Problems With Google Chrome Freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carbonman, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    If I have a few tabs open and try to close one, Chrome won't close the tab or let me go to another tab. The only solution is to use Task Manager to close all the chrome tasks listed. When Chrome is reopened, it wants to open the tabs from the last session.
    I'm also running into time lags when clicking on items in web pages, sometimes several seconds delay.
    Does anyone have a solution?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  2. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

After happily using Chrome for several years, I had similar problems some time ago. My solution was to switch to Firefox. I've had no trouble since.

Brian

3. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    I also happily used Chrome for years. Then i got a new macbook pro and Chrome became unusable. Particularly Chrome Helper, the moment that fired up the macs processor activity maxed out and overheated. The fans were on after just moments. I've now solved that problem by going back on Safari.

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I had Chrome weirdness until I realised it had updated in the background and wanted me to relaunch. Problems went away right after relaunching.

I've also taken to running Adblock, Privacy Badger & Ghostery - cripples my browsing experience but goes some way towards reducing the information leaked about my browsing habits.

You could try clearing your browser cache ? Or just remove (just rename it with a '-' prefix and relaunch to recreate it) the Chrome prefs folder completely and start from scratch (obviously cookies/saved-passwords will be lost).

5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I switched to Chrome from Firefox several years ago because it would freeze my whole computer. Firefox doesn't like 64 bit Win 7.

6. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    I change these settings among others in Chrome for my clients when they use it as their browser. I personally prefer Firefox but use IE and Chrome as well each for their own strengths.

Click on the Menu button (three lines in a square pattern) and select 'Settings'

People section:
    Disable 'Enable Guest Browsing' (better to have a guest user account at the OS level than let them use yours)
    Disable 'Let anyone add a person to Google Chrome' (I've seen users with duplicates of themselves due to this)

Click 'Show Advanced Settings' at the bottom to expand the view for many more settings.

Click 'Content Settings' -> Turn on 'Block third-party cookies and site data' (reduces tracking cookies as you navigate the web, less crap for your browser to manage)
    Click 'Done'
    Click 'Clear browsing data' button
    Leave 'Obliterate...' set to 'the beginning of time'
    Make sure that 'Cookies and other site and plugin data', 'Cached images and files', and 'Hosted app data' are checked on.
    Click 'Clear browser data' button. (This will clear the stored data. Sites that used cookies to remember your username and the like will require reentry at the next visit. If this has never been done it can take up to a couple minutes.)

Privacy section:
    Turn off 'Use a prediction service to complete URLs'. (This slows down responsiveness while entering a URL or search term and often results in users clicking on the wrong result sometimes with embarrassing results.)
    Turn off 'Prefetch resources to load pages more quickly'. (Unless you are on a slow connection this is unnecessary, causes Chrome to cache a lot more data than it would if you were loading page data only for the pages you actually visit which in turn reduces performance over time and Chrome searches that cache data on subsequent visits. It's also abusive to the site host by downloading data that you will often never see.)

The most important setting related to performance is under 'System'
    Disable 'Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed' (When enabled multiple Chrome threads will remain running in memory when you have 'closed' Chrome. If you have Chrome Apps or Extensions that regularly query for data or updates it will suck up memory and often when you launch Chrome again to use it the already running instances will drag down performance.

I also highly suggest running the original "Adblock" or "Adblock Plus" extensions to block ads, speed loading times and reduce unnecessary cached data. I like to support sites but the reality is that ad networks are a major vector for malware exploits as the networks do a poor to nonexistent job of verifying the integrity of their advertisers, or testing and filtering for malicious ad links.

Good luck and I hope the information was helpful.

• Informative Informative x 5
  7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Also, if you are running Win8, do not run Chrome in Win8 mode, run it in Desktop mode. Whenever I try running it in Win8 mode, it gets glitchy. Desktop mode, it runs fine. I am running the developer/beta version though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    felipegeek, thanks, I'll give it a try.

9. felipegeek

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    I'll add one more thing. Check your 'Extensions' tab after making the settings changes as well. A default Chrome install would only have Google Docs related extensions installed. If you have a bunch of others besides the Docs-related and Adblock one I recommended delete them unless they are a useful and often used extension. Extensions are programs that run within the context of the Chrome instance. Badly behaved extensions can cause memory and CPU usage issues. Malicious or dubious ones such as Conduit, Ask and Solid MapsGalaxy will make Chrome utterly useless. If you find ones like those installed, delete them then install MalwareBytes and let it clean up the programs that installed those extensions in the first place as they would be causing their own issues as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    After reloading Win 7 on my new SSD and getting my email transferred over as well, everything runs great. I'm going to get a new machine built with an i7 Skylake chipset/motherboard and 16GB of RAM. Should fly pretty well.

11. felipegeek

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @Carbonman@Carbonman Given that you just did a clean install of Windows 7 on an SSD I assume your Chrome performance problems persisted since you posted after trying the suggestions to optimize it. Were you having other application performance issues that convinced you it was time to start over?

12. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    @felipegeek@felipegeek, the machine was running like a dog. Once the new SSD was installed and a clean install of Windows 7 done, my problems disappeared. BTW, my new 32" monitor is great with the new Asus GTX 750Ti video card. I still plan to get a new machine built next year to speed things up and minimize hardware problems for several years.