Problem with E-M10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rjl1246, Feb 15, 2014.

1. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with a new E-M10 that arrived recently and wonder if anyone here can help.

While the battery was charging, I put a memory card in the camera and installed my 45mm which I had used last night taking pictures of the grandkids. When the battery was fully charged, I inserted it, as instructed, and turned it on. What followed I've never experienced with the several Olympus cameras I've owned or currently own, including the E-M5, E-M1, E-P5, and Stylus 1. Here's what's going on. The camera vibrated and made a sound that suggested gears or cogs slipping in rapid succession. The camera screen flickered once or twice while this occurred, this but the screen stayed dark. I tried to think what could trigger this, since it was totally unfamiliar based on my current models. Some guesses included the sensor cleaning mechanism or the image stabilization system attempting to activate but failing dramatically, but beyond that who knows? I checked the battery which was inserted correctly, tried it without the lens, replacing the lens with the body cap, and it did the same thing.

This is particularly scary, as you might guess and seems a clear case of DOA which should mean it should be sent back for a replacement. It doesn't seem right to buy a new camera to send back to Olympus and wait for it to be serviced, if it's not working from the start, and this is well within an acceptable return period. Any ideas or recommendations. Unless someone can explain and I can correct the issue, and I'm not sure that's a likelihood, would it be the best to return it for new camera? I think I would be worried about it failing in the future even if it's corrected, but maybe that's worrying a little too much. What do you think?

I will look forward to hearing from you folks here.

Robert

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Sounds like DOA to me. Wrap it up and send it back!

3. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Thanks for the advice, Paul. I'm really moving in that direction, unless somebody here knows what the problem is
    and how it can be fixed so I can be confident it won't happen again. I appreciate your response. Robert.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Robert - I know it must be really disappointing, but these things happen - it's just Sod's law that it's happened to you. I think in general the reliability of the Oly cameras is no worse than the industry norm, although I do sometimes have lingering paranoia about the IBIS. I suspect if it's as dead as you say, then the likelihood is that they'll send you a new one anyhow. If you lived in the UK, you could return it to the retailer for a full refund or replacement (goods need to be of "merchantable quality" and it's the responsibility of the retailer in the 1st instance). I know that things in the US aren't so easy, but isn't there a "lemon law" or such like?

5. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Thanks, pdk42, for your ideas and concern. BHPhoto has a 30 day return policy for refund or exchange. I am comfortable with that since things like this can happen, but I wondered if others had experienced the issue. It's not looking like an easy fix, so the exchange could well be the best option. Thanks again, Robert.

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    What battery did you use?

7. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    Send it back and let the retailer deal with Olympus. No reason for your purchase to start with months of repairs! Sounds like something is seriously wrong with the camera, and for full purchase price you'd wind up with a refurbished product.

Sent from my One S using Mu-43 mobile app

8. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Hi, dornblaser, I used the battery that came with it, the BLS-5.

Any ideas?

9. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Thanks, Blastop, I appreciate your confirmation of my thoughts, which is exactly what I was hoping for here, unless, of course,
    somebody knew something about the problem. I think it's got to go back. Robert

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No other ideas.

11. plutoniumhunter

plutoniumhunter Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Pardon me, but what's DOA? This puts some doubt in my mind to get the E-M10 now...

12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Dead On Arrival

13. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    As Fred says. I think the term comes from hospital/medical usage, when they bring someone to the hospital after an accident or crime - they are "DOA" if they arrive at the hospital in that condition. I hope this alleviates your doubt about getting the E-M10 now...:rolleyes: All kidding aside, it's probably just bad luck with this particular individual camera that the OP received.

14. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Did you try removing the lens and reseating the lens? Look for any debris on the contacts of the lens and body. Try another lens if you have one.

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Send it back now. Who did you buy it from?

16. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Hello folks,
    Thanks for all the comments so far. I appreciate all your views.

One thing I hope to make clear is that I didn't write this to question this camera or to suggest a major fault with it, unless it turned out that large numbers of buyers were experiencing the same malfunction, which doesn't seem to be the case.

The camera has gotten great reviews. I wondered about returning it, for an exchange not a refund, since I expect to put a good copy to the good use for which it's intended. I also thought someone might have ideas to correct it, although I would probably never feel completely comfortable with it.

The seller was B&H, which has been the source of excellent and well-priced, timely shipped camera gear for me in the past and will, I'm positive, continue to offer the same for years to come.

I hope this clears up some points a little. I didn't want readers to form any general assessments based on my experience, because this camera deserves the enthusiasm already generated since its introduction. I will look forward to hearing more of your views regarding the situation and the problem.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your ideas, experiences, and expertise.

Robert

17. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    It's clear you don't want that camera, have high hopes about Oly doing the right repair and extensive overhaul. I would not trust a camera like this unless it's been really well serviced which Oly seems to overlook it seems. Get a refund and buy a brand new one!

18. rjl1246

rjl1246 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2013
    Ohio
    Robert Lietz
    Hello and thanks again.

I am pretty sure I am going to return it for a new copy.

I appreciate the comments, b_rubenstein, but, having wondered about the lens despite the fact that it had worked perfectly the night before on my E-P5, I removed it, replaced the body cap, and turned it on again, and it did the same thing. I even wondered about some weird possibility with the memory card, which didn't seem likely, but I removed the card and started it up another time, encountering the same problem.

Thanks for your views, everyone. I will look forward to hearing other views as well.

Robert

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Call B&H. They are excellent to deal with in case of problems. All cameras have lemons. That's the sad reality of the contemporary business model, i.e, it's easier to replace some bad ones than to tighten up overall quality control. You clearly had high expectations for this camera and there is no reason those should not be met.

20. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Like was said, call the store. I generally deal with Adorama, but have generally heard nothing but good things about B&H's customer service also. If you just purchased it I would not want to deal with a repair by Olympus.

BTW - there was a thread - I don't remember which photography forum I read it (sorry) - and his problem sounded similar to yours. He also thought it was the IBIS but I believe in his case, after removing the lens and battery, the issue resolved itself. I have had the EM10 and have not experienced what you have, but my advice to him (again, even it the problem "seemed" solved) was to see if he could get an exchange - just for his own piece of mind.

Sorry about your problems - it is a great little camera.