Problems with site during last week or so

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by kingduct, Oct 5, 2015.

1. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Hi,
    During the last week, I've regularly had nothing load in the sidebar and just one post in the main column (currently the Houston Wakeboarding post which only shows a couple of paragraphs). When I do get something in the sidebar, it is only recent discussions -- no buy & sell, no hot deals.

Right now, I've got that Houston Wakeboarding post, which shows a bit of text and no images, and the recent discussions. The end result is that there's a big blank space on the left if you scroll down to see recent discussions.

Once I enter a discussion thread, things seem to appear fine. For what it's worth, I've tested logged in and logged out and on Firefox and Chrome. You may be aware of these issues already, so I'm just posting in case you weren't aware.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    FWIW I'm seeing this too.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Everything you've reported here is as intended. Buy & Sell and Hot Deals were removed from the Front Page. Would you like them back? I wasn't sure they added much, and I'm trying to avoid a Google penalty for duplicate content / excessive linking.

The front page only shows partial posts of the featured ones. It stops after a certain amount of text. Because the current featured post has a lot of text, it cuts off before the images.

4. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    1) To me, it seems weird to have this really long column on the right and a big white space on the left. With the current featured post, that bothers me more, because it seems like a photography blog ought to have some photos on the homepage.

2) I guess it seems like the Hot Deals and Buy and Sell does add some value to a site for hardware enthusiasts, though I'm pretty neutral, since I'm trying right now to avoid the temptation of buying more. However, I don't see how they lead to much excessive linking, since Buy & Sell doesn't appear in recent posts and Hot Deals doesn't get enough action to appear there often.

3) I've found that sometimes the recent posts column simply doesn't appear at all on the homepage. Is that also intentional?

To me, it seems like you've been doing a fair amount of optimization for mobile. However, I don't use mobile and I haven't seen any announcements about these changes to the regular page that seem to be making things quirkier.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That was a bug which I think I have fixed. Please let me know if it keeps happening.

6. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I'm finding that it now looks fine when I'm logged in. If I'm not logged in, there's no recent posts on the desktop website. By the way, just want to be clear that I'm not whining about the site! I love it -- just trying to help you with some user experience feedback.

(I work on a website and know that we often don't realize how the general public views it, because we're logged in or find things intuitive that our users don't find intuitive. )

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thank you, I appreciate the feedback and don't at all take it as whining. The lack of recent discussions for guests was also intentionally done so Google doesn't continue to penalize us for having too many internal links / duplicate content. Despite increasing high quality content from our members, Google has been ranking us lower and lower in searches. I'm doing everything I can about that!

8. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Hmmm... what about just having a short list of recent messages for guests? Like the last 10 or so? Seems better than the current blank space.

• Agree Agree x 1