1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Processing Old JPGs

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by sokar, Sep 24, 2012.

1. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I am considering having a photographic book of my son from his first years through to current time. Many of the older photos of him were taken with some of the first digital cameras, both compacts and a Fuji bridge camera.

Some of these photo files are quite small (below 2MB) and any cropping will reduce the size of the file to a level where many automated album programs will remind the user that the file size is too small for optimum quality. Additionally some of the shots are not ideally exposed and too little color saturation when compared with the current quality that any m43 camera can produce.

Most of the photos would be uploaded in a 8 x 10 inch photo, and I am concerned that many of the original photo files will not be adequate in detail for the print size I am considering.

I have PS, LR and Nik suite software and was considering the best options to improve the quality of these older photos.

Q. Would I be correct in assuming that layering within PS would be the first step to increase the file size and to liven up the colors and skin tones? Once the layering is compllete i could use global and specific adjustments in either LR or the Nik software to fine tune any details. By this method, I would be creating and editing a TIFF file and exporting only as a JPG for uploading to the album making software.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. This is my first attempt at such a task.

Thanks is advance.