Profoto B2 or Elinchrom ELB 400 - compatibility issues with oly / pany?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by cacadepollo, Jun 25, 2016.

1. cacadepollo

cacadepollo Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2015
    SoCal
    I'm looking into stepping up my flash power output within a convenient package, and the Profoto B2 or the Elinchrom ELB 400 seems like an ideal lighting package I'm looking for. that being said, I'm concerned about what limitations there are with using it with my GH4. Profoto or Elinchrom doesn't seem to make any On-Shoe remote triggers (Air Remote or Skyport HS) for M43 usage, and by way of Elinchrom, I can't use their HS option if it's not Canon, Nikon, or Sony. I haven't found information about the Profoto Air remotes compatibility...

Anyways, i'm curious if any of yall have used either lighting package with your M43 gear..

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I've rented a couple of B1s several times this year - same system as the B2. No TTL or HHS, all manual. This is the same for Elinchrom systems.

All the high power systems will be all manual. The least expensive way into high power is Cheetah Light 360X/Bolt Bare Bulb/Goddox units. I believe Goddox is working on TTL and high speed synch for Panasonic/Olympus - but who knows when and if it'll come.

3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Currently, as long as the system can use standard (center pin) hotshoe triggering, it "should" work with m43 cameras. BUT, you will not be able to use HSS or TTL.

I've read the same regarding the godox system, Adorama even lists it as "currently in development". Honestly though, I'm finding the ability to adjust power remotely on the older system so refreshing (bought them on sale when the newer ones came out) that I'm not sure if I'll upgrade. I'm finding ND filters to be an acceptable alternative to HSS.