Problem with Eclipse cleaning solution on Sony sensor???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, May 9, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I saw this on talknex: If you are thinking about wet cleaning your sensor with Eclipse - BE WARNED. DONT DO IT!

User had an issue with Eclipse cleaning solution on their NEX6. Since OMD and EPM2/EPL5 (and GH3!) use Sony sensors, I thought I'd cross-post.

I have Eclipse for my Canon. Now, I have to admit I have NEVER had to wet-clean my Oly sensor, so maybe it's moot.

The story ends well, as the user was able to get the sensor clean again.
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Nah. No problem. I've had this on my Leicas a few times, using the visible dust cleaner. Usually this is the result of using the oil cleaner solution instead of the water based one. After using the oil cleaner a second clean with the water based solution will clear it off. I guess he used the Eclipse designed to remove oil spots instead of a clear dry solution.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Based on the OP's last post, it sounds like some residue was left on the sensor after the Eclipse evaporated. It must be contaminated fluid (either from the bottle or maybe from the cleaning swab, or ...). Eclipse is, AFAIK, nearly pure methanol (Eclipse 2 is ethanol). I doubt either would cause such catastrophic problems with the dust shaker outer layer.
  4. peak4

peak4 Mu-43 Rookie

I shouldn't worry too much, the dust shaker sits in front of the filter, so Sony, Panasonic or Kodak as a manufacturer is immaterial.