1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

"Project Freebie" - SMENA 8M, T-43 lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Blackcat, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Blackcat

Blackcat New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013
    PL
    I've already said hello in welcome topic, but this is my first proper post so hello once again to all forum users :th_salute:.

Some time ago I found Smena 8M camera in old boxes. In my country they are almost lying on the streets and it's not hard to get one (smenas, not boxes :smile:).
    I found a thread where someone attached smena lens to Canon DSLR, so I thought why not my GF3?

Here are the effects:

Przechwytywanie.

Body cap with proper hole glued to one plastic part (about 5mm thick) of dismounted lens + screw thread with lens to be able to focus properly.
    Aperture can be adjusted from 4 to 16 with that black ring.
    I can focus on objects not closer than around 40 cm from the lens.

Now the best part, two photos shot with the same aperture, iso and shutter speed, with flash. First one with smena lens, second with stock mega o.i.s. 14-42:

P1040455a. P1040457a.

Which one did better job. What do you think?

I will post some more pics when the weather will become as it should be in spring, and when my flu will finally disappear :smile:.

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Your first two images (of the lens mods?) aren't showing up in the post. Or at least they're not showing up for me.

Also, I'm curious as to which country you are in where the streets are littered with cameras.

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    My guess is Eastern Europe. Smena 8's are really common here. Not sure what the proper distance is for them, or if the lens is any good to bother with adapting...

4. Blackcat

Blackcat New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013
    PL
    The same country where ppl know word "metaphore" :tongue:. Central Europe - Poland.

I used the forum attachments. Is it only DeeJayK who can't see the camera pics? Specially for u DJK:
    P1040463. P1040464.

Cost of Smena 8M is around 30 PLN. I got it for free, cause a lot of families in older days had one, as well as Zenit cameras with Helios lens.

I mounted the lens for fun. Distance will be the body cap plus ~ 1,4 - 1,8 mm. We will see if it does well when some sunny days will come. The weather has gone wild now.

5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Thanks for the repost -- these ones I can see, but the first pair of images in your original post are still not showing up (at least not for me).

The Smena 8 is a fixed lens camera, correct? How difficult was it to disassemble the lens from the body?

6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Photos are same for me. The second time showing, the first not.

7. Blackcat

Blackcat New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013
    PL
    Edited first post. Now it should be fine.

It was really easy to take it out of the camera, only 4 screws. Fun part start when you take it out. It is also easy to disassemble the lens itself. Then you only have to use your imagination, and things you have around to connect it to your :43: body. The most difficult part was to make a hole in a cap to be honest :smile:.

You can see some other photos of the lens disassembly: Obiektyw makro za 20z
    It's not smena 8m, but still the lens is very similar.

At first i didn't want to destroy the lens "interior", but the lens needs to go further backward and forward to focus closest and farthest, than it was stock.
    Now I only have to watch out not to drop it on the floor, cause it has no... hmm "brake"? And it may come off. This is not a big problem though, you can feel it after a short time.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013
    PL
    Finally the weather is nice enough to take pictures. I've spent some time on waxing my car and took some photos. Few of them with my little smena lens.

Here are the results:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Looks like decent enough results from what is essentially a "free" lens. Are you happy with the results?

10. Blackcat

Blackcat New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013
    PL
    for a FREE lens? I'm very happy with the results.

Pics were taken with aperture around 8,2. I think it could be lower, like 5.

When the camera is pointed towards the sun, effects are very bad. When the sun was behind me it was better.
    This lens makes great photos indoor, for me better than stock 14-42. Of course it takes longer to adjust.

To be honest, when my new m42 adapter arrives, I will probably not use this lens anymore :)

Two more shots:
    [​IMG][​IMG]