Problem with Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 (m4/3) and Olympus Cameras

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by soundimageplus, Aug 23, 2011.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Anyone using a Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 (the new m4/3 one) with an Olympus Pen body?

Mine arrived this morning and the aperture blades are constantly moving and "clicking" adjusting to the light, when the live view or EVF are on.

Only way to stop it is to turn the AE lock on.

I've used it on an E-PL1 and E-P3 and its the same on both. Everything is working fine apart from this, the pictures are perfectly exposed and very sharp.

If you are using this combination with no problems then I know I have a faulty one.
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Is it when you are in bright light?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  3. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    this problem happens with my panasonic lumix lens (14mm and 20mm) on my epl1 as well. on youtube, this has been a documented problem with lumix pancakes (i dont know about zoom lens) on olympus bodies.

[ame=]Oympus E-PL1 and 20/1.7 - YouTube[/ame]
  4. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Yup. Thats it. Does this only happen with Olympus bodies? If so I'm off to get a G3 in the morning!
  5. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Hmmm. My 20mm and 14mm don't don't do it on my E-P3. What Mode (PASM) are you using? I'll try to duplicate the problem.
  6. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    the problem doesnt show up on panasonic bodies (on my gf1) however a way to test if you have this problem is to shine a flashlight into the lens while the camera is on and see if the aperture blades make the noise.
  7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I have seen this on my Panasonic G1 with the Panny 20/1.7. Not wildly clicking, but constantly changing when directing the camera into e.g. a light source. Would have to check what happens on my GH2.
  8. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    When focusing in bright my 20mm clicks when focusing once on my gf1. Try it in low light and see if it still happens. Hopefully it is something small and you don't need a new body.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have a 20mm lens and I've now used it with four Olympus and two Panasonic bodies and have never had anything similar to the problem (shown in the video) with any of them.

I don't know if its a bad lens or a glitch with certain firmware versions, but I've never seen anything close to that. Its a little slower than other lenses to AF, but that's true with any body I've used it on. I don't think switching bodies is the solution here...

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    My E-PL1 is constantly shifting the aperture on the Panasonic 14mm. Not sure why, though at one point I read that Pana bodies immediately jump to the desired aperture and Olys step. Haven't actually checked on my 45-200.
  11. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    I've had nothing like this remotely before either. It make the lens very annoying to use, and in certain situations a real problem.

I was inside a church and it was fine until I pointed it at a light source and it started making this clicking noise. I immediately became very obvious to others there.

It seems obvious that its not common, though I'm surprised at how many people have it. I'm contacting my dealer tomorrow.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    This is peculiar. I've noted this issue on my EP1 before, and I remember doing some research and finding out "it's just the way it is" so I let it go.

However, I just tested it on my EP3, and there's no longer any "dancing aperture"

I'm suddenly even HAPPIER now with my EP3 :)

I am really anxious to get the PL25, though. I hope it doesn't turn up there!

Q: was there a FW update to the 20/1.7 at all, and if so, have you updated yours?

Check this old post:

And then Brian's post related (and linked in the above thread): E-P1 with Lumix 20mm f1.7 first impressions...: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

If your lens isn't on FW 1.1, here's a link at DPR about FW update: Panasonic updates firmware for DMC-GF1 and lenses: Digital Photography Review
  13. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    I have both a GF1 and G3. On hand at work, I have the 14mm/2.5, 20mm/1.7, and 45mm/2.8 lenses. On both bodies, the blades step down just once, but only if I have the fronts of the cameras <15 cm from my 60 watt incandescent desk lamp. My lenses on both bodies do not constantly vary the aperture.

On my 20mm/1.7 in particular, the aperture steps down to about f7.1 when shoved in front of my desktop lamp.

Hope this helps.

14. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    This happens with my 20mm on both my E-PL1 and E-P3 (just tested the E-P3 right now) - tested in A priority.

I thought this was endemic with all the 20mm's... the aperture blades are really loud.
  15. Pen F

Pen F Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    Ok I have the same problem with the e-p3 and the pana 20mm. I just tested the oly 12mm with a flashlight and in also stops down, but doesent make the hellalsih clicking noise.....wonder if there is a mess of bad camera's out there. I will have to say while being anoying on the 20mm it doesen't affect the pictures in any way that I can see......Chris
  16. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    This is a known issue ever since the 20mm/1.7 was introduced, nothing new. It's the lens, not any of the cameras.
  17. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Great. :mad: I really wanted this lens. So much for 'the system'. Guess it's just me and Oly now. Wonder how many years I'll have to wait to get a fast apx. 25mm prime? :frown:
  18. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It's not that big of a deal guys. It only happens in certain situations, not all the time. For what it's worth, this doesn't occur in video, where it would definitely be a dealbreaker (at least in A mode, which I just tested). Ideally it should be silent but dunno, it still takes pictures fine.

If you're worried about the sound - guess what? The shutter is 10x louder!

What I do find strange is some people report not having this issue at all, which would imply there are different revisions or models with different sounding (?) aperture motors.
  19. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    It does happen with the 20mm (on my GF1) but not very noticable (some 20mm seem to be noisier than others).
    However, put the PL25 f1.4 (original 4/3 version) on and it is MUCH more noticable.
    It is stopping down to compensate for very bright light (sunlight usually but will also do it if you point at bright incandescent light also)
    I would imagine it is trying to protect the sensor from too much light (when sensor is permanetly exposed)
    In normal use I have not found it a problem, if i am carrying the camera (via wrist strap) and I hear it, I just power down until I need it for the next shot.
    F1.7 and 1.4 are VERY large apertures, on a very bright sunny day, even 1/4000 sec shutter speed is not enough to bring the exposure down enough.

Mountain out of a mole hill syndrome, I think......