1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Problems with OM F.Zuiko 50mm 1,8?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Ramsey, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    So i just got my first legacy lens (and on the same day i received my adapter) so i was naturally stoked.

It's been an hour reviewing the lens and i'm quite bummed now. :frown:

Not quite sure but i think there's haze visible in the lens. I'm still not completely sure is it the light i'm shinning that's giving the haze or is it the lens itself. I was going by images posted by DeeJayK in the https://www.mu-43.com/f40/how-evaluate-used-lenses-23559/

also, it was only until the light in the dark room test that i was able to see the dust within the lens, on the inner elements.

tried taking some pics with it, and it appears to work fine, but it's dark now so i was limited to taking pics within the poorly lit room, so i'll wait until daylight is available (tomorrow) to properly assess the actual shots.

the aperture and focus ring seem fine, there's some (read: an ant could barely hear it) "grazing" when focusing, but nothing major. Also, there's no visible scratches on the outer part of the lens (maybe some micro ones but again, no major concern).

I have not yet left the feedback to the ebay seller, but i'm not sure if returning is even worth it, the lens was 25$, the shipping 14$. If i ship it back, it's going to be at least additional 10-15$, i guess it's really not worth it...

any advice?

EDIT: probably a stupid question, but is it a problem if I adjust the aperture to any stop (apart from fully open) and the blades don't "come out" until i press one of the silver buttons on the lens? That's when the lens is not on the camera, on the camera it works.

2. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    If you can take some sample photos in good light wide open and stopped to f2.8 and f4, then it would be easier to evaluate if there's something wrong. Also if you have the kit zoom it would be even better if you can take some side by side photos with the 50mm @ f5.6 and the kit zoom 42mm @ f5.6. -in that scenario the OM zuiko should out perform the kittyzoom.

• Like Like x 1
  3. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Don't know which adapter you are using, but the Fotodiox type has a tab that enables aperture adjustment. Are you doing your test with the lens mounted on the adapter?

Regarding lens performance, I did do a side-by-side test of the OM 1.8 50 mm, compared to the 14-42 kit zoom. At f5.6 they were very similar. Possibly the OM was a bit sharper. Of course the OM has over 3 stops more light gathering capability at this focal length. Very useful outdoors in the evening.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    OK, i took some photos with both 50mm and 14-42 (at 42mm), maybe not the most appropriate subject to determine sharpness, but I'm at work and don't actually get paid to take pictures :)

all shot were taken at f5,6, 1/1000, ISO 200. E-bayish gorilla pod, IBIS off, 12 sec delay (the gorilla is the smallest one, i tried 2 sec but the shutter press still caused some shaking).

of course there is a difference in composition, and i did have the gorilla in excatly the same location for every shot but the kit maxes out at 42mm so i guess that's understandable.

the first two shots were taken with focus on tree and leafs in the center of the shot (with kit zoom i magnified and MF assisted to get the leaf in focus the best i could)

tree - OM by Iramljak, on Flickr

tree - kit by Iramljak, on Flickr

in the second two shot I was trying to get the reflection of the building in focus (also MF assisted for the kit zoom).

reflection - OM by Iramljak, on Flickr

reflection - kit by Iramljak, on Flickr

to me, it seems that the OM is a bit sharper, but that could just be my MF assist making a good picture bad. Also, the colours are totally different - is it me (with my pour settings) or the actual lenses?

i'll do a couple of pics of better subjects (more appropriate for sharpness and flare/haze) if i get time today or on the weekend.

Luckily, it seems that the seller has a pretty good return policy, so i'm not so bummed out.

i enjoy MF (with magnify of course), and with shutter speeds fast enough, this legacy lenses thing is gonna be great. For anything that moves at all, the AF on new lenses will have to suffice (i'm probably going to buy 14mm next month, just to have a reasonably fast, reasonably wide prime)

the test was without the adapter, with the adapter everything works fine. Thank you

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    It looks from the photo you took that you can keep this lens.
    Try to shot on a less noisy background in order to check for internal dirt.
    I do it by shooing at a news paper attached to white wall.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Your OM Zuiko seems to give better colours than the kit lens and from those pictures I can't find anything wrong in the shots. You could also take sample shots of a blank white paper and also of a paper with some text in it (f1.8, f2.8 and f.5.6). In good light of course. Many adapters lock the aperture by default so when the lens is attached to the adapter the dialed aperture value is always "on". I guess with OM film cameras the dialed aperture was actually "on" only when the shot was taken, until that it was wide open.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    very good advice with the newspaper, i was looking for something that will give consistent "scenery" from center to the edges, this seems perfect.

that was my guess too on the aperture and adapter, i guess i panicked too soon when i saw what i thought was haze.

what troubles me now is if the kit lens has any problems, i bought it refurbed (although i do have a 2 year warranty).

will do more shots with both lenses in the near future to see for any possible problems. Thx everyone

8. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The only stupid question is the one that you don't ask. The aperture blades are not supposed to change even if you change the aperture dial when the lens is not on the camera. The blades only move when you press the silver button on the lens when it's off camera. This is perfectly normal...

• Like Like x 1