Prolost Presets for Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by danimal, Jul 11, 2013.

1. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    For all you Lightroom users out there I want to recommend the Prolost Presets for Lightroom. They're a collection of presets for image manipulation that get previewed in the preset preview window. I've found them really useful so far. Check out the video for an explanation from the creator.

https://vimeo.com/69990212

Version 1.5 was just released and it's $19.99. I find it really useful and well worth the money. As Stu says, it makes me think more like a photographer and less like an engineer with numbers and sliders.

2. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Interesting. There are other similar looking Lightroom preset systems. I've found most of them are less intuitive than using Lightroom's already intuitive top down approach. Not to say this one is not good though. I'm tempted to try it.

The presentation he did on his Lightroom workflow using these presets was fascinating link

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thanks Dan, I just bought the Prolost presets. I won't completely give up manipulating sliders and creating my own presets, but these look really nice. I'll probably get the most use out of them with difficult images. :smile:

4. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

I just bought them. It's a really interesting way to work in Lightroom. It's more akin to using Snapseed on a tablet. You get that instant feedback.

His Adobe presentation is well worth watching as he goes into great depth discussing his vision using the presets.

5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The thing that can be nice about presets is that with one click you can see how a set of changes would look - sort of an instant alternative take on the photo. If it works, great. If it almost works, you can tweak individual settings. If it doesn't work at all, there's always CTRL+Z!

Big edit - just watched his video. He's way ahead of me, which is no surprise. That's a great approach to workflow - I may spring for it!

6. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

I just wish you could make the preview window larger in Lr. Adobe really need to address this as many people are using stackable presets now and the window is just a little too small to be truly useful.

Perhaps we could use this thread to show images using the Prolost presets?

7. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    How do these presets compare with Nik software?

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think I'm sold on this approach. Seems very natural and quicker than the usual LR approach. At $20, it's definitely worth a try.

Thanks for the heads up!

9. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    These are just presets on top of Lightroom's controls. Nik software is, for me, generally for more advanced editing.

These wont fit into everyone's workflow but for those that it does I feel it will be a great way to quickly get where you want to go.

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Some of these allow you to quickly T&E adjustments that would be truly a PITA to try making in LR - like the combination temp/tint WB adjustments.

11. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    i just watched the video and bought them immediately. This looks like a great workflow that I would really enjoy. Now I've gotta find some time to go shoot tomorrow and try them out!

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I know this is an old thread but figured it's better to bring this up rather than start a new thread to ask if anyone has more recent experience with these presets (since last summer's last post)? I continue to think that they're interesting but haven't gone ahead an bought them. My biggest concern is whether they'd represent too much of a change in work flow or possibly just visually gum up the interface.

Thanks for any commentary.

13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I bought them, but TBH, don't use them a lot. The preview is really too small to make it worthwhile.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

That's the point I was going to make. Adobe are missing a trick with the preview window. There should be an option to increase the size of the window to allow for this kind of thing. A lot of people do use the window in this way for quickly previewing changes but it's far from ideal.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    That makes tons of sense...any other thoughts???