Problem With An Adapter, Details Within!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by SCT, Aug 13, 2011.

1. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    Hi all.

So I have a Minolta 50mm f/3.5 Macro that I got carried away with and bought a Minolta Bellows III to make it worse.

Well, here's the problem.

Can you see it?

I'm guessing this lens and bellows are from the 70's? Not sure. So of course I needed an adapter (MD). If I use the lens by itself on the camera, even when utilizing a tripod, it's no problem. But when I use the bellows, the tripod has to mount with the bellows to keep the balance so my camera wouldn't tip over. And as you can see in the picture, the camera is some 20 degree tilted. Ultimately, if I don't compensate for that tilt, my pictures would be some 20 degree rotated. Now I can still mount the tripod onto the camera, I just have to be very cautious when I have the bellows fully extended.

I have sent a message to RainbowImaging, very well known ebay seller for wonderful adapters. Response:

Not quite the answer I was hoping for...

Before I go tinkling with stuff which I do on a normal basis, has anyone else encounter a problem like this? Wondering if the adapter is adjustible.
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I have a Leica M39 screw mount adapter from Rainbow Imaging, and it puts the distance and aperture markings on my 1953 lens at the bottom of the lens, a little to the right.
  3. ekoe

ekoe Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2010
    The mount azimut of the adapter appears to be out of position. When you mount the lens on the camera using the adapter only, is you lens focal mark upright?
    It doesn't sound like rainbowimaging is prepared to resolve it themselves, so you might look into the prospect of removing the adapter mount plate and tapping some new threads to position the adapter mount plate so the azimut and focal mark is at the 12 o'clock position.