1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Problem? with Leica 25/1.4 on GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ripgriffith, Jun 1, 2015.

1. ripgriffith

ripgriffith Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2015
    I recently bought a Leica 25mm Summicron to use with my GX7. I spent several days shooting at f1.4 in camera silent mode without issue, but when I stopped the lens down, to any aperture, I could clearly hear either the shutter or the diaphragm closing. Bear in mind, this is in silent shutter mode. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yes, it's a well documented "issue" with this lens, where the aperture blades can be heard when adjusting aperture in live view. There is no fix for this, it's just how the lens is.

May I ask what event you were shooting where the noise from the aperture blades was too much? If that truly is an issue, and you like the 25mm FoV, I would suggest taking a look at the Olympus f/1.8 version. The actual light transmission isn't very different from the Panasonic (something like 1/4 or 1/3 a stop), so your exposure should only differ by a little.

3. ripgriffith

May 28, 2015
    I do a lot of theatre photography, and the GX7 with its silent mode, is the perfect camera for this, as is the Summilux, and the noise is not an issue since I usually shoot wide open. My only concern is that this noise was a malfunction of the lens. Since it seems to be "normal", I'll concern myself no further. I will say, however, that I am surprised and a bit disappointed in Panny/Leica for not being able to do with this rather pricey lens what they seem to easily do with their cheap kit lenses, i.e., make it silent.

4. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    You also have to remember that this is a much older lens, so it might have been some kind of technical limitation at the time. FWIW, I don't experience the chattering on my PL15mm, which is a much newer lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ripgriffith

May 28, 2015
    Is it really that much older? Mine is the DG model which came out in 2011, I believe, which makes it about the same age as my Panny 14-42, which is perfectly quiet at all apertures.

6. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    There was obviously some limitation in the manufacturing process, because they wouldn't deliberately make their premium lens with worse components than their kit lens. It might be because of the max aperture (f/1.4) was the largest aperture in the system at the time, and is 2.5 stops brighter than the 14-42 kit lens you mention.

I don't know why the aperture blades chatter, all I know is that it's never affected me to the point where it's prevented me from getting the shot I wanted, and the results I get from it are pretty impressive, which is why I still have it today.