Problems with .orf

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pajo, Jul 27, 2014.

1. pajo

pajo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2013
    Hi everyone! Had a photo a photo session couple of day ago with friend's family of mine, and I mostly shot with flash trigged wirelessly using yongnuo setup. Camera was in raw+jpeg setting. Anyway, after checking photos on my PC in LR4 something's was wrong. Pictures didn't look good, dark, out of focus, were just dully. Then I've checked jpeg files and they seem to be all right. They are nice lit, exposure is right. I can remember that you had that situation before when using 2 flash guns wirelessly i got completely two different files. Anybody knows what is that all about? Thanks in advance

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I think you have answered it your yourself. The RAWs you have seen in LR mustn't have the same profile applied to it that the JPEGs have. RAW files usually need to have profiles & adjustments applied to them otherwise they will look flat. I'll leave experienced LR users to explain further.

3. pajo

pajo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2013
    Well, there is no problem when I don't use wireless flash :| I've checked LR setting, it looks OK for me but still there is no flash on RAWs :\

4. pajo

pajo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2013
    I've checked my old files yesterday. Some of them were shot with -3 exposure to darken the background. Subject was lit with a flash gun. Again jpeg looked fine, but RAW was darken -3 stops in LR4

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you have auto-gradation enabled on the camera? That can make some pretty noticeable tonal adjustments when the JPEGs are converted, which LR will totally ignore. Same with shadow/highlight adjust, sharpening, contrast, saturation, and a whole load of other settings.

If you really want to get the same RAW output as the camera you have to use Olympus Viewer, which does seem to pay attention to all settings and use the same algorithm as the TruePic processor.

The latest Lightroom (or Camera Raw) come close colour-wise with their Olympus colour profiles, but this doesn't take into account any other JPEG adjustments made in camera. That's why as a RAW shooter I don't use any in-camera JPEG processing options like auto-gradation, and have instead set up a baseline preset in Camera Raw for how I prefer RAW conversions to start out like.

6. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    +1

You need to keep in mind that no digital camera actually shoots JPEG. They all only shoot RAW. When the camera is set to create a JPEG, either JPEG only or JPEG+RAW, the camera is actually shooting a RAW and then converting it to JPEG using the settings chosen in the cameras setup. The camera's conversion settings are recorded into the header of the RAW file, if one is saved to the card, but most of these settings are meaningless to any RAW converter other than one written by the camera manufacturer.

Olympus Viewer contains Olympus' proprietary TruePic code so it can reliably use the settings embedded in the RAW's header. LR, on the other hand, is written by Adobe and doesn't have access to Olympus' proprietary code and thus can't make reliable use of most of the embedded settings. It uses its own defaults instead. LR uses need to make their own adjustments either on a picture by picture bases or establish their own presets. If you create, or acquire from some 3rd party source, a good preset you can have LR apply that preset when the RAW images are imported.

7. pajo

pajo Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks you all for the inputs. I have checked those Orfs in Only Image Viewer and they look OK. I did one more test with LR. Uploaded RAWs only shot with wireless flash and they look OK.
    Then uploaded JPEGs, again all good, then uploaded RAWs+jpegs and photos looks bad, no flash is visible on photos. That's really weird. Checked LR setting but couldn't find anything wrong, so just give up with this issue. Just need to remember to import orfs only.