Problem with Olympus Em-5ii

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
My trusty EM-5ii developed a problem last night during a photoshoot my wife was doing. The lens on the camera was the 40-150mm 2.8 Pro and when she tried to change it to the 12-40, it locked and I had to stop photographing and try to dismount the lens. I was able to finally get the lens off but no lens will mount now. They will mate and then when trying to turn to lock, they will not move. I was able to get the lens cap on but no lens will mount. The shutter does operate but I am not sure if it is operating correctly.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
My trusty EM-5ii developed a problem last night during a photoshoot my wife was doing. The lens on the camera was the 40-150mm 2.8 Pro and when she tried to change it to the 12-40, it locked and I had to stop photographing and try to dismount the lens. I was able to finally get the lens off but no lens will mount now. They will mate and then when trying to turn to lock, they will not move. I was able to get the lens cap on but no lens will mount. The shutter does operate but I am not sure if it is operating correctly.
I haven't experienced anything like this with any m43 camera, Mel, so not sure I can be of any assistance.

However, it might be helpful it you can provide a bit more detail about what occurred and what the current state is. For instance:
  • What is meant when you state the 40-150 lens "locked" when your wife was removing it? Was it the lens release button that "locked"? Or did the lens fail to rotate after the lens release button was engaged? Or did the lens not disengage from the body after being rotated? Or something else?
  • Was the camera powered off when the lens was initially removed?
  • What action did you take to eventually remove the lens?
  • Is there any damage evident on the mounting elements of either the camera or the lens? Some photos or a short video of the current state might be worth a thousand words here.
  • Can one depress the lens release button? Does the resistance feel normal?
  • What do you mean by "I was able to get the lens cap on"? The rear cap? The front cap? Of which lens?
  • I presume other than the lens, the camera appears to be working (i.e. it can be turned on and off and when powered on the display lights up). Is this correct?
- K

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Photographs of the mounts?

I've also never experienced this behavior.

Real Name
Andrew L

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
  • What is meant when you state the 40-150 lens "locked" when your wife was removing it? Was it the lens release button that "locked"? Or did the lens fail to rotate after the lens release button was engaged? Or did the lens not disengage from the body after being rotated? Or something else?
  • Was the camera powered off when the lens was initially removed?
  • What action did you take to eventually remove the lens?
  • Is there any damage evident on the mounting elements of either the camera or the lens? Some photos or a short video of the current state might be worth a thousand words here.
  • Can one depress the lens release button? Does the resistance feel normal?
  • What do you mean by "I was able to get the lens cap on"? The rear cap? The front cap? Of which lens?
  • I presume other than the lens, the camera appears to be working (i.e. it can be turned on and off and when powered on the display lights up). Is this correct?
I meant that the lens would not turn. The lens release button was pushed and no release. Camera was powered off. I eventually got the lens off by rocking the lens back and forth but it was still not easy, No damage evident to the camera or lens observed. I can push the lens release button and it has normal resistance. I meant I was able to get the BODY cap on the camera and off by pushing the release. I misspoke on calling it a lens cap. the camera does work and something even wackier, I have an old but hardly ever used 40-150mm f4/5.6 lens with plastic mount and it mounts and is easy to take off with the lens release button. None of the metal mount lenses will mount. The plastic mount lens and the body cap work fine. Strange.

Latest threads

Top Bottom