Problems with 7artisans 25mm lens

Doc Spurgeon

Mu-43 Rookie
I just purchased a new 7artisans 25mm 1.8 lens from Amazon. I was looking forward to giving it a try on my OM-D EM-5, but I can't even get the lens to mount. I align the red dots but the lens will not turn and lock. I also tried it on my PM2, but the same result. I'm afraid I just received a defective lens. Any suggestions?

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
Look at the mount. Is it actually a mft mount version? It could be a version with a different mount. If it was fulfilled by Amazon, it should be easy to return and receive a replacement.

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
It should have the three flanges and pin placement like this:
highres-olympus-m-zuiko-17mm-pancake-micro-four-thirds-lens-6_1344861516.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Doc Spurgeon

Mu-43 Rookie
I am attaching a photo. It says it is M4/3 on the mount and looks as if it should work, but it will not turn and mount. I believe I am going to have to return it. Thanks.

IMG_6030.JPG

genesimmons

Mu-43 Top Veteran
i just got a 7 artisans fish eye for my sony a7. it fits but is pretty snug,took a few tries to get it to mount but fits and locks and works well. i have a adapter for m43 and it fits but doesnt click like u state, i think its just poor quality control

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
I don't think that is a mft mount. Even though it is label as such.
I am not sure I agree. Looks like a m43 mount to me. The 3 screw bottom design looks like my P12-32. I wonder if the red dot is in the wrong spot. It should be somewhere near that depression at the 8 o'clock position in the image.

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
It shouldn't be so hard to find lens mount images on the google. I am really failing.

If that lens is mft, I would agree that quality control may be the reason it doesn't fit.

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
If I had to guess there's a design defect on the bayonet.

The m4/3 bayonet standard includes a small bevel on the leading edge to cam the lens closer to the body and guide the bayonet for ease of mounting (it also helps compress weather seals if present). It also acts to improves the smoothness as you rotate/lock the lens while the spring in the bayonet mount is compressing (makes the spring grabbing less likely).

bevel.jpg

The part I'm talking about is where the red arrow is pointed, it's only about 1mm long and is easy to overlook if you're not familiar with the m4/3 standard. If I had to guess it's missing and the edge of the bayonet is just a right angle and thus doesn't cam the lens in as you rotate it, pressing the lens *hard* into the body while rotating it may still allow it to be mounted.

Doc Spurgeon

Mu-43 Rookie
I was able to mount it on my PM2, but it won’t begin to mount on my EM-5, and that is the camera for which I purchased it. I no problems with any other lens on my EM-5. They go on smooth. Thanks for all the help, but I am just going to return it.

Scottboarding

Mu-43 Regular
It looks like it might be the same case as the ZY Optics 25mm f0.95. That lens has a protruding rear element that doesn't allow it to be mounted on the E-M5.1 because of the "latter" design of the mount of that camera. From looking at that photo, that appears to be the problem.

Artaius

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
/jamesartaius
It looks like it might be the same case as the ZY Optics 25mm f0.95. That lens has a protruding rear element that doesn't allow it to be mounted on the E-M5.1 because of the "latter" design of the mount of that camera. From looking at that photo, that appears to be the problem.
I was just about to suggest this – I remember reading about mounting issues from E-M10 users due to the pentaprism design, and I seem to think the protruding mount may have been mentioned too. Worth a bit of Googling, though I would have hoped that whoever was selling/retailing the lens would have made a note about the issue if so.

Latest threads

Top Bottom