1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Problems importing E-M1 images to Lightroom

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ihamaki, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Ihamaki

Ihamaki New to Mu-43

May 28, 2014
    Finland
    Timo Ihamaki
    I've been importing images from my E-M1 without problems. But last time I powered up my Lightroom (latest version) in my pc, LR bluntly refused to import the images from the SD card. First I checked the settings, but they are the same as before. Then I thought that the memory card would be broken, but when copied of the images straight to a folder on my desktop, I could view them without any problems with Irfanview. But again, when using the same desktop folder to import the images to LR, same error message - "didn't import the images". I have updated the camera with version 2.1 sw and that has been working without a hitch. Any ideas what to look for next?

2. kuyawil

kuyawil New to Mu-43

Dec 15, 2014
    What version of LR do you have? And are you using RAW or JPG or RAW+JPG?

3. Ihamaki

Ihamaki New to Mu-43

May 28, 2014
    Finland
    Timo Ihamaki
    I'm using the latest LR version, 5.* - I'm not by the computer that I use for photo projects and it is nowadays really difficult to find version information on the Adobe website... I normally shoot only RAW, but recently while on the road, I did switch into shooting RAW+JPG half way through the last set of photos to be able to download images to my laptop. Could that have something to do with this?

4. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    After you copied the files to your desktop could light room import them from that folder already on the hard drive?

5. Ihamaki

Ihamaki New to Mu-43

May 28, 2014
    Finland
    Timo Ihamaki
    No, same end result. Precisely, I get the following error messages
    1) Could not copy a file to the requested location
    (this lists 206 files)
    2) These files could not be written
    (this lists 2 files)

I will post this problem also the LR forum at Adobe.com, let's see...

6. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    LR has the option when importing to make a second backup copy to another location. You don't have that aimed at a drive that is full perhaps?

7. Ihamaki

Ihamaki New to Mu-43

May 28, 2014
    Finland
    Timo Ihamaki
    Nice try, but I checked that already! :thumbup: Target drive has plenty of space and turning backup copy off didn't have any effect on the behavior. Search continues...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Try creating a new catalog and see if the files will import into it (from the hard drive). This can help rule out corruption of your catalog.

--Ken

9. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    I dont use LR to import files generally, I use corel to import to a specific file named by year month date, date.. then in Light room I synchronize the month or year.. try manually moving the files to a folder you already have in your LR library and do a synchronize to that main folder see if that works

10. OlyOwl

OlyOwl New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2014
    Try reformatting your memory card...

I had a problem where I couldn't import images into Lightroom 5 from my memory card. Nothing worked. Finally I copied my images off the card onto an external drive and reformatted the card in camera. Lightroom worked like a charm after that. Perhaps that might help?

11. Ihamaki

Ihamaki New to Mu-43

May 28, 2014
    Finland
    Timo Ihamaki
    Solution found! :smile: I had earlier done some extensive set up work on my wireless network and somehow I had managed to reset my rights to the hard drive where I store the photos. How did this happen is a mystery to me, but now I just need to find out the right settings, surprisingly getting back to normal situation isn't that straightforward. As a temporary solution I've been running the LR in admin mode, but that cannot be a permanent solution.

• Like Like x 1