1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Problem with Olympus M. Zuiko 14-42mm II

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by _BG_, Dec 21, 2014.

1. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    Hi to all...

Last night I started to have some problems with the Olympus M. Zuiko 14-42mm that came bundled with my E-PL2... Some times, when I use zoom above 25mm, the lens blocks with the error: Please check the status of a lens.

Does anyone have a clue of what is happening? Do I have to send it to a repair center or it's not worth it, because the repair costs are high?

Thanks in advance for your help...

2. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Unless its under warranty, I wouldn't bother sending it out for repair. You can probably get another one on eBay for $80 or so.

Sorry, no clue what the problem is, maybe something faulty with the electronics.

3. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Clean the contacts on the lens. If it's possible to try it on another body that could help determine where the problem lies. I haven't personally seen this behavior but perhaps someone else has.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Also wiggle / twist the mount. Maybe it's loose.

Barry

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Also try the latest firmware updates for the camera and the lens. In this way I solved a similar problem (lens freezing during AF) with the P20 in the EM-10.

6. _BG_

_BG_ Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 16, 2011
    Viseu - Portugal
    Both the camera and the lens already have the latest firmwares...

Found an answer in another forum, but I'm a bit reluctant in doing it:

7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    That's a different issue. "Check lens status" means the camera has lost communications to the lens. What you have is probably a flex cable that's either bent, damaged and intermittent or it's being pulled out of its connectors when the lens is extended to full zoom. It's not that uncommon with the 14-42's.

Requires disassembly to see what's wrong, and that's not easily done by us amateurs.