1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Problems adapting a lens.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sammykhalifa, Jan 18, 2013.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Hi,

So I picked up a Vivitar 300mm/5.5 lens with a Minolta mount. I'm sure it is not incredible or anything, but I'd like to try something with a bit longer reach than I currently have and thought it might be fun.

Doing a little more research, I learned that the lens uses what Vivitar called a "T4" adapter, which allowed these lenses to work with most of the popular brands of the day (it's a pretty interesting and clever mechanism that puts it together).

It does not fit on my Minolta adapter. This adapter works with 3 other minolta-formatted lenses I've had. The lens fits onto my old Minolta camera and the cheapo Minolta 2x Televonverter that came with the lens (the teleconverter also fits on my adapter). So it appears that both the lens and adapter are what I thought they were and have otherwise operated perfectly well during their lives.

Looking at the parts, it seems that the "teeth" (is that what you call them?) on the lens and adapter don't exactly match up. There is a probably about an eighth of an inch of overlap on one of them, preventing a fit. It seems to me that both Vivitar and the nameless Chinese company that made my adapter were slightly out of "spec" in opposite directions from each other, leaving them both well within range of working with original Minolta products but creating the problem with each other.

So what would be the best solution for this? Blindly trying to get another Minolta adapter to see if it works? Filing down either the adapter or lens? Forgetting about it? I'm assuming there's no such thing as a T4-Micro 4/3 adapter.

Sorry for the lengthy post here. I've been waiting for this to arrive for over a week and was pretty disappointed it didn't just fit like every other lens I've tried.

2. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    IMHO, take a file to the adapter. Why replace the adapter when filing it may well work. If you botch the filing you can then replace the adapter. There's little sense in spending money to replace the adapter before trying to alter it.

Measure the mount on your old Minolta body and measure the mount on the adapter. Then use a file to modify the adapter to match the "official" mount on the body. Be sure to do an extremely good job of cleaning up after the filing.

3. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I wouldn't take a file to anything, yet. I have a couple TX Vivitars (Konica Mount) and a couple Minolta mount lenses. One of the openings between tabs on the Minolta mount is longer than the others to ensure that the lens can only be mounted into the camera or m43 adapter at a single location. Looking at the lens (TX adapter), one of the mounting tabs has a notch in it - the opening to the left of the notched tab is larger than the other two, it is also where the red mating dot should be located. The m43 adapter's red mating dot, as well as the longest tab, should fit here. If the other two m43 adapter tabs don't fit then yes file the other adapter tabs. Maybe the m43 mfr. put the mating dot in the wrong place.

4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    A reasonable thing to check, but the OP isn't having difficulty with their other MD/MC mount lenses making this an unlikely source for the difficulty.

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Unless the mount is aligned mis-correctly (that is a word right?) on the new lens he got. So is it possible that the T4->MD adapter may have twisted? I would check and make sure it doesn't fit on any of the possible 120deg. positions (all three slot options).

6. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Just to update--as it happened, it was a relatively simple simple outpatient procedure instead of the full blown operation I was expecting. I filed off one little corner and then it fit fine. Maybe if the sun ever comes out again I'll get to try it out.

8428794854_a29b75fe7b. 8428794330_3d7dd1f78f.

• Like Like x 1