1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Product shots - Macro w/RC Flash & E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcr1230, Dec 22, 2013.

1. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    Today was the day to try out some product shots - setup was a table with a white posterboard as background. the FL-600R in RC mode into an umbrella, and the tiny flash that came with the E-M1 as the trigger on the camera.
    This was hand held with the 60 2.8 M.Zuiko

Lessons -

The RC setup was easy, just switch the FL-600R to RC, and switch the camera to RC mode (Camera Setup 2 --> RC Mode --> On
    the default had group A, channel 1 - so nothing to do.

Clean your subject - I didn't bother, and every little speck of dust is visible.

I might try a white tent setup, the problem with the umbrella, is the same angle that gives good exposure, throws umbrella artifacts in the lens of the camera (the subject)

Angle - when taking photos of cameras, you have to play with the angle of the light to the subject and the camera to subject - the black on the camera can easily go very dark.

White Balance - I used the custom white balance setting - seems easy to use and effective - Lever position 2, back dial to Custom White Balance Capture - shoot a white area in the same light as your subject

My next steps (other than cleaning my subject equipment):

play with the flash power - I was using EV+/- on the E-M1 to change the exposure, and it wasn't very effective
    I'm guessing the power output of the flash is the main driver

use a second flash perhaps - tried to use a Nikon SB-800, impossible to set it to RC mode without the manual, I gave up

here's the result - anty suggestions welcome:

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The Nikon SB-800 does not work with Olympus RC.

Use the Flash Comp +/- in the camera or on the flash to change flash power. See the page 131, using this you can also control the on camera flashes output (use it as a fill only).

You can also use a smaller aperture to effectively reduce the flash power. Close the umbrella part way down to try and control where the light goes. Use something between the end of your lens and the umbrella (called a flag) and a lens hood to reduce the possible flare.

Very good for your first try.

3. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    If the SB800 has an optical trigger, you can try that. If not, you can buy an optical trigger over the counter. It fits onto the SB800 hotshoe. These triggers are not intelligent and I've had high failure rates with the cheap ones. The only issue here is the SB800 would need to be set to manual mode and you would need to set the power. You can often achieve nice results firing full into a reflector.

4. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    For some reason I thought that the SB-800 and CLS were compatible w olympus - maybe because they both have 3 groups A,B,C and multiple channels per group
    I got out the SB-800 manual, set it to the same group/channel as the FL600
    And nothing happened
    I know from a previous inquiry, that the groups and channels are coded by pulses of IR light
    You theoretically could read the olympus and nikon codings and check if any combination is compatible. Most likely not though, it's probably much easier to get another FL600R

Also I noticed the stupid pulsing ready light on the 600 in RC mode
    How would anyone shoot an event like that? Although truth be told, a radio trigger setup
    Is probably more robots anyway

Thank for the tips, I will try again soon