Problem with 35-100mm F2.8

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Denise.Aitken, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Denise.Aitken

Denise.Aitken New to Mu-43

Feb 15, 2013
    Hi all
    Firstly let me say I am no guru in using my OMD camera yet (my brain still thinks in Canon mode) and I need some help as I have a problem I can't work out .

I bought the body and the 12-35 Panasonic Vario F2.8 to start and ordered the Panasonic 35-100mm lens. The larger lens came in January and I am struggling with it. Initially I thought it was me, but I really think I have a problem and wonder (before returning it), if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

When using this lens, the camera often 'freezes' and I can't seem to do anything other than turn it off. It sounds like the drive/stepping motor is stuck. The image in the view finder and/or LCD freezes as if on playback.

I have the image stabiliser turned off on the lens.
    I recently updated the firmware on camera and lenses.

Any suggestions?
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Presumably its just this lens - the other one is fine ?

Know anyone else with an m43 body to see if it exhibits the same behaviour ? Maybe try it at on a camera store body ?

I had the same thing happen on my E-PM1 - it seemed to freeze before taking a shot. It took me a short while to realise I'd accidentally enabled the 10 sec self-timer! I felt pretty stupid but I was glad nothing was broken.

You could try doing a factory reset on the body - clear any oddball settings.

Other than that, systematic troubleshooting using different lens/body combinations is your best bet to try and isolate the problem component.
  3. Gurin

Gurin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    A long shot, as you are not an experienced Olympus user. Be sure that you do not push the lens eject button while mounting the 35-100. It is not unusual to screw the lens past the contacts. Then it will not communicate correctly with the body.
  4. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    The omd is buggh that way, it hasn't happened to me yet