1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Problem with G3 Photos

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Mogul, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Hawaiian_Chieftan121126P1000012A.

I took this picture yesterday and noticed when I viewed the uploads that the lines (ropes) seemed to appear as partial images, i.e., they seemed like dashes rather than lines. This images is highly cropped from the original, so I am aware of the noise. Does anybody have an idea why the ropes do not show as whole lines in the full size picture. I will be working on a better example later today and will try to post that. Thank you for any help you can give me in the meantime.

2. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I didn't see any dashes on this image even when I enlarged it. Looks OK to me.

3. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    What I can see is lots of noise. Have you got the ISO turned up, eg: 1600-3200? I assume this was taken in the evening, if it was on an Auto setting the camera may have compensated by upping the ISO for you.

4. Julius

Julius Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2011
    Italy
    Giulio
    Hawaiian_Chieftan121126P1000012A1.

Do you mean those? Well, you can't do anything against optical illusions! :biggrin:

5. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    ISO was 400. Unfortunately the problem doesn't show up when the pictures are cropped for attachment. In the originals the ropes appear to go from standard thickness to gaps. The best I can do is give a graphic representation:

Lines (ropes) that should look like this
    ==================================

Come out like this

======--------- -------- ------ ==========

It's almost as if some on the lines lightened out or thinned to invisibility (lost resolution or contrast), but it also happened when I went up on the nearby bridge and shot toward the north.

I spoke to Panasonic Customer Service, but couldn't understand much of what they were saying to me. A short exchange took 30 minutes, they put me on hold and I lost the connection. At their advice (I think) I reset the settings on the camera. I'll be touring the ship tomorrow or Thursday and will be taking RAW and JPEG shots. If it happens again, i'll cut some examples in PE and try to resize them to illustrate the problem. I'll also try to get some closer shots of the ropes in question (minimum 1/2" diameter; some as big as 1-1/2" hawsers).

6. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    EXIF says that ISO was 5000.

7. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    The picture attached to your original post looks fine to me, considering that you used ISO 5000; I think the problem is not in the camera. Irregularities in the rendering of the ropes don't show up at 100 % viewing, so it must have something to do with the (implicit) resizing for viewing the picture. There are a lot of programs that do not offer optimal viewing of pictures when they have to be resized to fit on the screen. E.g. a well-respected program like Adobe Bridge just shows unsharp pics unless at 100 % viewing.

Good viewing, resizing and other useful features can be had for free from Faststone Image Viewer, most probably you won't see any problems there provided you set smoothing on where applicable. I use this program alongside Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hope this helps.

8. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Aliasing?
    Target resoluion too low?

9. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
  10. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Ah, was viewing it (unzoomed) on iphone. Yeah, they don't look seaparated to me. Just heavy noise from high iso and heavy jog artifacts from extreme cropping probably.

The separated ropes probably due to the viewing condition (what device/browser used?).

11. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    MacBook Pro with Panasonic raw reader/converter and PSE 6.0 (for the jpg and tif files). Am planning on trying Gimp and another couple of programs.