Proof:A Fool and His Money are Soon Parted

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RajC, Aug 17, 2013.

1. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    In case this forum doesn't have enough talk about foolish purchases:

Studio Will Shoot a 3D Portrait of You Using 60 DSLRs | Popular Photography

Yes, some people are that vain that they would want a 3-D replica of themselves.

I also take issue with the text saying a 3-D portrait. Would that be a hologram?

There are kids in this country that can't afford fresh produce and gobs of money are spent on 3-D figurines?

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I've tried to give up judging how other people spend their money.

For a wedding cake topper, this would be awesome.

I could see parents capturing their kids like this.

Maybe I'll put this on my Christmas list. I wonder if they can do a shot of my wife and I riding our tandem bike.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    There are people in this country who can't afford food, but there are people who buy $60,000, $100,000, even $500,000 cars, $10 million dollar homes, vacation homes. There are even people who take vacations and fly first class when they do so. And taking all of their money and giving it to the poor won't solve the problem of poverty.

If you can imagine, there are even people who spend $500, $1000 and are prepared to spend $1500 on camera bodies, and thousands more on lenses. How wasteful when a $100 phone will take perfectly adequate pictures, and the extra money could be donated to charity!

There is lots of "wasteful" spending in this country, but presumably those people earned their money, and they have the right to spend it as they see fit. Maybe they also donate thousands of dollars to legitimate charities. What is your "wasteful" is another person's choice.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    What do they buy instead?

5. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    1 in 5 kids in America goes to bed hungry at night. Hard to believe but true.

Having said that, it is wasted energy to get upset because someone spends money on something you think is frivolous. Instead of getting mad at others, do what you can to help. Donate food and time to a food bank. Volunteer at a homeless shelter. Donate your extra stuff to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Help out at a Boy or Girls Club. Don't worry about the other guy. You can't control him. You do the right thing.

6. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    No, not really. Having worked in government healthcare the past 30 years, you get told a lot of garbage. "Going to bed hungry" is defined by the US government as not having three meals a day, ONCE, in a thirty day period. Most of us would fit that lousy definition.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

7. picturewow

picturewow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    I'd be careful calling people fools. You have to remember that the whole photography business is selling luxury products. And many people here make their living selling portraits, with the only difference is that their work is 2d.

8. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
  10. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Food insecurity and poverty seldom have much in common. They are measures of two different things.

11. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Interesting, when I was at San Diego Comic Con last month, there was a booth doing a similar rig:
    *EDIT: sorry for the non-rotation before uploading!

Attached Files:

12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    So having a 2D photo of yourself is not vain but a 3D one is?

13. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - So much money is wasted . . .

14. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Life is about choices.

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    My neck hurts, I blame NooHoggin.

16. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I fail to see how in the grand scheme of things this is different from buying any camera or lens. I mean, c'mon, there are lots of homeless people in the world and you're spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a useless hobby? And how about people buying statuary and other decorations for their backyards, isn't it also extravagant? Surely nobody NEEDS to have a beautiful statue or a nice mahogany bench when $5 plastic backyard furniture is totally serviceable, do they?

I also fail to see what gives you moral authority to judge other people.

The truth is, if people only did what is necessary and not what they want, there would be no art, no sports, no hobbies and the world would be an extremely gloomy and unpleasant place.

17. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    People are free to judge others and form opinions. The figurines are wasteful. Buying expensive cameras and lenses is fine.

18. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Here's a rig Autodesk set up at GDC 2012 (March):
    P1030072.
    This one was designed strictly for the face, and it's intended for a variety of uses in 3D graphics and animation. Not quite so frivolous, but the basic tech is ages old. It's just novel (and ingenious) to hook it up with 3D printing to sell little toys.

From the article you linked:
    That's not a lot of money compared to some of the stupid **** people buy, for example as vacation souvenirs or gold jewelry or diamonds. Hell, I think engagement rings for thousands of dollars are an idiotic expense that represents deserved pointless debt. (Luckily my fiancee agrees...)

I could give twenty thousand dollars to charity a year. It would be within my means. Instead I'm surrounded by expensive cameras, expensive guitars, expensive amplifiers, expensive speakers, expensive computers, etc. That's how American society is -- heavily consumerist, heavily capitalist, and heavily favoring the people on top. So before judging other people for their trinkets, first look at your own life and consider how much money you've spent on useless junk.

Attached Files: