Problem with Aputure Trigmaster Plus and E-M5/G1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by quatchi, Jan 25, 2014.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany

I have a set of four Aputure Trigmaster Plus (not the Plus II version). I am using them together with two YN460-ii and one YN560-ii flashes. The fourth trigger sits atop my E-m5 and is used as transmitter for the flash signal. My problem is that the flashes are only sporadically/randomly firing. Sometimes a couple of times in a row, then multiple times nothing and once in a while they are firing again when I press the shutter. There isn't really a predictable pattern to it. The red led on the transmitter sitting in the hot-shoe always flashes red to indicate it is transmitting the "trigger signal". When the flashes are not firing, the red led on the receiving Trigmasters is not flashing (meaning "no signal received"). From this I would conclude that the Aputures are not probably working together or there might be an interference or something.

Here comes the kicker, however: Whenever I press the two buttons on the fourth Trigmaster (the one set to transmit) to initiate a test triggering, the flashes always fire reliably. No matter which one of the Trigmaster's six channels is selected (of corse, the same channels on all four devices). My next test included using and shortening a PC sync cable on the transmitting Trigmaster. Same result - the flashes always fire.

These are the settings on my four Aputure Trigmaster Plus:
    3x RX - RX/TX (the ones attached to the flashes)
    1x RX - RX/TX (the one on the hot-shoe)
    (underscored means selected)
    All devices set to the same channel (I tried all channels, with no difference)

And on the Oly E-M5:
    Mode dial: M
    Manual flash (the lightning bold symbol with the word 'manual')
    Duration full (the lightning bold symbol with the word 'full')

In order to rule out that there is something wrong with my E-M5's hot-shoe (albeit the red led on the transmitter always flashing when the shutter is pressed), I tried the same setup with my old G1 -> same result. Sometimes they fire and sometimes not. Infrequently only a subset of the three flashes fires (same behavior as with the E-M5).

To sum it up: Using a PC sync cable (and shortening it) as well as using the test buttons on the transmitting Trigmaster, always fires the flashes. Letting the camera trigger the flash via the hot-shoe always brings up the red led on the transmitting Trigmaster but only randomly on the receiving ones (resulting in attached flashes not firing). I also swapped the devices around to no avail.

Has someone a working setup with the E-M5 and the Aputure Trigmaster Plus? Is there something special I should set on the E-M5 (or G1) in order to have the manual flash / trigger working probably? Is there anything else I overlooked? Any tipps are really appreciated as I am completely clueless at the moment.
  2. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    A small update: I can definitely rule out interference problems. I took two of my Trigmasters outdoors with no WiFi or whatsoever polluting the 2.4GHz band. Same unreliable result.

My current guess is that the trigger impuls given by the E-M5 is rather short. It is enough for the transmitter to send the signal but maybe too short for the receivers to reliably pick it up. The test signal (initiated by pushing the buttons on the transmitter), on the other hand, is long enough for the receivers.

In order to verify my guess: Is there a way to increase the trigger time on the E-M5?
  3. space

space New to Mu-43

Mar 10, 2014
    Aputure Trigmaster Plus Problems

Hi Quatchi,

thank you so much for your post! I´m happy, that I found someone with the same problems like me. I bought 3 Trigmaster Plus 9 months ago. Sporadically/randomly firing and it drives me crazy! I use a Nikon D3s/D800 and two Nikon-Compactflashes SB-800 and SB-80DX. Sometimes they fire and sometimes not. Under test-conditions at home mostly everything works fine, but if it becomes serious...I can`t rely on the units.

In situations, when the flashes are not correspondending with the trigmasters, I remarked, that turn the (receiver-)trigmasters off and on helps out off that mess for a while. Another Problem, I had, was the automatical standby-mode of my flashes. I manually turned it out, but if the power is low, standby-mode is started. And if the Flashes are in standby, they need one shutter-release to wake up. Sometimes I use the Trigmasters to fire WALIMEX-Studioflashes, but never had a problem! The Studioflashes are connectet via cable. So maybe it`s a problem with the hot-shoe-connection???

Your theory with the too-short-trigger-time is interesting, but why should it sometimes work and sometimes not?

By the way: Have you noticed, that the channels sometimes can change for themselves? Try to push the chassis and you will see, that you need`nt the channel-button anymore!

Greetings from Berlin,