1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Problems with Panasonic 45-175 on Olympus body

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Felt, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Felt

Felt New to Mu-43

Sep 22, 2012
    I've just bought (used on ebay, but very new and apparently in mint condition) a Panny 45-75mm. I'm using it on an Olympus E-PL2 body, and so far it's not proving very happy. The main issue is that the action of the zoom (whether in power or manual use) is very noisy and rattly at several points. This is only the case when the lens is attached to the body and powered up - otherwise it's quiet and smooth. It's the same whether or not I have the IBIS turned on on the Olympus or not. I've updated the camera firmware (though I didn't have an option to update the lens firmware).

Does this sound a familiar problem to anyone?

I'm also not convinced I'm getting the sharpest of images from it.

thanks, Martin.

2. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    The zooming action on mine is smooth and with only a soft whirring noise, nothing like rattling; I use it on the GH2 and I also tried it on the G1. Zooming is meant to be used with video so should be nearly silent. The zoom ring does not move the lens elements directly, but only controls the zooming motors and so it only has any effect if the lens is powered. Off-camera or with the camera powered off it doesn't do anything, hence the silence.

Concerning sharpness, try some test shots at 1/1000s or faster, to exclude any possible ill effects from shutter vibration on the OIS lens elements. At lower shutter speeds it might get just a little bit unsharp, even on a tripod with stabilization off.

All-in-all, it looks like you have a faulty lens.

3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Ditto...mine only rattles when not connected to the camera...no noise when zooming.

4. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    same problem here on PL1...clicking sound when zooming in and out...also when shifting from bright and dark scenes when not zooming...its loud enough to hear few ft away...

i got this new today from amazon...updated with latest firmware...

are we the only two with this problem?

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Ah, maybe you here the clicking of the diaphragm adjusting to the changing light conditions. This could also explain the clicking during zooming because the iris will have to be adjusted, because for instance f/5.6 is fully open at the long end and 1 stop closed at 45mm. Just guessing...

• Like Like x 1
  6. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    My P45-175 X and E-P3 make the clicking sound when lighting changes; it is the diaphragm changing position (look down the lens and shine a flashlight - you will see the blades move). The zoom on mine is very smooth and nearly silent.

Lee

• Like Like x 1
  7. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    Thanks Ad and Lee for the input.

That's probably it...but the clicking sound/changing of apperture makes zooming useless during video...I didn't expect this from a powerzoom designed for video. Is this problem on Oly bodies only? Anyone with both Oly and Pany bodies help test this? I hate to return the lens if it is just an issue with early Oly bodies only. Thanks.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If what you're hearing is the aperture, yes, it's only an issue on Oly bodies. A couple of other Panasonic lenses do it to. There is a menu setting, related to viewfinder brightness, I think, that can prevent, or at least greatly limit it. Search for "rattlesnake" or "rattlesnaking", and you'll probably find some threads with the proper setting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Felt

Felt New to Mu-43

Sep 22, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone have a sense of how dependent this is on the particular instance of the lens? i.e. if I try a different Pan 45-175 on the camera might I get better results??

I also assume it's not an issue in terms of image quality or durability of the lens? If I decide I can tolerate the noise and the less than smooth feel of the zooming, then it may be ok to keep.

10. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Mike
    Sorry to resurrect, but I'm having the same clicking issue on my E-PL2. Several clicks zooming in, with a couple clicks zooming out. The weird thing is that it's silent when shooting video.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has resolved their issue. Has anyone inquired about sending it in to Panasonic, or heard back from them?

11. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    First off, where did you guys find the firmware update? I went to Pannys site and the 45-175 is not listed.

Second, I use the 45-175 on my E-PM2 and it works very well in video. Silent zooming and no clicking. However I have not assured myself of the lack of shutter shock yet for stills. I can confirm the safest way to use this lens is with IS and OIS off and with fast shutter speeds (1/400 or better). I am not convinced with the OIS and those nasty midrange shutter speeds that folks have talked about.

A nice light lens that seems to have a bit of a temperament that needs to be tamed for best results.

12. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    BTW my lens shipped new from amazon with FW 1.0. Oct 2012. I'd like to try v1.1 but where to find it?

13. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Here it is. I usually look for camera and lens firmware updates here.

14. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    So if the clicking only appears during still photography, I don't think Panasonic is going to do something about it. I've heard it but never gave it any thought, to be honest. I was much more concerned with the blurring (even at OIS off) at shutter speeds between 1/60 and 1/500 s, which is why I gave up on the lens and sold it.