1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Progo charger stops charging before Oly does...big issue or not?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Jul 25, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

So I *FINALLY* got my Progo charger/batteries...I love that it doesn't have the stupid cord of the Oly and it's much smaller. I'm going backpacking for nearly a month, so size/weight are massive issues. I really want to take the Progo with me and leave the Oly charger at home...HOWEVER...I'm charging batteries now, and it looks like when the Progo shuts down because the battery is "full," if I change it to the Oly charger, it keeps going. Is this going to be an issue? Or is it only a negligible difference?

Thanks!
    T

PS: I need answers ASAP, since I'm leaving for the airport in 22 hours haha

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    What does the camera show as the charge? How long does the Oly charger run after the Progo says it is full?

3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    No idea, I just tossed the batteries back on and now they're all charging again...ugh...they were delayed by nearly a week, so I coudln't test them out at all...I just got them tonight and my damn car broke down on the way home, didn't get home 'till almost 1 a.m....I'm going to sleep and going to try to figure this out in the 5-6 hours I'll have tomorrow haha

4. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Sweet...remember all the questions I had about these chargers on here? Yup...looks like all the info I was given is wrong. Not happy with you guys right now haha...

The Progo batteries aren't charging in the Oly charger and the Oly batteries aren't charging in the Progo charger...just...awesome. Now I'll have to decide whether to take just 2 batteries, or take all 4, but with 2 chargers...

5. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

That's the reason I got rid of my aftermarket batteries and went all OEM. For now, you had better take two chargers.

6. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    I reported on a previous thread that my Progo batteries do NOT charge on my Oly charger. However, I had a 2nd party charger that works fine with the Progos. Yep, I carry 2 chargers.

7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Well, that really sucks. I hate carrying extra stuff...every bit of extra weight I carry is on my back for a month, and it takes up very precious space in my backpack. I know an extra charger may not seem like much, but when you live out of a relatively small (55L) backpack, it's big...especially when I spent a ton of time and money trying to come up with the most compact/lightest camera setup.

8. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Sorry to hear about this man... :eek:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Eh, it's all good...just a little disappointed in the "advice" on here, that's all haha. ;)

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Why not just take OEM batteries and find the adapter for the Oly charger that replaces the cord?

--Ken

11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I bought some of these, so I don't have to use the cord

One of the issues with the net is that people try to be helpful, but they regurgitate things that they haven't personally used, tried, seen, heard, touched, licked, etc., so they have no first hand knowledge of things they post. Seriously, the best model for internet forums is having a conversation with a total stranger in a bar.

12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I use an Apple adapter that comes off of the power supply and has the same "8" interface that the cords use. It fits right into the separately corded (e.g., Oly) chargers.

apple_adapter_zps3c6c5865.

13. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Seems like its worth paying the extra money for oem batteries, i was thinking of going with the progos as well, already had them in the cart and everything. Guess i'll be sticking with oem batteries. Thanks for posting this.

14. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I haven't had any problems yet with Wasabi batteries+chargers.

15. phidauex

phidauex Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2013
    Boulder, CO
    My OEM battery definitely charges in the Progo charger (it is the only charger I use for all my batteries at the moment). If yours is different somehow then I'm surprised.

The Oly charger does use a slightly higher charge voltage, which may or may not be a good idea. Theoretically it can float the batteries up to a slightly higher state of charge for a little more capacity. That may be why batteries moved from the Progo to the OEM seem to start charging again - it may be trying to squeeze a bit more charge in there.

Also, remember that one of the deals with many low-cost providers is that they switch internal components frequently - it may be that you have a different variation on batteries or charger than others. It is always recommended to do testing carefully before committing to a lower-cost system - you are trading a little of your time for a better deal.

I don't think anyone was full-on bull****ting you (I know I wasn't, I appreciate your frustration and current travel plight but I did try to give you accurate info). I know you are leaving for your travel now, but I'll do some more careful tests with a kill-a-watt to test the capacity issue, may be useful information for the next people.

16. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    This type of adapter works well for me.

17. lakemcd

lakemcd Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2013
    Montana
    Gary
    Just received my provo batteries a couple of days ago and shot through the charge that came shipped approx 200+ shots and just recharged it successfully on the Oly charger. Put it in the OMD and it reads full. Have not use the Progo charger yet.

18. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Since my last post about the Progo batteries I now have two more and they charge in my Olympus charger. Maybe you should contact the seller.

19. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I have a pair of Progo's that charge fine in the Olympus BCN1 charger.

I bought them off ebay, and they were not advertised as Progo batteries, but only as a battery that would charge in the Olympus charger. Seller was hichoco, and the two batteries were $14.59 shipped.