1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Problem with Oly 12-40mm LC-62D lens cap?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by zensu, Sep 25, 2016.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm not trying to stir the pot but some have posted that the Oly lens cap that comes with the 12-40mm PRO (LC-62D) has disintegrated. I luckily have not experienced that issue but when the new 25mm F1.2 PRO was announced I noticed it has a newer style lens hood (LC-62F). This new cap looks just like the lens cap that comes with the Oly 40-150 PRO.
    Maybe Olympus is listening to users complaints? I also wonder if they will start shipping the 12-40 PRO zoom with this newer style cap?
    Bobby
    PS, the new 12-100mm PRO comes with the same lens cap as the 40-150mm PRO (LC-72C).

2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Mine did, but it was also dropped several times over the last (nearly) 3 years.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    There's an Oly 4/3 62mm cap which is easier to use. I got the 'B' from B&H, after I accidentally destroyed mine, although they're out of it now and are showing the wrong picture.

Adorama has the right pic but are also out of stock
    http://www.adorama.com/RecommendFor/iomlc62b.html

4. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    When I got my 12-40 I tucked the lens cap away so it's in pristine condition if I ever choose to sell it, and stuck an inexpensive plastic pinch cap on it (99 cents on eBay).

5. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Same here. I also do not use the lens hood, falls off to easily. I purchased an after market rubber one that will also give a bit of protection against bumps etc.

I like the new lens hoods that have the lock as shown for the new lenses, but I still think I will use the rubber ones.

Regards

6. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I was warned of the cap disassembly issue when I bought my 12-40 used. I simply disassembled it, applied some Gorilla Glue to hold the metal ring to the face of the cap and haven't had any problems in 2 years.
    The hood's a waste of time, as most hoods for wide angle lenses tend to be. The 12-40 is really flare resistant. I use my hand as a shade on the rare times there's a problem.

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The LC-62F doesn't seem be available as a separate item yet. Couple of weeks ago the Olympus Rep was in bric and mortar store and I took my E-M1 to him to look at.

He gave me a funny look when he noticed the Nikon 62mm center pinch cap on the lens, dug in his bag and gave me two Olympus LC-62B center pinch caps. Last ones he had.

8. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    My LC-62D disassembled itself too — I didn't know that it was a known issue. Just needed a couple of drops of cyanoacrylate to fix it.

9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I bought a cheap center pinch cap that works better than the fancy and unreliable Olympus one does. I've had the Olympus one fall off on more than one occasion. :)

10. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    That's what I did, put the lens cap away and got the LC-62B for 43s' lenses but works flawlessly on the 12-40mm PRO zoom.
    Bobby
    PS, I've seen post that the new LC-62F for the 25mm F1.2 PRO lens actually has no springs.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  11. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    It's an issue I've heard about now and then, but not for a while. Mine came apart too, but Olympus replaced it (even though I was a few weeks past warranty on a refurb). I called to ask how to reassemble it, but I figured it out in the end.