.

Then I would add the Zuiko 150mm f/2 or Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 for a more serious telephoto lens. If you're shooting weddings then shallow DOF is "the rage", and the Zuiko 150mm f/2 will probably deliver the best. The Zuiko 35-100mm f/2 is many wedding photographer's dream lens, but I think it's too ungainly on an E-P3. You're better off to use native primes for the shorter focal lengths, and save the large lenses for the telephotos.

The Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II is also a good standard zoom lens. If you're comfortable with primes you will probably get better performance however out of the native ones like your Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux and the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8. However, if you feel you need a zoom in that range then this one is the best option so far (until we see the Lumix X 35-100mm f/2.8 and Lumix X 12-35mm f/2.8 later this year).

If you're finding you need something a little wider, then the m.Zuiko 12mm f/2 would be a very useful lens to you. I doubt you'll need any wider than that for weddings or events. I also doubt you'll need any longer than the 200mm telephoto range I mentioned earlier as well. That might depend on what kind of events we're talking about though ;) 

3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    "I currently only have a panny 25mm 1.4 and had to turn down a job due to my lack of proper lenses."
    You shouldn't have done so. This lens is quite capable. Quite.
    I have shot two weddings with just a Nikon D3 and a 50mm, 1/4; the equivalent FL-wise of the Panny 25mm, f/1/4.

"...shallow DOF is 'the rage.'"

It's more than that. It's de rigueur for wedding photogaphy.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The best lens will match the way you see the world. Personally I carry everything from a 12mm to 400mm (35mm equiv), but shoot over 80% of the day with a 50mm. Second most popular is a 21mm. But that's me. Every one is different.

Gordon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.